Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So tell me everyone, where should we live???

So tell me everyone, where should we live???

Old May 18th 2004, 5:58 pm
mickj

Default Re: CalgaryAMC and OceanMDX

I thought all carpenters were that anyway :-) Just kidding geezer...have you considered being a lumberjack? Its probably regulated too:

Originally posted by Karate Kev
But in order to stop any future fall-outs, perhaps i should consider another trade - i could become an ugly bald male lap-dancer, perhaps??!!

Take care guys,

Kev.
Attached Thumbnails So tell me everyone, where should we live???-527588-kittyregister.jpg  

Old May 18th 2004, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

I'd hate to think that my trade has been a source of arguements....
It isn't the source.

Good luck!
Old May 18th 2004, 6:27 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

There isn't any question that when seeking employment as a carpenter, having journeyman certification would be beneficial in the eyes of a potential employer. Such certification would make getting employment much easier, and the pay would be a lot higher than compared to not having a certificate. Having said that, carpentry in Alberta is a non-regulated trade. Regulation regards the setting of mandatory minimum qualifications for workers and requiring them to be licensed to be legally entitled to work in that occupation.

On regulated trades and professions in Canada:

http://www.destinationstravail.ca/cg...7frame&prov=ca

Regarding “regulated occupations� in Canada:

http://www.destinationstravail.ca/cg...7frame&prov=ca

“Some jobs in Canada require that you have a special license before you can begin work. These are called regulated occupations.�

“Non-regulated occupations do not require special licensure and can range from those requiring extensive education and training, such as a university degree (i.e. computer analysts and biologists) to those that require little in the way of formal training and involve little risk to the public (i.e. bartenders, salespersons, and housekeepers). There are also many apprenticeable trades for which licensing or certification is voluntary rather than compulsory in various provinces and territories.�

Since carpentry is not a licensed occupation in Alberta, the occupation of carpentry is non-regulated. It is only the apprenticeship training that is regulated. This distinction is very important. If someone works in a regulated occupation and they aren’t licensed to do so, the licensing authorities can apply to a court for injunctive relief to force them to stop working. Should an injunction be so ordered by the court, and the person continues to work, they will be in contempt of court – and then they will be looking at jail time! Over the years, I hired carpenters to help build three offices that I owned in Alberta, and not once did I bother asking if they were certified.

On carpentry in Alberta:

http://www.destinationstravail.ca/cg...3D%26prov%3Dca

Last edited by oceanMDX; May 18th 2004 at 6:48 pm.
Old May 18th 2004, 6:33 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Thanx for all the info about carpentry guys - it's appreciated. Now will you boys please shake hands and make up!

I'd hate to think that my trade has been a source of arguements.... you're both giving me good sound advice!

But in order to stop any future fall-outs, perhaps i should consider another trade - i could become an ugly bald male lap-dancer, perhaps??!!

Take care guys,

Kev.
The good news is that anyone ( with PR) - even CalgaryAMC - can legally work as a carpenter in Alberta; but since he doesn't have his journeyman certificate, that doesn't mean that anyone should trust him with a hammer in his hand - especially me!

Last edited by oceanMDX; May 18th 2004 at 6:53 pm.
Old May 18th 2004, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

The pertinent words of the actual Apprenticeship and Industry Training Act statute, section 22(1)(a), read "by regulation designate an occupation as an optional certification trade."

The law quite clearly states that carpentry is a trade that is subject to regulation. The further proof comes from the fact that the ability to work without certification is granted by statute. That would be completely unecessary in an unregulated occupation.

I will not enter into a semantic debate because it is of no practical significance to the original poster. What is of significance is that regulations do exist and this has implications on his employability.
Old May 18th 2004, 7:23 pm
mickj

I can see this going on well over "regulated" time, the "golden goal" rule might have to be called in

Old May 19th 2004, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Karate Kev will become famous soon enoughKarate Kev will become famous soon enough
Default re;

What have i done?!?! I've created 2 adversaries in the exciting world of carpentry and joinery!!!

