British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   SO Finding Permanent Roles on Van. Isle Health (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/so-finding-permanent-roles-van-isle-health-929458/)

HerMadge Nov 22nd 2019 4:34 pm

SO Finding Permanent Roles on Van. Isle Health

When we landed, we moved to a town north of Nanaimo for almost a year, and then transferred down to Victoria where we are now.
I work remotely for a British IT company, so not affected by the employment scene here however my SO works in the Healthcare sector (Mental Health and Addictions).
There is a HUGE demand for this sector and while not wanting to vent, the system of resourcing staff is ridiculous.
He first was employed as a team lead when he arrived, for a charitable organisation, where he managed an emergency shelter through the winter (last year).
Then he joined another organisation that provides housing to those who have addictions/mental health or housing needs.
He has been working with other organisations on a casual basis, gaining experience and hours - including the health authority on the island.
The demand for mental health and addictions resource is at an all-time high, yet they seem to funnel everyone through the casuals system, and this has burnt him out.
I know this is probably standard, but when you're working a permanent role, and you are also trying to get into a solid organisation (island health) it can really add to the burn especially within this sector that is already a stressful role to work in.
All of that said, he interviewed for a permanent role yesterday, and there was something about it that indicated the organisation are trying to keep him locked-in a casual role funnel.
Can anyone advise on the best way to approach this sort of internal structuring/resourcing method? I don't know but it is apparently a very Canadian way of doing things.
He is at the point of throwing in the towel with it all and just walking away.
In the UK he would have been hired in a permanent full time role no problem.
He is not accustomed to this expectation, but has been putting in a massive effort to make head way here and feeling like he's hitting a brick wall.

Anyone with experience in this please would be appreciated.
Not really looking for passing-comments Advice or guidance only please. :thumb:

Thanks
HM

Thanks

AMB1971 Nov 22nd 2019 5:42 pm

Re: SO Finding Permanent Roles on Van. Isle Health

Sadly its the Canadian version of the Zero Hours contract, very common, especially in health, you may look to Indigenous Health (which is usually delivered and financed federally) or i'm afraid consider another health region,

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 22nd 2019 5:48 pm

Re: SO Finding Permanent Roles on Van. Isle Health

Casual employment in healthcare is very common, its one way they keep costs down, some health authorities are also better than others, but casual and healthcare are pretty common.