Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Snakes and Spiders in Canada?

Wikiposts

Snakes and Spiders in Canada?

Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:47 am
Stooodent

Chippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really nice
Default Re: Snakes and Spiders in Canada?

Bring on the Black Widows I say! Even my arachnophobia can't dissuade me from moving.

I say this now...
Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

CHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
AHHHHHHH!! Reminds me of the love bugs we get here, they fly around mating, millions of them!! During Spring we get millions of them on our car as we are driving, all squashed to bits. Poor little things, just trying to get some nooky
I was in a Motor Home for a couple of weeks and went to Panama City Beach, then onto Ocala and up to Georgia - I had to wash the front of the RV a few times on one day, and couldn't figure out why people were calling them "love bugs" - then I noticed all the squashed one's were actually pairs of bugs!

Still, better than the Black Widow's though.......... there's no way I'm letting my wife see that picture
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CHRISRICHES

Still, better than the Black Widow's though.......... there's no way I'm letting my wife see that picture
Ahoy, Grammar Police to this thread.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Unless, of course that's a meta-referential-hyper-apostrophe, in which case, I apologize.

Black Widow's talents have been known to turn me on too.

(in another life, of course)
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I've just spat coffee over my keyboard at the idea you can keep aunts away with cucumber peel. Yes, I know it was a typo, and I'm not having a go at that, but I just had this image pop into my head of an elderly spinster throwing up her hands as she walks up the driveway and saying "oh, Heavens-to-Betsy, look at all that cucumber peel, I can't possibly stay here."

I wonder if it works for mothers-in-law too, or if it's just aunts!
Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
Perhaps you brandish a stick of chalk and wave it at passing aunts?? Would the chalk/cucumber have to be used by a niece or nephew to that aunt??

Or perhaps a chalk necklace worn by these nieces and nephews to ward off sloppy kisses from maiden aunts?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Unless, of course that's a meta-referential-hyper-apostrophe, in which case, I apologize.

Black Widow's talents have been known to turn me on too.

(in another life, of course)
Turn you on to what, I wonder........ (assuming that was one too many "O's", as opposed to an errant comma )

On the subject of creepy crawlies in Canada though; I've seen less here than I did in all my time in England....ok - so it was only 28 years! My daughter was so freaked out at the sight of a house spider under her bed in the cottage we rented there this summer; that she refused to sleep in her room for the remainder of the week
Old Sep 6th 2007, 11:07 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

I can safely say that 16+ years living in Montreal I had never encountered a 'house' spider (ie; spider that comes into the house) larger than the size of a quarter (bout the size of a 10p coin)... since having moved to the UK however, it seems a weekly occurence of having spiders larger then a 2.00 coin run across the carpet to my shrieks.

Not seen a snake in the UK yet (aside from my OH ) but only came across snakes once in Montreal when cycling by the lakes, it must have been a nest that had just hatched as dozens of small snakes were slithering across the bike path ahead... prompting us to quickly end our day out & return to the car *lol*

EDIT: Just wanted to add in response to an earlier post (cant be bothered flipping back through the pages) that snakes survive by hibernating through the winters much like the bears do, they can be found curled up in holes in the ground very often taking advantage of another hibernating animals cozy burrow. So very often a bear or badgers hibernating cave/hole is accompanied by snakes taking advantage of the warm blooded mamals that also need to hibernate. Spiders try to find their way into our homes in the Fall/Autumn (so you'll be more likely to come across them during that season in your homes) to avoid the coming deep freezes. My experience was that they seemed to thrive in our basement storage room where we kept a stack of firewood which they seemed to feel right at home in.

Last edited by Daedra; Sep 6th 2007 at 11:13 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 10:14 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Snakes and Spiders in Canada?

Originally Posted by Daedra
I can safely say that 16+ years living in Montreal I had never encountered a 'house' spider (ie; spider that comes into the house) larger than the size of a quarter (bout the size of a 10p coin)... since having moved to the UK however, it seems a weekly occurence of having spiders larger then a 2.00 coin run across the carpet to my shrieks.

