Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So glad I found this site!!! but now major concerns, anyone ease my worries? :o)

So glad I found this site!!! but now major concerns, anyone ease my worries? :o)

Old Jul 7th 2006, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

logic500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So glad I found this site!!! but now major concerns, anyone ease my worries? :o)

I first thought about moving to Canada way back in 1997. Times were seemingly harder back then in the UK, well paid jobs seemed harder to find, my house was in negative equity worth less than half of what I had paid just four years earlier, the economy stagnant and it seemed like an ideal time to make a big change in life.

Having had some great holidays in the US, my then partner and I talked about moving to the States. After writing to the US Embassy in London, and buying a couple of books on the subject (pre-internet days… how did we live without the net!) , America was not really going to be a possibility.

We got further information on the immigration policies of Australia, New Zealand and Canada. After a bit of reading we decided that Canada was our preferred place to live and work. Forms were obtained, and a “fact finding” trip to Ontario was booked.

We spent a couple of weeks in early May 1997 travelling around Ontario. I was not surprised by the similarities to the US, but was a little shocked by the low temperatures (snow on the ground at Algonquin!!) and lack of greenery on the trees, seemed like England in February, perhaps it was a late spring, who knows.

Well to cut a long story my ten year relationship ended in December ’97, and my plans for emigrating were binned.

I figured that I had to work harder at my career here in the UK, and that’s what I did. I live in Hull, which is well known for low pay owing to its somewhat isolated location. That said today I’m earning around £30,000, which I know some of you are probably thinking that I’ve hardly set the world on fire, but for this region it’s not bad going.

Lack of any real relationships, and feeling like I’ve done all I can here, I’ve been getting more and more bored with my life, so the thoughts of moving to Canada were re-born, and I started looking into it again early this year (so much easier with the internet!!!).

So getting to the point… at last ;o) I have now completed all the forms for Permanent Residency, have my Police Checks, wrote to all former employers to verify dates of employment etc etc… and I was all set for sending off my application when I stumbled across this site. I’m so glad I did, because it’s opened my eyes to potential problems.

I want to list my concerns, and I would really be glad to hear from all of you guys who are going through the application or are even settled now in Canada for your input or advice. I know ultimately that I have to make the decision myself, but I think as time passes I’m beginning to realise that perhaps I’m making a big mistake.

I’m still in the same house that was in negative equity almost ten years ago, today it’s worth three times what I paid. Having borrowed against it over the years, at current market prices, and after paying off debts I’d have say just $40,000 as my “new life” fund. I was reading that house prices fell for the first time in years just last quarter.. so this little chunk of cash could easily be eroded by the time I get my PR card.

I’ve looked at living in the Greater Toronto Area where the rent is not exactly cheap. I’ve looked at high rise apartments priced around $1300 incl utilities & parking, and basement apartments in houses for around the same sort of cost. I currently live in a semi-detached house, and the neighbours I have are great, but I have had “problem” neighbours too with noise etc. I’m thinking in a high rise, I could have “neighbours from hell” above, below, and either side of me (and be stuck there for a year tied in). Basement apartments could have similar noise problems, and most have very little natural light, would be like living in a rabbit hole ;O)
Here at home I like probably most people have a washing machine, dishwasher in my kitchen, but these apartments for some reason in general have shared “laundry” facilities in the building and not in the apartment kitchens, and at most they have an oven, a fridge, no dishwasher.

