Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So when does it "get better"

So when does it "get better"

Old Jan 15th 2020, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

no good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So when does it "get better"

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
It is but have you seen how much it costs? I have a weakness for French Vanilla (don't judge me) and the last one I bought from a Tim Horton's in Manchester cost over £3 for the regular size. Plus the cup they served it managed to be even more cheap and flimsy than the Canadian equivalent so when the wind picked up, the lid flew off and went sailing down the street.
Costs? The prices of the majority of things here, from the basics of food, to the most important such as a roof over your head - in relation to the 'Living / Minimum' Wage - is nothing short of scandalous in my humble opinion
Old Jan 15th 2020, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

no good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

What made you think in the 1st place that Canada would/might be better?

I didn't. I do concede though, the drier climate, sunnier summers is 'better' at times. I mean, I no longer have a garden like I did have in the UK to enjoy it... but I can take a wander to Walmart in my flip flops

Did someone have a gun pointed at your head to move to Canada?

No, something just as deadly... a wedding ring... and a tearful plead that "I just want to try it"... "its what I've always wanted"...

Sure Canada has its challenges for newcomers from a variety of countries. I doubt people from Somalia, Eritrea, Ethiopia and a few others rarely complain about what Canada has to offer compared to their home countries.

Couldn't agree more. These unfortunate people really do have REAL reasons to emigrate....

I know it's hard not to compare but that is one of the downfalls that a lot come up against.

Yeah, I'm guilty just like everyone else. But you know, It's completely normal to do so in my opinion.

If someone buys a new shiny expensive car, but it just doesn't "drive the same" compared to their old one.. they express it.

If someone buys a new armchair, but it just doesn't "feel as comfortable" as the old one... they can express it.

If someone used to own their home, and are now 'stuck' renting for the foreseeable future....

If someone had and gave up a sought after/stable career that had many many perks, and are now in a temporary contact job...

If someone was relatively secure financially, but are now faced with uncertainty...

If someone feels most days that they don't 'fit' in....

Its hard not to compare.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

carolg2712 is an unknown quantity at this point

Whilst I can sympathize with your situation, I am wondering if you are now looking back at the UK with rose colored glasses and a 'grass is greener' way of thinking. The UK is not the country you left 3 or 4 years ago; Brexit has completely divided us, the status of the union is on a knife edge, and whilst politics has stabilized since the election in December there is still a lot of uncertainty about what our future might hold outside of the EU and with the rest of the world. I'm not sure if there are the quality of jobs available that you may have left behind (my husband has had to do short term contracts for the last 5 years as no permanent job offers forthcoming despite his best efforts and the gaps between contracts are getting longer). I can only get fixed term contracts of one and two years here and there, so a little more secure but still not ideal. One of the main benefits of the UK, however, is leave entitlement, (holidays, sick leave, paid maternity/paternity leave ) but that may have the potential to reduce following Brexit, as much of it was legislated by the EU and we could end up with a more Americanized system in time. I really hope that the NHS survives everything though as that is an excellent resource despite people complaining, especially when compared to other international health systems.

I have also lived in the same Yorkshire town for the last 18 years and don't feel that I really fit in, despite getting involved with the community wherever I can (parkrun, girlguiding, air cadets, sea cadets). I'm not sure if I can make Canada work in the next couple of years but I really want to try, and after 20 years of marriage, my husband is finally coming round to the idea, but who knows what hurdles we'll have to jump through to get there (although as a Canadian citizen, I do have one less hurdle, which is a blessing).

I hope you figure out where you should be and make a success of whatever you end up doing. Life is too short to let the world get you down and I am a firm believer in "life is what you make of it", but also that some things need a lot of work and sometimes feel like it isn't worth the hassle!

Good luck!
Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolg2712

One of the main benefits of the UK, however, is leave entitlement, (holidays, sick leave, paid maternity/paternity leave ) but that may have the potential to reduce following Brexit, as much of it was legislated by the EU and we could end up with a more Americanized system in time. I really hope that the NHS survives everything though as that is an excellent resource despite people complaining, especially when compared to other international health systems.
Never ceases to amaze me the number of people who claim this as fact..

On paid maternity leave..Currently, EU legislation means workers are entitled to paid maternity leave for a minimum of 14 weeks. It is mandatory to take at least the first two weeks. This was introduced in 1992. This leave must be paid at “an adequate allowance subject to national legislation”. In the UK, you can get maternity pay for up to 39 weeks. You get 90% of your average weekly earnings (before tax) for the first six weeks, and £148.68 or 90% of your average weekly earnings (whichever is lower) for the next 33 weeks. Maternity pay is taxed. There are some conditions, you need to have worked for the employer for 26 weeks and be on at least £118 per week. Those that aren't can claim maternity allowance.

On holiday pay..The EU enforced a minimum of 4 weeks paid holiday leave in 1993. This was put into UK law in 1998, before there'd been no general regulations although some had it written into their contracts. Then in 2009, the UK increased paid holiday pay to 5.6 weeks (or 28 days based on a 5 day week) This was done to stop the employers from including the Bank holidays in the 4 weeks. So today, UK legislation guarantees the workers the EU minimum of 4 weeks plus the 8 Bank holidays (England and Wales)

On sick pay..The UK has set a maximum period of 28 weeks for those too sick to work (some exclusions apply for agricultural workers) to claim statutory sick pay.
The EU doesn't set a minimum sick leave or sick pay legislation for member states.

