Reload this Page >

SOCCER IN VANCOUVER

Wikiposts

SOCCER IN VANCOUVER

Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:21 am
Just Joined

COMBI13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SOCCER IN VANCOUVER

Hello - Really hoping someone can help me here..!

I'm an english guy (29) who's been out in Vancouver for 6 weeks - I used to play soccer (football!) every weekend back home for a local side - Really miss the runaround..!

Whether it be a casual kick about or organized league - does anyone out there know how I can get involved over here..?

I'm living just outside the city on 18th Avenue east...

Thanks in Advance..!

Steve
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:13 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SOCCER IN VANCOUVER

How dare you use the S word, its Football plan and simple..................there is a good football scene in Vancouver with Sunday Leagues etc. What team do you support?
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Ha..! I agree..! I was just trying to be 'universal!!' - Would hate to turn upto a game in me boots and find myself running with an egg shaped ball..!

I support the mighty Rushden & Diamonds..!!

Steve
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:04 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COMBI13
Ha..! I agree..! I was just trying to be 'universal!!' - Would hate to turn upto a game in me boots and find myself running with an egg shaped ball..!

I support the mighty Rushden & Diamonds..!!

Steve
I've found most real fans of football call it football, its only those people who's kids play it and are not interested themselves that call it Soccer.

Ah the mighty Diamonds, I know the ground as I use to work in Wellingborough.

I'm an Arsenal fan, I'll ask some fellow Gooners in Vancouver who play where and get some details for you
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Brownstar
I've found most real fans of football call it football, its only those people who's kids play it and are not interested themselves that call it Soccer.

Ah the mighty Diamonds, I know the ground as I use to work in Wellingborough.

I'm an Arsenal fan, I'll ask some fellow Gooners in Vancouver who play where and get some details for you
I lived in New Zealand for a while and it was the same there with soccer & football...

I'm from Irthlingborough, just a stone's throw from Nene Park..! My bruvva's a gooner too, he didn't have the patience for the Diamonds - ha..!

How funny you used to work in wellingborough..!

I'd be very appreciative of any information on where I can get a kickabout or even join a league team - Thanks so much for taking the time for me...

Speak soon - Steve
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

KS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really nice

It might be worth having a look at http://www.bcsoccerweb.com/classifieds.htm

Personally though, as far as I'm concerned, football is what the Lions play.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:44 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

what the Lions play.
We went once as a guest of a mate and sat in their Labatts box. We drank free beer til it came out our ears and laughed ourselves silly when the half entertainment police dog display team did absolutely everything wrong. I swear it was one of the funniest things ive ever seen. I think Calgary slaughtered the BC Lions that night. Vancouver's half time 'cigarettes' were interesting aswell. Great night.

Mate there's loads of Brits playing football. Dont play in the beach soccer tournament btw, I nearly threw up a lung. Its madness beach soccer!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:32 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KS2008
It might be worth having a look at http://www.bcsoccerweb.com/classifieds.htm

Personally though, as far as I'm concerned, football is what the Lions play.
I with you these immigrants that can't even follow their own 100+ years terminology for a sport really will have a tought time settling in.

Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Grah
I with you these immigrants that can't even follow their own 100+ years terminology for a sport really will have a tought time settling in.

Took a few seconds but I've worked out your gibberish..........its Football, always has been always will. It was referred to as Soccer for a while but it has always officiall been Football.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:14 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Football has roots thousands of years ago across many countries of the world but in England it became taken up by the working classes and frowned upon by those in authority and the upper classes. It was a very rough and dangerous sport at first, known as "mob football" and was little more than a violent street battle. The first use of the phrase "football" or rather "fut ball" was in 1424 in the editc reproduced on the right, but what about "soccer"?

If you look up at the closest-sounding modern word, "sock", a couple of interesting points appear. The modern word comes from an old English word spelt "socc". More interestingly this was not a snug, fabric covering as it is today, but back then it meant a light shoe and it comes from the Latin "soccus". The word "socc" to mean "shoe" first appeared in 725AD but was there any evidence of it relating to football?

When Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned in Carlisle Castle in Tudor times it is documented that she watched the game of football, indeed her retinue played for two hours "strongly" and "skillfully". And, by an amazing coincidence, on this map of Carlisle Castle, it is remarkable to note that certain fields are labelled "Castle Soceries".

http://www.gavinrymill.com/origin-of...rd-soccer.html

So have fun watching your soccer matches.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
Football has roots thousands of years ago across many countries of the world but in England it became taken up by the working classes and frowned upon by those in authority and the upper classes. It was a very rough and dangerous sport at first, known as "mob football" and was little more than a violent street battle. The first use of the phrase "football" or rather "fut ball" was in 1424 in the editc reproduced on the right, but what about "soccer"?

If you look up at the closest-sounding modern word, "sock", a couple of interesting points appear. The modern word comes from an old English word spelt "socc". More interestingly this was not a snug, fabric covering as it is today, but back then it meant a light shoe and it comes from the Latin "soccus". The word "socc" to mean "shoe" first appeared in 725AD but was there any evidence of it relating to football?

When Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned in Carlisle Castle in Tudor times it is documented that she watched the game of football, indeed her retinue played for two hours "strongly" and "skillfully". And, by an amazing coincidence, on this map of Carlisle Castle, it is remarkable to note that certain fields are labelled "Castle Soceries".

http://www.gavinrymill.com/origin-of...rd-soccer.html

So have fun watching your soccer matches.
ZZZZZzzzzzz

Actually very intresting stuff.

I think I'll need to start a similar thread but for Montreal, as I will want to keep playing FOOTBALL when I land in a few months time!