Remember everyone, i started this thread in order to get good ideas of where to live - let's get back to that.

So far, this is what i'm thinking - the outskirts of Calgary, where hopefully the house prices will be a little less for a little more house - if that makes sense! And i'm sure i should be able to find work.... even if it isn't in my trade.

Take care all,

Kev.
Old May 19th 2004, 5:44 pm
mickj

Be careful.....the areas in which you can buy a house, are regulated too
Attached Thumbnails So tell me everyone, where should we live???-scenery_00006.gif  

Old May 19th 2004, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

najo is an unknown quantity at this point

The Okanagan valley has it all for you! Good luck!
Old May 20th 2004, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: re;

...Remember everyone, i started this thread in order to get good ideas of where to live - let's get back to that...
If you think Calgary is fun when you have a crap job because your qualifications and skills aren't recognized, do a search for threads by Alexandra.
Old May 20th 2004, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future
Talking

Ill add my two Penney’s worth have been on two trips now trying to decide on area to settle in BC and I don’t think you can beat the Okanagan valley we decided on Penticton Or Summerland that end of the lake has the best of the weather. One big downside may be that there aren’t a lot of job opportunities in the area most work seems to be tourist leisure related, personally I am going to start my own business
Old May 20th 2004, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

turfey21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Sorry for jumping on this thread but I have been watching it.

My main question is to Mike.

My husband and I are to trying to decide which part of BC to buy our house to and are off again for another visit this year for 3 weeks to suss out the places. We have thought about Castlegar but on our last visit were warned off as they have really cold winter's. The cold doesn't bother me as long as I have got the right transport, clothes and heating for the weather.

We are aiming on our next visit to get car hire and a flight over and then just adlib it by driving from vancouver along towards Calgary and then Banff and back to Whistler. After that trek we want to have a look at Victoria.

I am thinking along the lines really of Okanagan Valley location and we to are hoping to start our own business. So many options to chose from.

What line of Business are you aiming for Mike?

Kelly
Old May 20th 2004, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Hi Kelly completely undecided on what are business venture will be as of yet but have been chewing over a few franchises Bed & Breakfasts and rental property’s but may decide to do some think completely different. When we started looking at areas we fault are first choice would be Vancouver Island Victoria or Nanimo but after visiting the Okanagan Valley and comparing the weather statistics and possible earthquakes we decided on the Okanagan Valley I seem to remember that Victoria has 2 to 3 times the rain full that we get in the Uk even although summers are slightly better.
Old May 20th 2004, 3:42 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by turfey21
We have thought about Castlegar but on our last visit were warned off as they have really cold winter's. The cold doesn't bother me as long as I have got the right transport, clothes and heating for the weather.
Castlegar is on flood plains so beware with the apparent global warming we should be experiencing in the coming years. There is also loads of airfields there.

I am thinking along the lines really of Okanagan Valley location
Most places in the Okanagan are lovely - all very individual and some you will like better than others. It is a massive tourist area so if you are planning on going down that route you should do well. Property close to the towns with a few acres are quite expensive though and you wouldn't want to be too far away from all amenities if you are doing something tourist based.

As you know, we spent a lot of time in the Okanagan and loved it however it just couldn't compare with Ontario in my eyes. The distance from Vancouver and the airport was one of the main down sides to the Okanagan, and that road going up to the Okanagan just "did my head in" after the first 4 or 5 times! On our final trip out there I absolutely hated the drive. I'm a country girl and like living in a rural location but I need to be near a major airport and have some decent shops close by. I would have felt stranded out in the Okanagan with all those old folk.

Good luck to you Turfey, I hope you find the place you fall in love with.
Old May 20th 2004, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

turfey21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tiaribbon,

Have you found your home yet?

I have coming out again to BC to have a real good look this time and so what's what.

Not really stoked on Ontario but as yet can't really comment. I supose I must visit it before I make up my mind 100%.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.