Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So what skill category am I in??????

So what skill category am I in??????

Old Jan 21st 2002, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Just been looking through the list of valid employment types for immigration to Canada and cannot seem to place myself....can anyone help....or am I stuffed?

11 years IT experience, of which 4 was in training (IT) which also included some programming, networking etc...then the rest of the time working as an IT Support Manager and Infrastructure Consultant (which also involved 'dabbling' in programming as well as heavy emphasis on LAn, WAN, Microsoft Products etc).

Would I be best to try and make everything sound like I am a programmer? or is there some other category that I have missed that is more sutiable?

Thanks..yet again.
Old Jan 21st 2002, 9:16 pm
Andrew Miller

Occupation itself is not longer a factor under new law, as long as you have required
work experience in one or more of occupations listed in top 3 bands of NOC. In your
application you should list all occupations (with their respective NOC codes) in
which you have proven work experience performing most of main duties and all of
substantial duties in each listed occupation as per their descriptions in NOC.
Forget old GOL.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 21st 2002, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

CN Tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello MrFlibble(!)
Unless you submit your app in the next couple of weeks, you may not have to concern yourself with the National Occupational Classification because it is being scrapped under the new regulations...!

New regs don't come into force until (possibly) June 28th, but for skilled worker applicants, there is currently a 'retroactivity' thang going on - which may or may not also be abolished before the new law comes in.

Lots up in the air at the moment, much speculation on how things may proceed. You won't have do too much reading on this newsgroup to get the picture!

You might want to have a look here for more info:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/coming/new-regs.html

Cheers,

CN (see below if you want to hook up with fellow Brits)