Paying over a $1000 a month and living like a student, sitting watching my smalls spin round in a dryer doesn’t seem like an attractive idea. Then there’s food or grocery shopping. I know they have WalMart just like we have Asda here in the UK, but there seems to be no internet delivery service (seem years behind). I’ve had my groceries delivered for the last couple of years, which you could say is an unnecessary expense, but I can’t imagine how you would get bags of shopping from you car up to a high rise apartment, you know back and forth, up and down. In Hull there are some council owned high rise building built in the sixties like a lot of British cities (being in the construction industry I‘m well versed with the types of problems these dwellings have, both physically and the social aspects too). It just seems like a backwards step. Some of the photos of the bathrooms look like very basic. I have a lovely home, beautiful bathroom, great kitchen with a plumbed in American style fridge, think it would kill me to live in very basic accommodation. And not being able to sit in the privacy of a garden in the summer… a balcony only.. Think I would lose the plot. Any comments from anyone who lives in a GTA highrise would be a great help, you know tell how nice it is, how quiet it is, how it’s not a hassle getting your bags of shopping up, or washing you clothes with the other tenants, grasping at straws really. The places which look half decent, have central air/heating are crazy money.

I would obviously need a car, and once again I’ve used the net to check out car prices. Seems second cars cost a lot more than in the UK. I have a two year old Nissan Primera with DVD SatNav, A/C, Reversing Camera etc etc. If I sold it tomorrow I’d be lucky to get £7000 for it. I can just see myself in some crappy little compact, it breaking down in the winter, and it costing a fortune. Why are Canadian second hand cars so expensive. Then the one thing I couldn’t find out was insurance costs. My car costs £35 a month, and I’ve read on here insurance costing hundreds of dollars a month. Is there anyone who can settle my nerves on this one :O) Gas prices are half that in the UK so that might offset a little of my massively increased car costs.

I would have to start a new life with new everything, furniture, air con, decorations, kitchen utensils, bedding, the works. I’ve looked on Sears website, and The Brick for an idea of what I’d need to spend to get basic furniture. Seems you can’t just buy a complete bed, you have to build one ;o) I was blown away by the cost. That would have to be some mighty fine sleeping for the sorts of dollars they are looking for. You could have a very good bed here in the UK for a couple of hundred pounds, seems I’d have to double that. God Bless Argos and DFS. Can anyone tell me if there are other cheaper places to buy furniture.

Onto holidays. Now I know that Canadian’s and Americans seem to get just two weeks vacation leave, but looking at the cost of getting around I probably wouldn’t be able to afford to go anywhere. Having no life, I go to the South of France on average six times a year to chill out from my stressful job Once upon a time this was probably only something films stars could do, but owing to our Greek Mate Stelios and EasyJet, we can pop down to the med sunshine for £80 or less. I love the sun, and I was hoping that I could perhaps nip down to Florida for a weekend or two, but Canadian “budget” airlines are mad prices. The distance is the same as say Manchester to Nice, but WestJet are wanting $400 + for a return trip. I love travelling, love seeing other countries, but I don’t think I’d have the same freedoms in Canada. I found cheap flights to Orlando, and Vegas from Buffalo, NY, so maybe this is an option. Once again any advice please.

Now if the UK housing market doesn’t go into meltdown by 2008 (hoping I’d have my PR card by then) my $40,000 (fingers crossed) isn’t going to go too far, car, apartment costs, furniture etc, so a reasonably well paid job would be vital to my plans not falling apart.

I started out my career as a Quantity Surveyor in the building industry. Today working for a small company, I still do quantity surveying tasks, along with purchasing and estimating. I do the jobs of three people. With my experience I am without sounding cocky a valuable commodity to an employer. If I can’t persuade a Canadian employer to give me a chance, then I’d have to take perhaps an admin type of job to pay the bills. Looking on the net I’d be lucky to get $16.00 max an hour doing this type of thing, and that’s barely going to cover the cost of an apartment, car costs, food, TV, internet (for finding a better job) etc. My savings would soon dwindle, and I’d have to return to the UK to start again broke, and get back on the property ladder.

Reading this posting it does sound very negative, which isn’t a good reflection upon who I am. I strive to be the best I can be, to achieve all I can. But reading some of the posts on the site, has made me hit reality with a hard bump. I would expect to perhaps earn less than I do today as I would need to prove myself, but surely you would need at least $50,000 (less than I earn in a crappy Northern UK city) to get by, and keep going.

