Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Small Cars in Canada

Small Cars in Canada

Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:30 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Small Cars in Canada

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Sorry, I have just realised I am being mocked on two threads which makes it hard to keep up!

They have just taken pre-orders for the first 500 limited edition cars. Seems they will arrive in April. I was lucky (yes, go on....) to get one of these.

Unlike dbd I don't spend my days traversing Ontario (I do about 5,000kms or less a year) so am hoping this will make servicing and maintenance less of an issue. However, time will tell. I've had enough dodgy Alfas to be prepared. There was a time when my checked bags to/from the UK basically only contained used car parts....

Sadly, not all academics are created equal. I'm a fairly crap and hence fairly poor one. It would of course help if I didn't keep moving countries... I think the C30 is great, but that is well out of my price range.

I2C - when it arrives I will take you and the dog out in it - it does have a sunroof and (I should point) out extremely good interior space...
I'll hunt out a pair of large plastic ears.

I suppose you are like a celebrity, with your limited edition car.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Sorry, I have just realised I am being mocked on two threads which makes it hard to keep up!

They have just taken pre-orders for the first 500 limited edition cars. Seems they will arrive in April. I was lucky (yes, go on....) to get one of these.

Unlike dbd I don't spend my days traversing Ontario (I do about 5,000kms or less a year) so am hoping this will make servicing and maintenance less of an issue. However, time will tell. I've had enough dodgy Alfas to be prepared. There was a time when my checked bags to/from the UK basically only contained used car parts....

Sadly, not all academics are created equal. I'm a fairly crap and hence fairly poor one. It would of course help if I didn't keep moving countries... I think the C30 is great, but that is well out of my price range.

I2C - when it arrives I will take you and the dog out in it - it does have a sunroof and (I should point) out extremely good interior space...
A tall chap like you would need that sunroof to fit in it
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps a pair of "truck nutz" for the Fiat would clear up any confusion
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:00 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Perhaps a pair of "truck nutz" for the Fiat would clear up any confusion
Why stop there?
Attached Thumbnails Small Cars in Canada-fiat.jpg  
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:37 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jericho
Keep in mind that if you're sat in a little yaris (or whatever), you're gonna be a bit of a mess if you get hit by an F150.
Correction, you'll probably be dead. I saw this a couple of years ago where a Fit was squashed in between two full size trucks, what was left of the person inside was oozing out onto the road like Tomato Puree.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
Correction, you'll probably be dead. I saw this a couple of years ago where a Fit was squashed in between two full size trucks, what was left of the person inside was oozing out onto the road like Tomato Puree.
On the other hand in something small and nippy you run a better chance of stoping, steering and avoiding a collision in the first place. People in Europe seem to survive driving in compacts and subcompacts OK, and they are running against Big Trucks and Lorries too.

At some point physics and momentum do come into play in the consequences of a collision, but all modern cars are kitted with crush zones, umpteen airbags etc to mitigate that risk, and the flip side to the lack of mass is its easier to stop and steer. I would not be frightened into driving a larger vehicle than I need out of that fear.

Besides, anyone caught between two F150s traveling at speed is going to face some serious consequences, no matter what they are driving.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand in something small and nippy you run a better chance of stoping, steering and avoiding a collision in the first place. People in Europe seem to survive driving in compacts and subcompacts OK, and they are running against Big Trucks and Lorries too.

At some point physics and momentum do come into play in the consequences of a collision, but all modern cars are kitted with crush zones, umpteen airbags etc to mitigate that risk, and the flip side to the lack of mass is its easier to stop and steer. I would not be frightened into driving a larger vehicle than I need out of that fear.

Besides, anyone caught between two F150s traveling at speed is going to face some serious consequences, no matter what they are driving.
Agreed. And anyway the solution to the problem, in so far as one exists, is to get rid of F-150s and the like, not to drive an urban attack vehicle yourself.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I walked away from a Suzuki Forsa Turbo that was squished front and rear between two trucks (I was stopped on sheet ice on the 401, the driver behind didn't notice the traffic and hit me at what the police estimated as 70 mph), the car crumpled in the textbook manner leaving me in the uncrumpled zone. I was also in a Ford Fiesta that was cut in two by the rear wheels of a transport truck running over it, again I walked away. I don't think that, in either case, I would have been less damaged had I been in a larger vehicle.

I would try any of that in a Fiat, mind.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

kimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this pointkimkerly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
There is, of course, the Smart car.
I have driven a smart car for 10 years now(in britian) brilliant little cars...they are safe, nippy, economical, and dispite the look of its size, i have managed to get an 8ft christmas tree in mine....and they are fun....when we get to canada...its one car i will look at getting again
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:56 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Unfortunately in this case the Fit was behind another truck sat at some lights and was rear ended by another truck travelling at around 50 kmh. There was literally nothing left of the car length wise.

Just pointing out facts, don't forget I drive probably the most dangerous car to drive in the event of an accident! If I had kids I'd probably want them in something with a longer crumple zone.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milkmaid
I have driven a smart car for 10 years now(in britian) brilliant little cars...they are safe, nippy, economical, and dispite the look of its size, i have managed to get an 8ft christmas tree in mine....and they are fun....when we get to canada...its one car i will look at getting again
How will the wheels go round and round when they're not taller than the snow?
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:57 pm
Meh

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Agreed. And anyway the solution to the problem, in so far as one exists, is to get rid of F-150s and the like, not to drive an urban attack vehicle yourself.
That's not going to happen any time soon!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:59 pm
Meh

Originally Posted by dbd33
How will the wheels go round and round when they're not taller than the snow?
Most Smart cars and Prius type hybrids tend to disappear from the roads in the winter months.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

That's not going to happen any time soon!
Do you still have the V8 Caterham? I Wouldnt fancy an unexpected interface with an F150 in that, but I bet its still more fun than a barrel full of monkeys

Most Smart cars and Prius type hybrids tend to disappear from the roads in the winter months.
Maybe in Alberta (There are Prius drivers in albeta, live and learn!), but in Ontario Ive seen them both with snow tires on.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:09 pm
Meh

Do you still have the V8 Caterham? I Wouldnt fancy an unexpected interface with an F150 in that, but I bet its still more fun than a barrel full of monkeys

Maybe in Alberta (There are Prius drivers in albeta, live and learn!), but in Ontario Ive seen them both with snow tires on.
Yep, been using on the race track this year too. I almost had a head on collision with some stupid tart texting in a Murano who drifted onto my side of the road in the summer. Had to take to the verge. I don't think she ever noticed I was there. I'm looking at upping the bhp to around the 400 mark for next year and converting the front end to inboard shocks. A full roll cage is in order too along with some stickier tires.

Yep, lots of them. I don't think they're much use when it's -40 as they'd have to run the whole time just to keep the car warm. Can't see any reason not to use a Smart car though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.