Not seen a snake in the UK yet (aside from my OH ) but only came across snakes once in Montreal when cycling by the lakes, it must have been a nest that had just hatched as dozens of small snakes were slithering across the bike path ahead... prompting us to quickly end our day out & return to the car *lol*

EDIT: Just wanted to add in response to an earlier post (cant be bothered flipping back through the pages) that snakes survive by hibernating through the winters much like the bears do, they can be found curled up in holes in the ground very often taking advantage of another hibernating animals cozy burrow. So very often a bear or badgers hibernating cave/hole is accompanied by snakes taking advantage of the warm blooded mamals that also need to hibernate. Spiders try to find their way into our homes in the Fall/Autumn (so you'll be more likely to come across them during that season in your homes) to avoid the coming deep freezes. My experience was that they seemed to thrive in our basement storage room where we kept a stack of firewood which they seemed to feel right at home in.
You would hate Florida. We see snakes in our yard all the time in the summer. Grass Snakes are harmless, cottonmouths are not. Both regularly come to visit, as do Brown Recluse spiders.
Attached Thumbnails Snakes and Spiders in Canada?-cottonmouth.jpg   Snakes and Spiders in Canada?-brown-recluse.jpg  
Old Sep 12th 2007, 11:08 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
You would hate Florida. We see snakes in our yard all the time in the summer. Grass Snakes are harmless, cottonmouths are not. Both regularly come to visit, as do Brown Recluse spiders.
Right well this is one half Quebecer who will never grace the shores of Florida in that case *lol* Seriously though, lived in the pacific islands of Fiji and had seen some pretty nasty sized bugs (and lizards & snakes) which was one of my reasons for loving Canada so much... they creeped me right the eff out in Fiji. Come to North West England and start seeing spiders to rival the big ones I saw in Fiji and start thinking this aint the place for me to settle down in as I'll be having hysterical screaming fits every week... what would the future kids (and hubby) think of that! Might get locked up in a loony bin *lol*
Old Sep 12th 2007, 11:38 am
Stooodent

Chippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really nice

I've been to Florida twice... and I didn't see a snake nor a spider. I did, however, see a dozen alligators - and I also experienced Hurricane Charley.

I'm still undecided on what's worse - 8-legged bastards or tropical storms.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chippers
I've been to Florida twice... and I didn't see a snake nor a spider. I did, however, see a dozen alligators - and I also experienced Hurricane Charley.

Blimey - eight legged Alligators??
Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:27 pm
Stooodent

Originally Posted by Calgal
Blimey - eight legged Alligators??
I can't decide if that would either be totally awesome, or completely freaky.

I'm leaning towards totally awesome.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:05 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Snakes and Spiders in Canada?

Right well this is one half Quebecer who will never grace the shores of Florida in that case *lol* Seriously though, lived in the pacific islands of Fiji and had seen some pretty nasty sized bugs (and lizards & snakes) which was one of my reasons for loving Canada so much... they creeped me right the eff out in Fiji. Come to North West England and start seeing spiders to rival the big ones I saw in Fiji and start thinking this aint the place for me to settle down in as I'll be having hysterical screaming fits every week... what would the future kids (and hubby) think of that! Might get locked up in a loony bin *lol*
Spiders in England look ugly but usually they can't harm you. Spiders here can, from the Brown Recluse to Black Widow, and others in between. When we visited the Florida Keys last year we got a nasty surprise, Scorpions!! Now that did creep me out lol.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:07 am
Account Closed

Post Re: Snakes and Spiders in Canada?

Originally Posted by Chippers

Alligators are a natural hazard here, which is why all stretches of water have to be treated with suspicion and respect. Not wise to swim in Rivers or lakes here, Mr. Alli Gator Esq might come visiting, and he is a hooligan LOL.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:08 am
Senile Member

Agh dont mention Scorpions, as a Virgo I was unlucky enough to have not one but 3 Scorpions (I mean Scorpios) and avoid them like the plague now, they can be nasty peices of work with the sting in their tails *lol*
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:12 am
Account Closed

Smile Re: Snakes and Spiders in Canada?

Agh dont mention Scorpions, as a Virgo I was unlucky enough to have not one but 3 Scorpions (I mean Scorpios) and avoid them like the plague now, they can be nasty peices of work with the sting in their tails *lol*
How dare you young lady, I will have you know I am a scorpio in good standing lol. Birthdate October 24th!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.