I’m sure if you’re going across there with a sizeable chunk of money from the sale of a house, that things would be easier, but that’s not an option for me. I’m guess if you’re coming from Russia, Pakistan, India (or any other developing country) then living in a “tower block” might seem less of a backwards step (and no I’m not been disrespectful to people who come from other nations). I was so up for the move, but now real practical issues, and potential problems lay in front of me. I’d love some help/advice from any Brits that have already taken that massive step and made the move.

I’ve got a “fact finding” trip booked for May 2007, ten years after my first, guess I’ve got to decide now whether this stays as an opportunity to check out things first hand, or whether I’m simply there to be a tourist.

Yours looking for inspiration

Rich
Old Jul 7th 2006, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So glad I found this site!!! but now major concerns, anyone ease my worries? :o)

Hmmmm, from reading your post it sounds like you've weighed things up and you don't really want to go to Canada and start again, which is what we all have to do when we land.

Some people on here have gone with less funds with you and made a success of their new life. It's up to you Good luck with what you finally decide to do.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 6:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So glad I found this site!!! but now major concerns, anyone ease my worries? :o)

Sorry...what was the question?

Emigrating wont suddenly fill your life with new relationships...in fact the opposite would probably be true and you might find yourself feeling even more isolated and alone, at least at first.

Life is what you make of it...even in Canada with three weeks holidays and paying $200 a month for car insurance I cant imagine being any happier anywhere else.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 7th 2006 at 6:50 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 7:02 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Life is what you make of it...even in Canada with three weeks holidays and paying $200 a month for car insurance I cant imagine being any happier anywhere else.
Yah man, you'll blow $80k just moving and getting settled/set up over here.

Would you burn all your capital just to be where you want to be, and do you want to be here (really??).

I think deep down you know where it's at...... cling to what you have now in grim desperation or start afresh with no baggage and armed with a positive attitude. Good luck, only you can decide.

Rich.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses guys, lots of unknowns, think I'll stick my application in, and try to see some apartments first hand next May to get a better idea what apartment life would be like
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by logic500
I’ve looked at living in the Greater Toronto Area where the rent is not exactly cheap. I’ve looked at high rise apartments priced around $1300 incl utilities & parking, and basement apartments in houses for around the same sort of cost. I currently live in a semi-detached house, and the neighbours I have are great, but I have had “problem” neighbours too with noise etc. I’m thinking in a high rise, I could have “neighbours from hell” above, below, and either side of me (and be stuck there for a year tied in). Basement apartments could have similar noise problems, and most have very little natural light, would be like living in a rabbit hole ;O)
Here at home I like probably most people have a washing machine, dishwasher in my kitchen, but these apartments for some reason in general have shared “laundry” facilities in the building and not in the apartment kitchens, and at most they have an oven, a fridge, no dishwasher.
For $1500 or so you should be able to rent a condo apartment with a washer/dryer and dishwasher. It'll be a one bedroom or studio but can be right downtown.

I would obviously need a car,
Not if you're right downtown. Rent one for weekend trips as needed.

God Bless Argos and DFS. Can anyone tell me if there are other cheaper places to buy furniture.
IKEA.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks dbd33 for that, I didn't think I'd be able to afford the downtown option, I'll have a look at what's on offer.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks dbd33 for that, I didn't think I'd be able to afford the downtown option, I'll have a look at what's on offer.
Wander along by the harbourfront and look in the real estate agent's windows there. You'll be looking at a tiny place for that money but with a nice view and within walking distance of all manner of entertainments.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:50 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

I first thought about moving to Canada way back in 1997. Times were seemingly harder back then in the UK, well paid jobs seemed harder to find, my house was in negative equity worth less than half of what I had paid just four years earlier, the economy stagnant and it seemed like an ideal time to make a big change in life.

Having had some great holidays in the US, my then partner and I talked about moving to the States. After writing to the US Embassy in London, and buying a couple of books on the subject (pre-internet days… how did we live without the net!) , America was not really going to be a possibility.

