Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So...why is Canada so popular?

Old Nov 17th 2006, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

angelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really nice
Default So...why is Canada so popular?

I know why I want to move there...three weeks over there last winter was the clincher. I'm attracted by the open space, the up-and-coming vibes about Calgary, the thought of living an hour or so from the Rockies, the friendliness of the people in Alberta.

What makes you want to go? People who are already there - was it what you expected?

I am damn well prepared to work hard, I don't expect a job to fall into my lap, I don't want Canada to be another England...but I do want to change my life.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So...why is Canada so popular?

Originally Posted by angelic_fruitcake

Because it is so close to the US :scared:
Old Nov 17th 2006, 4:38 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Because despite what some people think it's not the festering zoo/strife-torn despotism/fascist state/land of fear/land of the un-free/third world country that is the United States of Paranoia[/QUOTE]

Rich.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Because despite what some people think it's not the festering zoo/strife-torn despotism/fascist state/land of fear/land of the un-free/third world country that is the United States of Paranoia

Rich.[/QUOTE]

What are the day-to-day practical differences between living in the US and living in Canada? I'll give you that in the US you, or your employer, has to arrange healthcare whereas in most provinces the government does it, but otherwise how is it different (in similar locations, say, Toronto vs. Chicago or Maine vs. Newfoundland, I know Miami isn't like Moose Factory)?
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:24 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

What are the day-to-day practical differences between living in the US and living in Canada? I'll give you that in the US you, or your employer, has to arrange healthcare whereas in most provinces the government does it, but otherwise how is it different (in similar locations, say, Toronto vs. Chicago or Maine vs. Newfoundland, I know Miami isn't like Moose Factory)?
Our politicians are slightly less mad???

Our neigbours occasionally have an interest in the world beyond there own "state"

Less of a "god and country first" attitude, its more live and let live.

Why is Canada popular? I dont know that it is that popular...far more Brits head to Oz. Far more would head to the US if there was a convenient immigration route to do it.

I guess if its popular its 'cos its pretty civilised, English is the langage of choice, and Canada will take us in
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

How's the holiday in the land of milk and honey going?
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:32 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
How's the holiday in the land of milk and honey going?
Wehey! How did you get up to 185 posts, just the other day I was congratulating you on becoming a senior! *lol*

Sorry.. continue... I'm listening
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

angelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really nice

I know nothing about living in the US and I have no desire to find out! My brother went to Aus, and I want to go to Canada. Spreading my family out all over the place! But in UK we have the National Health Service...which everyone complains about.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelic_fruitcake

I know nothing about living in the US and I have no desire to find out! My brother went to Aus, and I want to go to Canada. Spreading my family out all over the place! But in UK we have the National Health Service...which everyone complains about.
I think you'll find that Canadians complain about theirs too.

I did not know where to go until i read one of Rich's posts and he sold it to me
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Daedra
Wehey! How did you get up to 185 posts, just the other day I was congratulating you on becoming a senior! *lol*

Sorry.. continue... I'm listening
Hey Daedra, what comes after a senior?
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Canada used to be described as a blend of the USA and the UK or Americans with manners.

I guess that has now changed since I understand Brits have become more Mercanized.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by flashman
Canada used to be described as a blend of the USA and the UK or Americans with manners.

I guess that has now changed since I understand Brits have become more Mercanized.
I have to confess that when I was in Alberta I felt 'at home' - all the bits I like about the UK without the grot. Mind you, Banff is pretty special. Canmore was nice too, and we didn't see much of Calgary TBH.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:03 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Member... DUH
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:05 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

What comes after senior?

Hopefully the realisation that you can just go to your user profile and edit it to type in whatever you want
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:11 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33[/QUOTE

less paranoid
less social mind control
less fearful of foreign people with funny accents smelly food and dark skin
less fundamentalist fervour
less racial social divide
less of a poverty gap
slightly less hated in the middle east
more tolerant of 'unknowns'
less hillbilly
less of a post apocalyptic inner city ghetto/third world subculture
more open to world events
more of a social/environmental conscience
less starving working poor/underclass
higher literacy rates
longer life span
lower obesity rates
lower diabetes level

Note I say "less", not "not".
All this translates in some way shape or form to a better QOL in Canada. People rant about US having a higher average gross earnings...that's proven to be skewed and affected by higher med contributions, less of a social blanket, and by a higher varaince between super high and working poor earnings.

Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.