Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So excited about Calgary!!!

Wikiposts

So excited about Calgary!!!

Old Nov 1st 2007, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of
Default So excited about Calgary!!!

Hi Everyone

Our story is a little complicated! I was offered a job in Edmonton, travelled there in September and we weren't really very keen on the place plus housing was expensive! We desperately wanted to move to Canada and agonised over the decision.....Today called the company and said Edmonton wasn't for us and guess what!!! They said how did you like Calgary!! They offered me a job there! We loved Calgary so Calgary here we come...I am so excited, beside myself...hubby excited.....PINCH ME AM I DREAMING!

Thanks for listening...but so excited
Julie
Old Nov 1st 2007, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So excited about Calgary!!!

Congratulations, good luck and best wishes!
Old Nov 1st 2007, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of

Thankyou so much Maddhobs

Can't believe our luck! You have such an amazing country and we so want to be a part of it, and give to it......was very emotional earlier because we thought we were saying No Edmonton isnt for us and so Goodbye Canada......The job offer in Calgary was so unexpected..pinch me again...we are so lucky and so thrilled..cant explain

kinds regards julie
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and what a start for you, a job offer in the hand, wow! At least you will be able to pick the brains of many on here as far as LMO and work permits are concerned for a start. Have fun here on BE and see you around. You're sure to be addicted before long!
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rhodeys
Hi Everyone

Our story is a little complicated! I was offered a job in Edmonton, travelled there in September and we weren't really very keen on the place plus housing was expensive! We desperately wanted to move to Canada and agonised over the decision.....Today called the company and said Edmonton wasn't for us and guess what!!! They said how did you like Calgary!! They offered me a job there! We loved Calgary so Calgary here we come...I am so excited, beside myself...hubby excited.....PINCH ME AM I DREAMING!

Julie
Congrats
Edmontons got a lovely mall though or so I've heard.
Don't expect the house prices to be cheaper here in Calgary, if anything they are more expensive.
Better have a check on MLS
Thomas
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Well done - u originally from Zim by any chance?
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

little flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant futurelittle flower has a brilliant future
Smile Re: So excited about Calgary!!!

Hi Everyone

Julie
You lucky people!!
We are 9 months down the line and still only through the first stage!!! A long way off still for us!!!
Good luck keep us posted on how wonderful the snow is!!!!!!!!!!!!!I want to play. We are going to wistler in Jan for two weeks though!
ANYONE KNOW BEST WAYS TO LOOK FOR WORK AS WE KNOW A JOB OFFER IS THE BEST WAY!
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Julie
Nice one Julie congratulations !
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your welcomes everyone! The houses we are looking at seem better priced than Edmontons nicer housing areas now, the prices there just go up and up. We have checked MLS and been pleasantly surprised, but thanks for your advice Thomas we need all the help we can get

Nope not from Zim Newshoney (do you mean Zimbawe)? Born in Devon Uk, now living in Nottinghamshire, Hubby from Nottinghamshire.

Keep going Little Flower you will get there. I am very fortunate in that I am a Nurse and Canada (especially Alberta and BC) have Nurses as a fast track as a skilled worker, we have the job offer through a recruitment agency who work for the Health Regions in Alberta. I already have the paperwork to say I am eligable to practice in AB and they say the visas take around 4 months, My hubby gets a work permit attached to mine Good luck with your search for a job, have you tried recruitment agencies? There is one called Trillium Human Resources or something similar they recruit lots of trades and professions. They have a web site www.trilliumhr.com , have a great time in Wistler.

Julie
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:07 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Julie
Congratulations Julie ....... you sound excited!
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations.

We're just waiting for WP and house to sell then we're heading for Calgary too
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you for all the welcomes. We've checked mls Thomas, the house prices for the kind of thing we are looking for seem more reasonable than the area's of Edmonton that we looked at. Thanks for the advice though - we certainly need as much help and advice as possible.

Newshoney - no we are not from Zim(babwe)? Both born and bred in England.

Little Flower, keep on going you will soon get there! I am fortunate as I am a Nurse and Canada (especially AB and BC) fast track Nurses due to the shortage and class Nursing as a required skilled worker. I got my job through a Nurse recruitment agency and already have all my paperwork making me eligable to practice in AB and they are saying that the visas take around 4 months from now. There is an agency called Trillium Human Resources or something like that www.trilliumhr.com they recruit lots of different trades and professions, maybe they could help?

Thanks for the congratulations everyone...we feel like we are walking on air!
Ourt house is still on the market too Boxerdog...good luck with selling

This is my third attempt at replying so everything crossed it works this time!
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

veengraham has a spectacular aura aboutveengraham has a spectacular aura aboutveengraham has a spectacular aura about

Thankyou so much Maddhobs

Can't believe our luck! You have such an amazing country and we so want to be a part of it, and give to it......was very emotional earlier because we thought we were saying No Edmonton isnt for us and so Goodbye Canada......The job offer in Calgary was so unexpected..pinch me again...we are so lucky and so thrilled..cant explain

kinds regards julie

i can understand why you are so excited!how amazing, as you say ,to be offered a position exactly where you want !
well good on you and all the best!
vee
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice

Well done peeps and big welcome to forum.

Great news on your job offer, keep plugging away.

We are hoping to settle in Calgary, bril place we think so anyway

Hope to get over there for a week in March, so the wife (Tracey) can go to some interviews she is lining up. She is an teachers assistant, but is going over as a Early Childhood Educator, which is on the shortage list.
She has just started to apply to different jobs and the responce has be brilliant, loads want to meet her, so keep your fingers crossed please.

There are loads of people on here that will help you along the road and you will come to make some great friends, like we have

If you are interested and you think you might be able to make it, there's a meet up in the Southern England area, where people from all walks of life and have the same goal, meet up for the day and chat and pass on advice about Canada and the emigration process. Just do a search for the Southern England meet up and see what you think, would like to meet you???

Anyway, congrats again, speak soon along the way.
regards,
Carl
Old Nov 8th 2007, 5:48 pm
Calgary, ex Sutton, Notts

Janet12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rhodeys,

Whereabouts in Notts are you from ? I moved to Calgary in 1980 from Sutton in Ashfield. Let me know if you need help settling in Calgary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.