Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So...why is Canada so popular?

Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:16 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So...why is Canada so popular?

Originally Posted by angelic_fruitcake
I have to confess that when I was in Alberta I felt 'at home' - all the bits I like about the UK without the grot. Mind you, Banff is pretty special. Canmore was nice too, and we didn't see much of Calgary TBH.
LOL. Well at least that's more realistic than falling in love with the Canadian pavilion at DisneyWorld's EPCOT Center and deciding you want to move to Canada.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daedra
Member... DUH

He He He, i might just send you some Karma for that
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
What comes after senior?

Hopefully the realisation that you can just go to your user profile and edit it to type in whatever you want
Doh !! I'm slowly beginning to get to grips with all this.

Thanks.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:19 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

The people.
The differences combined with the similarities.
The feeling of living at the edge of the new world instead of the outskirts of the old.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:27 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
He He He, i might just send you some Karma for that
Have you spread enough first? *lol* Iaink helped me alot get my bearings when I first came on here and actually bothered to read the site FAQ's
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Daedra
Have you spread enough first? *lol* Iaink helped me alot get my bearings when I first came on here and actually bothered to read the site FAQ's
Yes i just found out about the spreading it around bit, so you will have to wait for yours.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelic_fruitcake
....'cos all the best Brits are already here
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
How's the holiday in the land of milk and honey going?
Very nice. We have access to a few things here that we don't in Canada and are exploiting that to the full. The main ones are beer (yes, ok we live by the Feathers but otherwise beer in Canada is a problem) and access to the countryside. We've walked miles today on public rights of way, the only part of North America I know to have anything comparable is California.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:49 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Very nice. We have access to a few things here that we don't in Canada and are exploiting that to the full. The main ones are beer (yes, ok we live by the Feathers but otherwise beer in Canada is a problem) and access to the countryside. We've walked miles today on public rights of way, the only part of North America I know to have anything comparable is California.
I am so very jealous. Should however be doing much of the same soon, I hope.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:53 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

We've walked miles today on public rights of way, the only part of North America I know to have anything comparable is California.
Uhm.........forest service roads and singletrack trails winding across Crown Land/National/Provincial Parks ? There's only about 1bn KM's of 'um.
Man you ON people have some serious issues.

Rich.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Our politicians are slightly less mad???
Traditionally, but Harper's bat shit crazy, you have to look to someone like Santorum to match him in the US.

Our neigbours occasionally have an interest in the world beyond there own "state"
Well, yes, Canadians are interested in their country of birth as well as the town in which they live.

Less of a "god and country first" attitude, its more live and let live.
That's a bit thin, the CRAP was very much a religious party and the former members are still religion firsters. There are just as many cars with fishes on in Toronto as in Denver.

Day to day though these points don't matter, one wouldn't usually know the religion of one's neighbours in either country except in extreme cases such as Utah or Ontario where the schools are segregated.

I think Canada's of interest because it's like America but the idea's a bit less scary; Canada has healthcare.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dingbat
I am so very jealous. Should however be doing much of the same soon, I hope.
Alas, we have to come back next week.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:58 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

.. one wouldn't usually know the religion of one's neighbours in either country except in extreme cases such as Utah.
Simple........

Religion = spouse count ?
Sub-religion = age of spouse(s) ?

Rich.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:03 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

There are just as many cars with fishes on in Toronto as in Denver.
Only Denver is a much smaller place (about half or a 5th the size, depending how wide you want to define it)...so a higher proportion of drivers are relying on god to get them to their destination rather than actually paying attention to driving

Last time I checked Harper was not completely frothing at the mouth, had the odd sensible thing to say, and most importantly has not started any illadvised wars resulting in thousands of pointless deaths and a worsening international situation (yet). Generally he has not been as bad as I was expecting...but then hes still on his best behaviour isnt he..one eye on the inevitable mid term election that all minority governments succum to.

The political climate does have a day to day affect on everybodies state of mind I think. I find Canada quite a relaxing, stressfree place to live. Thats one thing I like about it. Enjoy the UK while you are over there...seen any chavyness yet?

I think Canada's of interest because it's like America but the idea's a bit less scary; Canada has healthcare.
Much truth in that I suspect, also part of the appeal might be the slower pace of life, although how true that is if you end up in a large city I dont know. ALso less violent (gun related) crime than the US. Fewer 'staylans than oz...and closer to the motherland.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 17th 2006 at 7:06 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Rich_007
less paranoid
less social mind control
less fearful of foreign people with funny accents smelly food and dark skin
less fundamentalist fervour
less racial social divide
less of a poverty gap
slightly less hated in the middle east
more tolerant of 'unknowns'
less hillbilly
less of a post apocalyptic inner city ghetto/third world subculture
more open to world events
more of a social/environmental conscience
less starving working poor/underclass
higher literacy rates
longer life span
lower obesity rates
lower diabetes level

Note I say "less", not "not".
All this translates in some way shape or form to a better QOL in Canada. People rant about US having a higher average gross earnings...that's proven to be skewed and affected by higher med contributions, less of a social blanket, and by a higher varaince between super high and working poor earnings.

Rich.

Well, I don't know about BC but, in Ontario the average white Canadian is grossly fat and terrified of queers and foreigners, they're even fearful of people from Toronto (who admittedly do tend to be brown and/or queer). I think West Virginia and Mississippi have more of a redneck culture but Kentucky, for example, is a hotbed of liberalism compared to backwoods places like Orangeville or Barrie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.