Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So many balls to keep in the air

So many balls to keep in the air

Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:16 am

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So many balls to keep in the air

and plates spinning (title chosen just for Novo as I know how much he loves cliches )

Seriously it is unbelievable how much needs to be done. I sat down last night with blank calendar sheets and my things to do list and I put one different thing on each day to do - small things from informing the banks to booking the shipping companies and sorting out the passports etc. Then I took a high lighter and allocated the tasks between me and my husband (he is overjoyed and thrilled by my level of anal-ity over all this NOT).

On top of all that, we have a very big family do to arrange (two milestone birthdays and a leaving do all rolled in to one) and then there is all the business stuff to sort out - condensing operations here and then opening up out there and all that entails. Packing up a house and selling stuff, renting it out etc.

So come on, I'm not a naturally organised person so help me, I couldn't even find the diary I ordered specially for the occasion the thoughts are always there but I tend to be a fly by the seats of my pants type person.

How do you all manage it?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So many balls to keep in the air

Originally Posted by tinytears
and plates spinning (title chosen just for Novo as I know how much he loves cliches )

Seriously it is unbelievable how much needs to be done. I sat down last night with blank calendar sheets and my things to do list and I put one different thing on each day to do - small things from informing the banks to booking the shipping companies and sorting out the passports etc. Then I took a high lighter and allocated the tasks between me and my husband (he is overjoyed and thrilled by my level of anal-ity over all this NOT).

On top of all that, we have a very big family do to arrange (two milestone birthdays and a leaving do all rolled in to one) and then there is all the business stuff to sort out - condensing operations here and then opening up out there and all that entails. Packing up a house and selling stuff, renting it out etc.

So come on, I'm not a naturally organised person so help me, I couldn't even find the diary I ordered specially for the occasion the thoughts are always there but I tend to be a fly by the seats of my pants type person.

Maybe we need a master spread sheet in the WIKI so we can print it out and work from that,

What about starting the list and everyone can add to it,

Good luck TT
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at the 'To Do' list in the Wiki? It's a good comprehensive list which may help make you feel a bit more organised!

Good luck with it all.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:24 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Have you looked at the 'To Do' list in the Wiki? It's a good comprehensive list which may help make you feel a bit more organised!

Good luck with it all.
ditto, as quoted....i printed this off and just started at the top and worked my way down............of course it grows it's own horns and snarling teeth, as you proceed, as every situation is different but it sure helped to 'focus' my mind..........if you print it off, it's 3 pages of A4.......my list is actually out of control now, as i have the 'BE todo list' +++++++++++++several more.......just do one job at a time, deligate where you can......we've been thrown a very 'fast ball' of recent, that i and i alone has had to deal with; wasn't in our plans at all......but, i'm dealing with it all, i'm going to be on a plane in 3 weeks time, the house will be sorted, etc etc.........

good luck hunny. no one said it was easy but take a deep breath and just work your way through it all.......what don't kill you, only makes you stronger and i always think of those that have done it, i'm doing it and plenty of others to follow.......xxxx
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

and plates spinning (title chosen just for Novo as I know how much he loves cliches :lol

Gosh and here's me thinking that threads that ...take the proverbial... or are intended to wind someone... up aren't allowed. Oh hang on, it's probably only the ones that don't have that intent though that aren't allowed.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:43 pm

That list is amazing isn't it? I used it as the basis for the planning I did last night, there were so many things on there that I hadn't even thought about. Then I started doing the same thing for the business, hence every single day now has at least two things to action between now and July. Some are small things and some are mega plus there is all the selling and packing in between.

I'm a huge fan of chunking things - breaking them down into manageable chunks which I've done - until you look at each month as a whole and it is a bit awe-inspiring to say the least and I have a family and business day to day life as well.

No use complaining about it, I guess I need to print the list and do things bit by bit by bit now!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 3:02 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

That list is amazing isn't it? I used it as the basis for the planning I did last night, there were so many things on there that I hadn't even thought about. Then I started doing the same thing for the business, hence every single day now has at least two things to action between now and July. Some are small things and some are mega plus there is all the selling and packing in between.

I'm a huge fan of chunking things - breaking them down into manageable chunks which I've done - until you look at each month as a whole and it is a bit awe-inspiring to say the least and I have a family and business day to day life as well.

No use complaining about it, I guess I need to print the list and do things bit by bit by bit now!
is your business something that you are taking with you? if not, sell it or make it dormant or 'defunct' it.......we had three small business's to deal with.....had, because they are all now dead and buried, with me deligateing them to our accountant......i love delication......
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
is your business something that you are taking with you? if not, sell it or make it dormant or 'defunct' it.......we had three small business's to deal with.....had, because they are all now dead and buried, with me deligateing them to our accountant......i love delication......
We are leaving an office here and opening up out there so I need to effectively split out what can be taken and what is going to be left here.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Gosh and here's me thinking that threads that ...take the proverbial... or are intended to wind someone... up aren't allowed. Oh hang on, it's probably only the ones that don't have that intent though that aren't allowed.
The phrase "get a life" springs to mind here, I am sure Novo appreciates that this was tongue in cheeck and not malicious or nasty. There is a difference, it may do you well to realise that.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:01 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I have a calendar on my fridge and one side has a To Do List. I find having it in the kitchen where I seem to spend most of my time is handy. I just add things to the list or cross them off as I go. The key is to prioritise.

Sue
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Sue
I have a calendar on my fridge and one side has a To Do List. I find having it in the kitchen where I seem to spend most of my time is handy. I just add things to the list or cross them off as I go. The key is to prioritise.

Sue
Thats a good idea, I have a magnetic calendar attached to my fridge but have no idea where the pen is (disorganised chaos and all that).

You are right not prioritising is probably a much better thing to do less pressure that way.

Maybe I will do away with my printed calander and assigned tasks and do it that way instead!

Thanks.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

The phrase "get a life" springs to mind here, I am sure Novo appreciates that this was tongue in cheeck and not malicious or nasty. There is a difference, it may do you well to realise that.

Would you care to explain??

I presume you are referring to the IF thread. It was not posted with the intention of picking on anyone, or even taking the piss. As those who complained said. What makes what you wrote tongue in cheek and what I wrote as a thread starter cause for you to abuse me?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Would you care to explain??

I presume you are referring to the IF thread. It was not posted with the intention of picking on anyone, or even taking the piss. As those who complained said. What makes what you wrote tongue in cheek and what I wrote as a thread starter cause for you to abuse me?
What was actually in this famous "If" thread? I was busy at w*rk most of yesterday, I log back on and a mysterious legend has been created!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What was actually in this famous "If" thread? I was busy at w*rk most of yesterday, I log back on and a mysterious legend has been created!
Nothing much. i started a thread called If..
then typed

...Obama wore a hoodie would he have gone to the dogs
ElaineB answered with
I find your comments racist and anti-semitic
AmyDavid closed the thread as it was taking the proverbial, Sue Mod says that it was started to "wind up another member"

So how come this thread is different from the one I started and why the vitriol from TinyTears?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing much. i started a thread called If..
then typed

ElaineB answered with

AmyDavid closed the thread as it was taking the proverbial, Sue Mod says that it was started to "wind up another member"

So how come this thread is different from the one I started and why the vitriol from TinyTears?
Oh. I wonder which one? I don't see it being your fault then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.