Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So how old when you went?

So how old when you went?

Old Nov 18th 2003, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

SmilerJen is an unknown quantity at this point

we were 30 and 28 (my toyboy) I think whatever age you go you will have apprehensions about it, but i think the older you are the wiser you are and you know what you want in life!!

I just say to everybody that is thinking about it to do it!

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE AND YOU SHOULD CHASE YOUR DREAMS!! MAKE THEM REALITY

Smiler
Old Nov 18th 2003, 9:50 am
Just Joined

pensid17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nonong
C'mon guys. I'm 55 years old, and I have to start all over again myself.
hi guys

im 50 y/o with wife and two boys of 10 and 13, we are just aboput to apply, we are excited, isnt age a mental thing ?

sid
Old Nov 18th 2003, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Great to know that I'm by no means the oldest - and I don't mean that in any condescending sense.

I feel as though here, the older I get the tougher it will be to get anywhere in life.
I was just passed over for promotion and moved to a base level in another department in my job so in a way, I feel as though I'm starting all over again here. (And yes - I am bitter. And yes - it has played a part in my decision to emigrate!)
At 34 when I've been working for 10 years, I'm beginning to think that if I have to start over, I'd like to try somewhere else. Why the hell not.

Thanks for the encouragement folks !
Old Nov 18th 2003, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mr Lee
Great to know that I'm by no means the oldest - and I don't mean that in any condescending sense.

I feel as though here, the older I get the tougher it will be to get anywhere in life.
I was just passed over for promotion and moved to a base level in another department in my job so in a way, I feel as though I'm starting all over again here. (And yes - I am bitter. And yes - it has played a part in my decision to emigrate!)
At 34 when I've been working for 10 years, I'm beginning to think that if I have to start over, I'd like to try somewhere else. Why the hell not.

Thanks for the encouragement folks !
When I left England at the age of 27 in 1968 I left an unexiting but stable job. I would have had to relocate in England in order to advance. I decided to try Canada instead since I was going to be leaving my friends and family anyhow.

There's a convenience factor associated with ties to family and friends. Even if you move a just few miles away you may still miss them because they're simply not handy anymore.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 1:12 pm
karlloss

Just started the process so I will be 35-36 and the Wife will be 31-32

I have traveled most of my life so not so daunting for me but the wife is dreading the move.

Old Nov 19th 2003, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

colin.helen is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to be 32 and my wife 31 by the time we actually go. Our three children will be 1, 4 and 5.

We're going because we don't want to look back and find that we've lived in the south of England for the last 40 years! We just have the desire to experience something different ....

We feel both excited and anxious - and are dreading the day we tell her parents.

Good luck everyone.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha!!

I know exactly how your wife feels Colin!

I think my parents are going to hate my girlfriend (who's Canadian) when I break the news to them!

My mum's brother (my uncle) moved to BC nearly 30 years ago when he met and married my auntie, and she still moans about it and misses him now. For me to up sticks and move continents as well would really piss her off I think!

We've decided to wait until after we've been over there next spring for a holiday and I've started my application process before I tell them.

I already told my friends and, quite touchingly, they were rather upset.

More because of our Thursday night beer and karaoke sessions at the Egerton Arms will be coming to an end though I think!

Last edited by Mr Lee; Nov 19th 2003 at 8:44 am.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

I was 21 when I moved to Canada! I'm 24 now. Its hard at any age. Although I imagine having kids in tow must be espeically hard.

I'm glad I made this leap, I can't imagine being in one place for the rest of my life! I don't think I will ever be able to settle.....it doesn't seem right. Its so exciting knowing that just a few hours on a plane can throw you into the middle of a completely different culture and life!!! Its a shame we all get tied down to jobs though, but I guess we all have to make a living!

Int.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

slmasker@aol.co is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nonong
C'mon guys. I'm 55 years old, and I have to start all over again myself.

Last edited by [email protected]; Nov 21st 2003 at 10:58 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

citizen is an unknown quantity at this point

me 40 wife 35 kids 5&2, i was homesick for 18months (still miss my live city games though) , wife adapted very quickly, kids no problem.

if you can adapt to the pathetic driving and endless traffic lights you should be ok
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 2:53 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I was 32, with two kids at that time ages 22 mths and 5.5yrs... (now four kids). What if's - yes - but just be sure that you are *really* willing to start from scratch. That was the hardest part for us, admitting that we really resented being at the bottom of the barrel again. Unfortunately mine is not a good story (marriage of 17 yrs failed) but that was by no means wholly attributable to the move to Canada. In a perverse way I am still glad I did it, because now I will never regret not trying - does that make sense?
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

I was 23 when I moved here earlier this year (turned 24 since) and my wife was 20 (she was already in Canada being Canadian).

Drew
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

schumeybabe is on a distinguished road

I landed in Vancouver in August (came on my own, didn't know anyone here) and turned 45 in September.

My decision to emigrate was in no small part due to the fact that I had been in the same job, same office, same desk (although I think the chair had been replaced a couple of times) for just over 20 years. Although it was a fairly secure job (medical secretary in the NHS) the prospect of being there for the next 20 years, and probably being wheeled from my desk into the geriatric ward upon retirement(!), was unthinkable. Maybe it was a midlife crisis.

Anyhow, touch wood, it's turning out to be the best move I've ever made. Passed my driving test within a month, got a job which I really enjoy that pays me substantially more than I was getting in the UK (I realise that I'm one of the lucky ones there) and the completion date for the purchase of my first Canadian home, with views of the mountains, ocean and city, is next Friday.

I know from reading the various message boards that not everyone lands on their feet when they move to a new country but I just wanted to point out that my advanced age has not been a problem and I'm looking forward to many happy years here.

Lesley