We got further information on the immigration policies of Australia, New Zealand and Canada. After a bit of reading we decided that Canada was our preferred place to live and work. Forms were obtained, and a “fact finding” trip to Ontario was booked.

We spent a couple of weeks in early May 1997 travelling around Ontario. I was not surprised by the similarities to the US, but was a little shocked by the low temperatures (snow on the ground at Algonquin!!) and lack of greenery on the trees, seemed like England in February, perhaps it was a late spring, who knows.

Well to cut a long story my ten year relationship ended in December ’97, and my plans for emigrating were binned.

I figured that I had to work harder at my career here in the UK, and that’s what I did. I live in Hull, which is well known for low pay owing to its somewhat isolated location. That said today I’m earning around £30,000, which I know some of you are probably thinking that I’ve hardly set the world on fire, but for this region it’s not bad going.

Lack of any real relationships, and feeling like I’ve done all I can here, I’ve been getting more and more bored with my life, so the thoughts of moving to Canada were re-born, and I started looking into it again early this year (so much easier with the internet!!!).

So getting to the point… at last ;o) I have now completed all the forms for Permanent Residency, have my Police Checks, wrote to all former employers to verify dates of employment etc etc… and I was all set for sending off my application when I stumbled across this site. I’m so glad I did, because it’s opened my eyes to potential problems.

I want to list my concerns, and I would really be glad to hear from all of you guys who are going through the application or are even settled now in Canada for your input or advice. I know ultimately that I have to make the decision myself, but I think as time passes I’m beginning to realise that perhaps I’m making a big mistake.

I’m still in the same house that was in negative equity almost ten years ago, today it’s worth three times what I paid. Having borrowed against it over the years, at current market prices, and after paying off debts I’d have say just $40,000 as my “new life” fund. I was reading that house prices fell for the first time in years just last quarter.. so this little chunk of cash could easily be eroded by the time I get my PR card.

Paying over a $1000 a month and living like a student, sitting watching my smalls spin round in a dryer doesn’t seem like an attractive idea. Then there’s food or grocery shopping. I know they have WalMart just like we have Asda here in the UK, but there seems to be no internet delivery service (seem years behind). I’ve had my groceries delivered for the last couple of years, which you could say is an unnecessary expense, but I can’t imagine how you would get bags of shopping from you car up to a high rise apartment, you know back and forth, up and down. In Hull there are some council owned high rise building built in the sixties like a lot of British cities (being in the construction industry I‘m well versed with the types of problems these dwellings have, both physically and the social aspects too). It just seems like a backwards step. Some of the photos of the bathrooms look like very basic. I have a lovely home, beautiful bathroom, great kitchen with a plumbed in American style fridge, think it would kill me to live in very basic accommodation. And not being able to sit in the privacy of a garden in the summer… a balcony only.. Think I would lose the plot. Any comments from anyone who lives in a GTA highrise would be a great help, you know tell how nice it is, how quiet it is, how it’s not a hassle getting your bags of shopping up, or washing you clothes with the other tenants, grasping at straws really. The places which look half decent, have central air/heating are crazy money.

I would obviously need a car, and once again I’ve used the net to check out car prices. Seems second cars cost a lot more than in the UK. I have a two year old Nissan Primera with DVD SatNav, A/C, Reversing Camera etc etc. If I sold it tomorrow I’d be lucky to get £7000 for it. I can just see myself in some crappy little compact, it breaking down in the winter, and it costing a fortune. Why are Canadian second hand cars so expensive. Then the one thing I couldn’t find out was insurance costs. My car costs £35 a month, and I’ve read on here insurance costing hundreds of dollars a month. Is there anyone who can settle my nerves on this one :O) Gas prices are half that in the UK so that might offset a little of my massively increased car costs.

