Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So Edmonton It Is.Help Please:D

Wikiposts

So Edmonton It Is.Help Please:D

Old Apr 2nd 2013, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Irisheye has a brilliant futureIrisheye has a brilliant futureIrisheye has a brilliant futureIrisheye has a brilliant futureIrisheye has a brilliant futureIrisheye has a brilliant future
Default So Edmonton It Is.Help Please:D

So i have just had a Skype interview for an electrical job in Edmonton. it went very well i have took the position. I had been unsure where to go i looked into the Middle East,Nz,and many other parts around canada but i have decided on Edmonton.This is quite a big move for me as i live on a small rural island off the west coast of Ireland..So any help no matter how small will go along way.

First what kind of weather shall i be expecting in e-town in mid may? trying to decide what to bring as i have a 23 Kg Limit..Also could anyone advise safe area to live in? somewhere close enough to downtown as this is where my work will be based.Also whats the general day to day life in Edmonton such as activities to do in the evenings and nightlife? Many Irish around? or how will be people react to a farmer with one hell of an accent from the west coast of Ireland? I have plenty of info to look up over the next few days cant wait.

Last edited by Irisheye; Apr 2nd 2013 at 1:25 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 2:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So Edmonton It Is.Help Please:D

Originally Posted by Irisheye
So i have just had a Skype interview for an electrical job in Edmonton. it went very well i have took the position. I had been unsure where to go i looked into the Middle East,Nz,and many other parts around canada but i have decided on Edmonton.This is quite a big move for me as i live on a small rural island off the west coast of Ireland..So any help no matter how small will go along way.

First what kind of weather shall i be expecting in e-town in mid may? trying to decide what to bring as i have a 23 Kg Limit..Also could anyone advise safe area to live in? somewhere close enough to downtown as this is where my work will be based.Also whats the general day to day life in Edmonton such as activities to do in the evenings and nightlife? Many Irish around? or how will be people react to a farmer with one hell of an accent from the west coast of Ireland? I have plenty of info to look up over the next few days cant wait.
Who are you flying with? You can probably pay extra for one bag more - or have it sent excess baggage.

Air Transat:

***Additional bags:***
65 £ (100 $ CA) for the 2nd bag
130 £ (200 $ CA) for the 3rd bag and each subsequent bag

http://www.airtransat.co.uk/en/gamme...voyageur&id=25

Old Apr 2nd 2013, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

kizzylady has a brilliant futurekizzylady has a brilliant futurekizzylady has a brilliant futurekizzylady has a brilliant futurekizzylady has a brilliant futurekizzylady has a brilliant future

Congrats on the new job. Check out Irish in Edmonton on fb, give you a rough idea of how many Irish are here already.Don't think you'll have any problem with your accent here, they will probably think you are from Newfoundland most of the time
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 4:27 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

First what kind of weather shall i be expecting in e-town in mid may?
Congrats on the new job.

Weathwise here are the daily data for May 2012 at the Edmonton City Centre Airport

Average highs 17°C, average overnight lows 6°C. You can check other months and years quite easily.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 6:40 pm
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

First what kind of weather shall i be expecting in e-town in mid may? Should be nice enough, though we had snow in May 2 out of the 3 years I was there.

..Also could anyone advise safe area to live in? somewhere close enough to downtown as this is where my work will be based. Oliver, just on the western side of downtown is your best bet. Plenty of choice of apartments and condos, all price ranges.

Also whats the general day to day life in Edmonton such as activities to do in the evenings and nightlife?
There is nightlife of sorts. Downtown itself is a bit dead, so your best bet is Whyte Avenue over the other (south) side of the river. Some decent-ish pubs and places to eat.

Many Irish around? A fair few.

or how will be people react to a farmer with one hell of an accent from the west coast of Ireland? They'll just assume you're Australian, as they do with any regional British accent.

I have plenty of info to look up over the next few days cant wait.
An Edmonton forum to give you a few pointers - http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Mrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really nice

Hi irisheye,

Have you sorted your AIT? We are moving to Red Deer just an hour or so south of Edmonton. Heaps of groups on FB for meeting irish/expats too so maybe start there. Best of luck.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 2:21 am
Just Joined

bclynes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Do you have the address of where you'll be working? I can tell you what the local areas are like. Are you looking to rent a place initially?

I am from Dublin and settled near Stony Plain (Just west of Edmonton) nearly 10 years ago.

B
Old Apr 6th 2013, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Irisheye has a brilliant futureIrisheye has a brilliant futureIrisheye has a brilliant futureIrisheye has a brilliant futureIrisheye has a brilliant futureIrisheye has a brilliant future

hey i don't no yet. i was told my first work will be in a commercial unit downtown. i would be looking for a house share at the start and maybe then looking to move in to own 1 bed down the line when i get sorted. i would like somewhere close to public transport as i wont be driving for a month or 2 until i get set up. i will be just staying in a hostel till i find somewhere to live

Thanks for all the help some great advice
Old Apr 6th 2013, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Many Irish around?

http://edmontonirishclub.ca/
Old Apr 7th 2013, 12:59 am
Just Joined

yorkshirery is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations on the job. Hopefully I'll be in this position soon. I've just started my AIT application. Waiting on one of my previous employers to return my experience form.

Are you going on a Tempoary Foriegn Worker permit? Did you apply for the job online from home?
Old Apr 7th 2013, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

I have a 2 year visa its called the IEC. basically an open work permit to allow me to work for 2 years legally in canada.

There was a job expo in Ireland with big firms coming over with jobs they liked me and my experience i done a Skype interview and got offered the job. i will be based in e-town first with the option of moveing to the oil sands fly in fly out gig on camp etc.

Last edited by Irisheye; Apr 7th 2013 at 1:50 am.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 2:11 am
Just Joined

It sounds good. I've been to few expos in England but never been anyone there employing pipefitters.

The camp work is something I'm looking at. Does your employer pay for you to fly out to Canada?

Good luck with your job and move to Canada
Old Apr 7th 2013, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks mate yea they do.
All the best for for you too.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Just been looking at some info and was wondering if you sorted your own work visa out? I was under the impression from previous research that you had to have a job offer to apply for a Temporary Foreign Worker visa? Is this is the case with your visa?

Cheers
Old Apr 9th 2013, 7:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkshirery
Just been looking at some info and was wondering if you sorted your own work visa out? I was under the impression from previous research that you had to have a job offer to apply for a Temporary Foreign Worker visa? Is this is the case with your visa?

Cheers
See post no 11 - the OP is getting an IEC which is an open work permit, so no job offer required.

For a normal TWP though, a job offer is needed first.

HTH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.