Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Small SUV - Which would you choose?

Small SUV - Which would you choose?

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:57 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small SUV - Which would you choose?

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Yup. Someone has to love them just like the Volkswagen Thing and AMC Gremlin.

My daughter has her eyes on my Cooper S.
Hmm, mine would quite like a Lincoln Continental, a Jag or a F150 Oh and then she would quite like a '55 Chevy for the summer
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:03 am
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

With regards to CRV, I only know people that rave on about them, we very nearly bought one a couple of years ago, they are very nice. incidently, i have had a few long legged people in the back of a few cars of mine.

I can't imagine Toyota ever producing anything but a reliable car, irrespective of where they are built. So they are not off the list and there are some great deals on the Rav 4 , I suspect they are about to change the model. Thanks for the replies.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:15 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh, and by the way: Millie please meet Mr. Martin, he's the Fiat 500 fan I mentioned on that car thread in the France forum.
Novo - many thanks and hello Mr. Martin! The fiat 500 is expensive for what it is, I got the 6 gear 1.4 sport version with all the bells and whistles, and she is fun to drive, but pricey for a small car. Also as our son is shooting up like a weed, there is less room for him and his mates legs in the back! Also my husband recently rented one in Vancouver and said it was a lot heavier to drive and a much more lumpy ride than it's European brother. This is why I'm really thinking of going for a 'compact crossover' - this phrase isin all the car mags! I too have seen some good bargains on the Rav4, and waver between that and the Suzuki SX4....
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Small SUV - Which would you choose?

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Hmm, mine would quite like a Lincoln Continental, a Jag or a F150 Oh and then she would quite like a '55 Chevy for the summer
Hi Piff Poff,

My second car is a '55 Chevy, and it has a higher towing capacity than my Honda CRV!

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:20 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I don't believe that for a moment. Is this "received wisdom" or can you point to anything more concrete to back up your assertion?
There is some truth to it, believe it or not. I can't provide a link to the article but it mentioned that Canadian-built vehicles have developed this reputation among car buyers in the US, of all places.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:21 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Small SUV - Which would you choose?-cube.jpg

The tin can on wheels, lol.

Small SUV - Which would you choose?-austin-mini.jpg

Mr Bean "S".
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 3:44 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Another shout out for the CRV. Ours is coming up to 13 years old, close to its third trip around the clock. It is on its third timing, belt, third set of tires and third set of brake pads. Everything else is original. Just scheduled servicing.

It has a four cylinder, two litre, 150 bhp engine so it is not exactly a grand tourer bu it has been a great workhorse. It auto selects four wheel drive when necessary so although we don't do a lot of off-roading the capability is there whenever we need it.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 5:42 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahBC
Hi Piff Poff,

My second car is a '55 Chevy, and it has a higher towing capacity than my Honda CRV!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...s/IMG_0585.jpg
Very nice. We have had a '55 Chevy in the UK and a '57 wagon here. Are you coming to the Super Run in Red Deer in the summer (also known as Rockin' Red Deer)? It's a great weekend, cars come from all over the place including the States
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Small SUV - Which would you choose?

Very nice. We have had a '55 Chevy in the UK and a '57 wagon here. Are you coming to the Super Run in Red Deer in the summer (also known as Rockin' Red Deer)? It's a great weekend, cars come from all over the place including the States
Hi Piff Poff,

I wish my '55 would make it to Red Deer! (We can just about get it over the hump coming out of Port Alberni - it's completely stock).

We'll be at the Billing NRSA Fun Run in Northampton on June 9th, to see our old car club chums. I had an '81 Pontiac Grand Prix as my daily driver before leaving for Canada - but I'll be taking a Corsa (or similar) to Billing.

Do you have any old cars now?

Sarah
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 9:19 pm

Hi Piff Poff,

I wish my '55 would make it to Red Deer! (We can just about get it over the hump coming out of Port Alberni - it's completely stock).

We'll be at the Billing NRSA Fun Run in Northampton on June 9th, to see our old car club chums. I had an '81 Pontiac Grand Prix as my daily driver before leaving for Canada - but I'll be taking a Corsa (or similar) to Billing.

Do you have any old cars now?

Sarah
OMG we used to go to Billing all the time Really miss it, the swap meet at Arena Essex was always the start of our season, with Billing, Santapod, Knebworth and such like making an appearance all summer long. The only time we didn't go to Billing was if it was wet wet wet as we didn't want to get stuck

We have a few cars right now, just sold a 50's Pontiac today. OH's are a couple of '74 - '76 Torinos (Starsky and Hutch) a '73 Mustang a Transam, a hot rod project a Challenger Project another couple of Mustangs and a some other stuff. I have a Triumph Spitfire and a '73 Capri. The Capri and the Torino should be at the Super Run.

My daily drivers used to change every few months as OH got bored with them, a '90 Mustang GT convertible was my 1st 'Muscle' car. OH always had the older stuff. I'd love a classic car I can use year round, hoping the Capri might work, not sure how it will be in the snow though

Not very helpful on a thread of SUV's sorry guys
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 11:07 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Novo - many thanks and hello Mr. Martin! The fiat 500 is expensive for what it is, I got the 6 gear 1.4 sport version with all the bells and whistles, and she is fun to drive, but pricey for a small car. Also as our son is shooting up like a weed, there is less room for him and his mates legs in the back! Also my husband recently rented one in Vancouver and said it was a lot heavier to drive and a much more lumpy ride than it's European brother. This is why I'm really thinking of going for a 'compact crossover' - this phrase isin all the car mags! I too have seen some good bargains on the Rav4, and waver between that and the Suzuki SX4....
The Abarth is going to be rather special I think. 5 grand cheaper than a Mini Cooper S. An SUV will always be an SUV and nothing more. I quite liked the original RAV4 - especially the 3 door. Since then it has just got bloated.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 6:42 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
The Abarth is going to be rather special I think. 5 grand cheaper than a Mini Cooper S. An SUV will always be an SUV and nothing more. I quite liked the original RAV4 - especially the 3 door. Since then it has just got bloated.
Please don't praise the Abarth - my husband will read this and buy 'me' one immediately! He really likes the look of them. Yes, all of these SUV things are big and clunky looking and I feel a need to gain weight and swagger a bit if I'm going to drive one....
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 2:36 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a guy in Coeur D'Alene driving one of these, except it was green and white.

Anyway, it had the original plates on it and a Korean War veteran bumper sticker, so that dude had been driving it since the 1950s. That is a long time to be driving the same car...
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 2:38 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

OMG we used to go to Billing all the time
Saw one of the Packards I think from Heritage Park (as it had an Alberta plate) on I-15 in Arizona a few months ago, I assume they'd taken it down there to get it fixed.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_
Saw one of the Packards I think from Heritage Park (as it had an Alberta plate) on I-15 in Arizona a few months ago, I assume they'd taken it down there to get it fixed.
Could have been a museum transfer/loan or car show? It wouldn't have to go that far for fixing...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.