I would have to start a new life with new everything, furniture, air con, decorations, kitchen utensils, bedding, the works. I’ve looked on Sears website, and The Brick for an idea of what I’d need to spend to get basic furniture. Seems you can’t just buy a complete bed, you have to build one ;o) I was blown away by the cost. That would have to be some mighty fine sleeping for the sorts of dollars they are looking for. You could have a very good bed here in the UK for a couple of hundred pounds, seems I’d have to double that. God Bless Argos and DFS. Can anyone tell me if there are other cheaper places to buy furniture.

Onto holidays. Now I know that Canadian’s and Americans seem to get just two weeks vacation leave, but looking at the cost of getting around I probably wouldn’t be able to afford to go anywhere. Having no life, I go to the South of France on average six times a year to chill out from my stressful job Once upon a time this was probably only something films stars could do, but owing to our Greek Mate Stelios and EasyJet, we can pop down to the med sunshine for £80 or less. I love the sun, and I was hoping that I could perhaps nip down to Florida for a weekend or two, but Canadian “budget” airlines are mad prices. The distance is the same as say Manchester to Nice, but WestJet are wanting $400 + for a return trip. I love travelling, love seeing other countries, but I don’t think I’d have the same freedoms in Canada. I found cheap flights to Orlando, and Vegas from Buffalo, NY, so maybe this is an option. Once again any advice please.

Now if the UK housing market doesn’t go into meltdown by 2008 (hoping I’d have my PR card by then) my $40,000 (fingers crossed) isn’t going to go too far, car, apartment costs, furniture etc, so a reasonably well paid job would be vital to my plans not falling apart.

I started out my career as a Quantity Surveyor in the building industry. Today working for a small company, I still do quantity surveying tasks, along with purchasing and estimating. I do the jobs of three people. With my experience I am without sounding cocky a valuable commodity to an employer. If I can’t persuade a Canadian employer to give me a chance, then I’d have to take perhaps an admin type of job to pay the bills. Looking on the net I’d be lucky to get $16.00 max an hour doing this type of thing, and that’s barely going to cover the cost of an apartment, car costs, food, TV, internet (for finding a better job) etc. My savings would soon dwindle, and I’d have to return to the UK to start again broke, and get back on the property ladder.

Reading this posting it does sound very negative, which isn’t a good reflection upon who I am. I strive to be the best I can be, to achieve all I can. But reading some of the posts on the site, has made me hit reality with a hard bump. I would expect to perhaps earn less than I do today as I would need to prove myself, but surely you would need at least $50,000 (less than I earn in a crappy Northern UK city) to get by, and keep going.

I’m sure if you’re going across there with a sizeable chunk of money from the sale of a house, that things would be easier, but that’s not an option for me. I’m guess if you’re coming from Russia, Pakistan, India (or any other developing country) then living in a “tower block” might seem less of a backwards step (and no I’m not been disrespectful to people who come from other nations). I was so up for the move, but now real practical issues, and potential problems lay in front of me. I’d love some help/advice from any Brits that have already taken that massive step and made the move.

I’ve got a “fact finding” trip booked for May 2007, ten years after my first, guess I’ve got to decide now whether this stays as an opportunity to check out things first hand, or whether I’m simply there to be a tourist.

Yours looking for inspiration

Rich
I want to say some small things like OMG would I ever love to know what it is like to earn £30,000 a year, sat nav, nice car, nice house, 6 times a year in the south of France... You sound like you have a wonderful life. Hate to be jealous here but my reason to go to Canada would be none of the above I don't earn much but if my lifestyle would be better then e.g. outdoor pursuits for one reason then Canada all the way but all the material things don't matter so much.... Oh and by the way I earn £12,000 a year to live in one of the most sought after (expensive) cities to live in Scotland which my wages will never reflect that ever, which is why I can't live here anymore.

Emma

Last edited by or4ngecrush; Jul 7th 2006 at 8:54 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
I want to say some small things like OMG would I ever love to know what it is like to earn £30,000 a year, sat nav, nice car, nice house, 6 times a year in the south of France... You sound like you have a wonderful life. Hate to be jealous here but my reason to go to Canada would be none of the above I don't earn much but if my lifestyle would be better then e.g. outdoor pursuits for one reason then Canada all the way but all the material things don't matter so much.... Oh and by the way I earn £12,000 a year to live in one of the most sought after (expensive) cities to live in Scotland which my wages will never reflect that ever, which is why I can't live here anymore.