On the NHS, it's never received more funding than it currently gets. It needs improving for sure but it's like putting water into a bucket that's got a hole in it. First you need to fix the hole.

Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DMajor
.... On the NHS, it's never received more funding than it currently gets. It needs improving for sure but it's like putting water into a bucket that's got a hole in it. First you need to fix the hole.
The biggest "hole" is that the number and range of cures keeps on increasing, and there is no reason to expect that pattern to end.

AFAICT when the NHS was created there was an expectation that within a few years all the hernias would be fixed, all the decayed teeth filled, and everyone with poor vision would have their horn-rimmed NHS spectacles, and then the costs would fall. Obviously the opposite has happened with an almost continuous stream of new treatments and procedures becoming available. Now expensive surgery like hip replacements and heart bypasses is commonplace, and there are incredibly expensive treatments for many cancers. Then there are the massively expensive scanning machines of several types that can search out more diseases and ailments to fix. If only there was unlimited funds to pay for all this!
Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by no good name
Haha, they stop signs drive me bonkers too....

Before moving here, I used to hear stories about the standard of driving (in the GTA) .. I honestly can not stand it here. There is ZERO road etiquette. I mean, do people not get taught / tested on the basics?? MOVE OVER to the inside (slow) lane if NOT OVERTAKING!
Interesting you bumped a 7 month old thread for this!

A lot of the driving etiquette issues come down to collectivism vs individualism. In the big cities in Canada people act very individualistic, people drive thinking "I need to get from A to B" not "I am joining a road and using a highway system full of other drivers also trying to get where they need to go." - it's why getting transit systems improved is always such a fight and why everyone wants to live in a detached house. The UK has an element of this too but I think the fact there are also so many smaller towns and villages peppered around the country, combined with a pub culture, creates a more collectivist culture overall.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Never ceases to amaze me the number of people who claim this as fact..
I think you are rather missing the point. Two points actually.

The difference between the UK and Canada is the main one and as has been well documented the UK is streets ahead of Canada in respect of leave. Only the privileged few get what they would have got in the UK.

In terms of the EU, it doesn't really matter whether the UK has better minimums than the EU - some things are better some aren't. The fact is that where the EU guarantees a minimum, EU member states cannot go under those minimums.

If no longer bound by those minimums, the UK may well fall to or below them. There's already legislation regarding workers rights on the horizon.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by no good name
Haha, they stop signs drive me bonkers too....

Before moving here, I used to hear stories about the standard of driving (in the GTA) .. I honestly can not stand it here. There is ZERO road etiquette. I mean, do people not get taught / tested on the basics?? MOVE OVER to the inside (slow) lane if NOT OVERTAKING!
I do 100% agree with this, I am happy living in Canada....but the standard of driving in the GTA in particular the 401 is a disgrace.....its a pet hate of mine - dangerous undertaking, tailgating, swerving across three lanes of traffic, motorists not letting you in the next lane when you have nowhere to go in the lane you are in

...... and then as you say the stop signs many seem to want to have a picnic there! My ex girlfriend (Canadian) used to say about me, "Oh yes Paul thinks stop signs are a suggestion"

An then all the police bang on about is speed! Speed is not the problem!!! its bad inconsiderate driving thats the issue!! The Autobahn in Germany proves that.

Now you have started me! lol
Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think you are rather missing the point. Two points actually.
Not missed anything..when carolg2712 said 'that may have the potential to reduce following Brexit' she is merely speculating. Pretty much the same way as you have done when saying 'the UK may well fall to or below them'..

I may go to the bar tonight for a couple of beers, then again, I may not..

Old Jan 16th 2020, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I do 100% agree with this, I am happy living in Canada....but the standard of driving in the GTA in particular the 401 is a disgrace.....its a pet hate of mine - dangerous undertaking, tailgating, swerving across three lanes of traffic, motorists not letting you in the next lane when you have nowhere to go in the lane you are in
Classic example this morning on the 401 Eastbound, coming up to Trafalgar exit. I'm on the near side lane pulling a horse trailer and saw this car steaming up the inside of me doing about 140kmh, his lane is exit only but he comes straight across me into lane 2 just missing me and nearly clipping the car in front who was braking!! Very close call, but he'll probably do it again on the way home to someone else..!
Old Jan 16th 2020, 8:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Not missed anything..when carolg2712 said 'that may have the potential to reduce following Brexit' she is merely speculating. Pretty much the same way as you have done when saying 'the UK may well fall to or below them'..
Apart from the already announced aspect.

Old Jan 16th 2020, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Interesting you bumped a 7 month old thread for this!
Th thread was updated by the OP I think, hence the bumping

i simply replied to his updated comments.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

There have been a few announcements around workers rights and stuff. I just have the dubious honour of studying the Withdrawal Agreement for work
Old Jan 16th 2020, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

No, still don't know what you're on about.
Try again.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 12:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

No, still don't know what you're on about.
Try again.
Wasn't the ability to reduce workers' rights central to the Brexit campaign? I thought Johnson wanted out of the EU so he could create an island maquiladora; paying the peasants little and feeding them poisoned chickens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.