Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So tell me everyone, where should we live???

So tell me everyone, where should we live???

Old May 5th 2004, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Karate Kev will become famous soon enoughKarate Kev will become famous soon enough
Default So tell me everyone, where should we live???

Hi everyone,

It's me again - asking for yet more advice!

As you know, we're hoping to emmigrate to Canada from the U.K. - but I want your opinions as to where to live!

The obvious choice is Sunny Summers, and Snowy Winters - but not too bitterly cold - and as little rain as possible!

Got any ideas, please???

Our initial thought are (in this order), Alberta, British Columbia, or Saskatchewan.

Look forward to your thoughts and ideas. Take care,

Kev.
Old May 5th 2004, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

shamur will become famous soon enough

Hi Kev, Alberta is a great place to live, you will have your sunny warm summers, very little rain, lots of snow in the winters but Im afraid we do have a couple of months that can be really very cold.
But you learn to live with that, Saskatchewan is pretty much the same although Ive never been there we are on the same weather pattern. BC is a beautiful province but they do get lots of rain and lots of heat too my daughter lives there and loves it because it reminds her a lot of England.
I think either one of those provinces would be good, and if you dont like the one you choose move to another.
Good luck whichever one you try first.
Old May 6th 2004, 12:11 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So tell me everyone, where should we live???

Originally posted by Karate Kev
The obvious choice is Sunny Summers, and Snowy Winters - but not too bitterly cold - and as little rain as possible!

Kev.
I dont think anywhere in Canada counts!

Coastal BC isnt bitterly cold, but it is not that snowy either, and those of us in the East keep hearing about all that rain.

Anywhere that gets the nice snowy winter is pretty much sure to get bitterly cold spells, although its all relative. I suspect an Edmonton or Winnipeg native would be wandering around in a TShirt in what passes for bitterly cold in SE Ontario (-20s C).

I guess you will just have to take the rough with the smooth. Calgary gets the Chinook winds which give you a bit of a break from the winter now and then, but they have been known to drive folks mad, and my wife tells me its been used sucessfully as a defence in a murder trial! I suspect thats an urban legend though...maybe!

Iain
Old May 6th 2004, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen a few posts here that say that BC gets too much rain! If you are living on the coast, you will see more rain, as it is classed as rainforest in a lot of areas and afterall, it's at sea level. I lived on the lower mainland (Vancouver area) for a number of years and will agree though that the continuous days of rain in the Spring/Fall can be a bit much sometimes.

On the flip side... as you go inland towards the Okanagan Valley, it becomes semi-arrid, so very little rainfall. We could actually use some more rain!!

(Oggy)
Old May 6th 2004, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: So tell me everyone, where should we live???

...Sunny Summers, and Snowy Winters - but not too bitterly cold - and as little rain as possible!
Kamloops, British Columbia.
Old May 6th 2004, 1:11 pm
mickj

I'll have to be bias about it, and say Ontario, all these to see and explore
Attached Thumbnails So tell me everyone, where should we live???-4.jpg  

Last edited by mickj; May 6th 2004 at 4:13 pm.

Old May 6th 2004, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Karate Kev will become famous soon enoughKarate Kev will become famous soon enough
Default Thanx for your views

Hi all,

Thankyou, ladies and gents, for your points of view. I kinda thinks Alberta is winning at the moment.

Now all we've gotta do is save up the airfares, sort out a house-swap, come out to visit, and of course....... qualify for the visa!!!

take care,

Kev.
Old May 6th 2004, 9:07 pm
mickj

Must have been the stampede that clinched it for you then

Old May 7th 2004, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: Thanx for your views

...I kinda thinks Alberta is winning at the moment...
I think Alberta is a good choice for lots of reasons. Economically it is a good entry to Canada, house prices are still reasonable, the climate is not as awful as it might sound because although it gets very cold it is sunny all year round.

It doesn't meet your climate criteria - which precluded bitterly cold - though because it does get bitterly cold. The only place I can think of that meets your climate criteria is Kamloops, BC.

The picture below was taking yesterday in Calgary. Earlier this week we had a blizzard.
Attached Thumbnails So tell me everyone, where should we live???-snow.jpg  
Old May 7th 2004, 3:17 am
Just Joined

mgilly is an unknown quantity at this point

hi kev
we moved out to regina,sask about 10 weeks,we have seen -22 and plus 22 in that time,we have bought a house that we could never afford in england(we lived in bournemouth)saskatchewan is alot cheaper than b.c and alberta,so it means your money will go further,hope this helps
mark
p.s what job are you in
Old May 7th 2004, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by mgilly
hi kev
we moved out to regina,sask about 10 weeks,we have seen -22 and plus 22 in that time,we have bought a house that we could never afford in england(we lived in bournemouth)saskatchewan is alot cheaper than b.c and alberta,so it means your money will go further,hope this helps
mark
p.s what job are you in

Kev, you were asking about weather...try this one....

three days ago I work in the yead with a T-shirt on getting bitten with mizzie bites.....two days ago it snows. Hard. Yesterday its starting to warm again.

OK, OK, so I know Calgary has all these things happen regularly but when you experience it for the first time I really had to think if I was in the Twilight Zone :scared:
Old May 7th 2004, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Default Mark

Originally posted by Smokey
Kev, you were asking about weather...try this one....

three days ago I work in the yead with a T-shirt on getting bitten with mizzie bites.....two days ago it snows. Hard. Yesterday its starting to warm again.

OK, OK, so I know Calgary has all these things happen regularly but when you experience it for the first time I really had to think if I was in the Twilight Zone :scared:

Hi Mark,

The more I hear, the more I think Edmonton might be the place. But we've yet to visit.

I'm a fully qualified carpenter/joiner by trade. Have been since leaving college....over 20 years ago! Man, am I old?!

But I also teach martial-arts 4-times a week - I'd LOVE to get a fulltime instructors job!

Take care,

Kev.
Old May 8th 2004, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Mark

Hi Mark,

The more I hear, the more I think Edmonton might be the place. But we've yet to visit.

I'm a fully qualified carpenter/joiner by trade. Have been since leaving college....over 20 years ago! Man, am I old?!

But I also teach martial-arts 4-times a week - I'd LOVE to get a fulltime instructors job!

Take care,

Kev.

I notice a couple of people have suggested Kamloops, B.C.

So what's that like? Sunny? Snowy? Rainy? Help me out here.

Kev.
Old May 8th 2004, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

I notice a couple of people have suggested Kamloops, B.C.

So what's that like? Sunny? Snowy? Rainy? Help me out here.

Kev.

Silly silly silly me! I forgot to mention....

I've also heard good things about Medicine Hat - any suggestions?

Kev.
Old May 8th 2004, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silly silly silly me! I forgot to mention....

I've also heard good things about Medicine Hat - any suggestions?

Kev.

Hah!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.