Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So when does it "get better"

So when does it "get better"

Old Apr 5th 2019, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

no good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So when does it "get better"

Originally Posted by Rete
Do you have the better home? Better employment? More leisure time?

Nope.

It is difficult to 'let go' of the emotional connection you had with the UK. And no one says that you need to. There is truth in the saying that you can never go home again. If you returned tomorrow, it will be different. Your friends will no longer be there for you as they once before. They have moved on without you. Your family will be happy to see you, but they, too, have settled into a life that doesn't include seeing you daily, weekly, monthly.

I disagree. I have stayed close friends with the same group from high school. Meeting up for a drink or 6, conversations, interactions would pretty much be the same I'd say.

I try now never to compare the two places. The culture is not my culture and never will be. I can accept it for what it is, someone else's way of life, and I can adopt some of the nuances of the culture but it will always be foreign to me.

Good outlook. I have taken this on board since you posted. It's helped a little.

Hope you find your way out of your discontent and start finding that life isn't as bad as you think.
Some very rare moments, it's not. You know, when I'm sleeping

Old Apr 5th 2019, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

no good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
This is exactly it, you have to do and pursue things that you could never have done in the UK. .
I can not think of 1 thing that I could not do in the UK that Canada / Ontario holds a speciality on...

(Skiing, Mountain climbing, Hillwalking, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Mountain Biking, Kayaking, Canoeing, Ice Skating etc etc ....) even the beloved 'TIMMIES' average coffee is now available in Glasgow.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbo2012
Sorry to hear this. In which part of Canada are you living, and what was your motivation for moving here?

Are there specific things about the UK you really miss?
One of the most expensive areas in the overcrowded GTA.
Motivation? grass is greener syndrome..

Yeah, every single average thing not being "awesome", in a completely obvious fake twang
Old Apr 5th 2019, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Sometimes people move as a compromise for a spouse, a job or other reasons and may not necessarily want or like where they move to. Unless single, compromises sometimes have to be made with the other people in ones life.

And of course you truly wont know what it's like to live in a country until you actually live in it, some may visit, love it as a visitor over multiple trips, decide to move, then once living here/there/wherever full-time realize its not a good fit for them, you never truly experience what its like living in a country by just visiting. Some people can accept change and adapt better and such as well.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the most expensive areas in the overcrowded GTA.
That might be a big part of the problem right there.

Motivation? grass is greener syndrome.
No shame in that. You never know until you try something.

Yeah, every single average thing not being "awesome", in a completely obvious fake twang
Ha ha, yeah I hear you. But it's still preferable to the general cynicism and negativity that is so sadly prevalent in the UK.
Old Apr 6th 2019, 12:14 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

It can take awhile to adjust. I’m at 4.5 years and I’m still not completely there. I don’t know if that will change in the future.

Canada is home now for sure but Vancouver will not be forever. I dislike the city living now and want to move to the surburbs.

I don’t have the friendship circles that I had/still have in the UK and that gets to me but everything else isnt too bad. I get on great with my partners friends and co-workers and my job is ok.

Nothing is is ever going to be perfect but you have to try and see the positives. Would I ever return to the UK to live...hell no!
Old Apr 6th 2019, 12:18 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by no good name
I think most of us have commented on this. I'm not sure when I really started noticing that it stopped bothering me, some time back, but I've been here over 14 years now.

If time allows, maybe spend a nit more time on BE for the humour. It's become a bit dead in the Canada part but maybe you can help get it back to what it was.

One thing Canada does have over the UK - easy access and choice for footie. No good if you're not a fan though.

Are you missing Brit telly? Plenty of options for that.

Old Apr 6th 2019, 1:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Culture_Shock-Canada

There's some really good 'articles' in the Wiki on Canada and the challenges of living here: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...ada_Challenges
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Fitting_into_Canada

I'm one of those that felt at home here from day 1.. yes I miss UK pubs and castles.. walks on the downs, but you can't have everything! Give it a little time... you might even grow to love it.. I think the biggest thing is NOT to have expectations... take each day and each experience for what it is.. and don't expect too much from anyone or anything.. when you don't have expectations you don't have disappointments when they aren't met! Remind yourself of why you came here in the first place....

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 6th 2019 at 1:19 am.
Old Apr 6th 2019, 1:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I can not think of 1 thing that I could not do in the UK that Canada / Ontario holds a speciality on...

(Skiing, Mountain climbing, Hillwalking, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Mountain Biking, Kayaking, Canoeing, Ice Skating etc etc ....) even the beloved 'TIMMIES' average coffee is now available in Glasgow.
Things I can, and have, done in Ontario that were not open to me in the UK are sailing and horse riding.
Old Apr 6th 2019, 1:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

(Skiing, Mountain climbing, Hillwalking, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Mountain Biking, Kayaking, Canoeing, Ice Skating etc etc ....) even the beloved 'TIMMIES' average coffee is now available in Glasgow. ....
So if you could do all those things in the UK, and can also do them in Canada, where's the problem?
Old Apr 6th 2019, 2:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So if you could do all those things in the UK, and can also do them in Canada, where's the problem?
Probably costs more in Canada ha ha ha

Old Apr 6th 2019, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I would hazard a guess that access to all these sports is easier in Canada ............. certainly you could do 5 or 6 of those activities in 1 day in winter OR summer if you moved to a different area than the GTA, such as Alberta, BC, parts of NS, Quebec. I can't think of one region in the UK where you could climb a mountain in the morning, go mountain biking after lunch, kayak or canoe on the ocean or lake, fish for your dinner, and camp that night. Fishing and hunting is all but impossible for ordinary Joe Blow in the UK, is it not???

Most of those activities would also be cheaper here, not to count the cost of getting to them..

Try travelling around, seeing more of Canada than the GTA region.

If you still feel the same, you HAVE to sit down with your spouse, and, yes, your children, and talk it out with them. You'll only get more and more miserable, and make life harder for them to live with you if you do not do that.
Old Apr 6th 2019, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

It will take you, if your like me, around 5 years to feel you belong and appreciate what the country offers, but again if you are like me, even after over 52 years you won't ever call it home despite having had a very good life.
Old Apr 6th 2019, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

seascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by scilly
.....I can't think of one region in the UK where you could climb a mountain in the morning, go mountain biking after lunch, kayak or canoe on the ocean or lake, fish for your dinner, and camp that night....
I can think of many regions just in Scotland.
Old Apr 6th 2019, 11:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seascape

I can think of many regions just in Scotland.
Lake District, Snowdonia and, if you're willing to go Canadian distances, the Alps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.