Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So confused- having second thoughts...scared

So confused- having second thoughts...scared

Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:48 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So confused- having second thoughts...scared

What was the phrase Judy used? ...... "the immigration hamsters"?

Our application process took about two years, and we found a research trip in the second year was a wonderful way of rekindling and cementing the enthusiasm at a time when waiting and wondering was wearing us down, and staying in our comfort zone was beginning to seem like an attractive idea .....
Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Don't sell your house....then if it goes belly up, you have a home to return to. I cannot see why you would want to move, given everything you detail in your post.
Good advice- we wished we had not sold our house, we would have gone back - hubby never found work in his field..
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tracyandneil
We are due to go over to Edmonton in May for hubby to sit his tests for Edmonton Police.

But lately i am so happy with our life over here, i love my job, i love my friends and even our house.....

I think i am just getting all scared. At the moment we could move to a nice area and nice house (bigger and detached compared to current house). I love my job, really enjoy it now, only moved jobs in sept but love it. And i am thinking ahead to the future, kids... we have friends here that i trust and it breaks my heart to leave our best friends behind and their kids....

I feel like i am more realistic than my hubby, he thinks it will all be great out there, perfect right from the start. I know it will be so hard... for a while

Here i love my job, maternity leave would be great, a get a great hol allowance etc....

Ahhhhh i am just so confused at the moment....

Then i also think of all the great things Canada promises....

Sorry does anyone else feel or felt this way!!!!!????

I am just confused about it all...

We wont need to make any decisions until hubby passes his tests in may then we need to decide.

xx
Well I would put your concerns on one side for the moment. Enjoy the life that you have, then when you go over in May for your husband to take his tests, take a good look at what Edmonton has to offer, and weigh up the pros and cons.

One thing to bear in mind is that I suspect for you it is not a now or never. The likelihood is that the demand for police officers will remain (given that there has been demand for some time) and you may find that this is not the right time for you, or you may go over and be really enthused. One thing that helped me feel more relaxed about the whole immigration thing (for me also my husband was the instigator, although I was very much a willing partner) was arranging things so I could come back. I have a secondment of up to two years, and the house is on a two year letting. I would suspect that the police force would be prepared to give your husband a sabatical - it's certainly worth enquiring. That way you can go for the adventure, knowing that the option is open to come back, and if you really enjoy it, then you can arrange to stay for longer, or forever.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
just wanted to add, the hardest thing for me was putting our house up for sale. When we had tidied it up I fell in love with it again and it felt like a real wrench because I had put a lot of work and heart into getting it as it is.
But then I looked on websites and asked questions on BE. Our roots are very strong but I recalled why I wanted to go and it put it back into perspective for me. I dont think men feel the same about houses.
It must be so difficult for you if you cant see why you want to go.
Tina