Emma
I can't complain about my life, I've gone from being out of work back in '98 getting £49 a week to earning a sizeable salary. My trips to Nice are the "sparkle" that makes the stressful job worthwhile, but I guess I'm looking for new challenges.. maybe it's a midlife crisis I'm not into material things, but we all need money to pay the bills, & my biggest concern is moving to TO, only being able to just meet the rent, then wondering how to pay for other things... like food I'm gonna bite the bullet, get my application sent, and see how I feel in a couple of years time... Must look on ebay for a crystal ball to see how things pan out

Last edited by logic500; Jul 7th 2006 at 9:07 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

I can't complain about my life, I've gone from being out of work back in '98 getting £49 a week to earning a sizeable salary. My trips to Nice are the "sparkle" that makes the stressful job worthwhile, but I guess I'm looking for new challenges.. maybe it's a midlife crisis I'm not into material things, but we all need money to pay the bills, & my biggest concern is moving to TO, only being able to just meet the rent, then wondering how to pay for other things... like food I'm gonna bite the bullet, get my application sent, and see how I feel in a couple of years time... Must look on ebay for a crystal ball to see how things pan out
Can I just ask why Toronto is your only desired area? Just wondering as out here in the West, we have Vancouver and Calgary......are there no opportunities for your field of employment here? Your stress-relieving trips could then be taken in a log cabin in the Rockies

Just a thought
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

In the end you alone will have to make a decision and at least as a single person you only have to worry about yourself. Some people make a great success of moving here and some don't but in my opinion it's important to have quite specific reasons to make the move with a set goal at the end of it. I don't think that a generalised ideal of the Canadian lifestyle is enough because there are plenty of things over here that will let you down if you rely just on that. I happen to think that for anyone who has a great job in the UK along with a nice house and income, and perhaps a good circle of friends should stay just where they are.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
Can I just ask why Toronto is your only desired area? Just wondering as out here in the West, we have Vancouver and Calgary......are there no opportunities for your field of employment here? Your stress-relieving trips could then be taken in a log cabin in the Rockies

Just a thought
I chose Toronto because of the "relatively" short flight time, so I could go see the folks and family, and for them to come and see me, and because of the densely packed Golden Horseshoe area thinking it'd be a good place to obtain work... cabin in the Rockies sounds appealing though
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stepnek
In the end you alone will have to make a decision and at least as a single person you only have to worry about yourself. Some people make a great success of moving here and some don't but in my opinion it's important to have quite specific reasons to make the move with a set goal at the end of it. I don't think that a generalised ideal of the Canadian lifestyle is enough because there are plenty of things over here that will let you down if you rely just on that. I happen to think that for anyone who has a great job in the UK along with a nice house and income, and perhaps a good circle of friends should stay just where they are.
Thanks for the response, I hear what you're saying in the last part of your message, it's a risk I know that I'd not be able to achieve the same sort of success in Canada. It is a major decision that I've got to give continued thought to. I'm not a quitter so I would go at it to get somewhere careerwise in Canada, fight at it until I was down to my airfare home, but I've got a long way to go before I come close to getting PR, so many more talking to myself sessions I think (another benifit of living on your own). Cheers Rich
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

poll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of light

You'll probably find that things have changed a lot since you were last here. Yes they are a bit behind the UK but who cares. If you do decide Canada is the place for you, you will find other more exciting things to do in life. You will meet more people if you start putting yourself out there and joining in groups that you normally wouldn't have in the UK and you would be welcomed with kindness and generosity.

The majority of people who are on this site seem happy with their decision to move here. There are pro's and con's to everything in life. Its said a lot on here " its what is right for you".

Good luck with your trip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.