Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Small Cars in Canada

Small Cars in Canada

Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:10 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small Cars in Canada

I should point out that I will be moving to the Fiat from a 1993 Honda Del Sol. Thus the Fiat is likely to represent not only a major increase in safety but also in my sense of emasculation. Of course the Honda is in for a service today, where, I expect, as usual, it will be returned needing nothing except an oil change.
Should anyone be looking for a cheap, small, reliable, two owner, FSH (with all documentation!) from new, fun, slightly effeminate car, do let me know. It will likely be for sale in the spring.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:31 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

I will put my vote in for the Yaris Hatchback. Had mine for nearly 3 years and it has served me very well.
It has handled everything the Calgary winters have thrown at it, and I have to say its great fun when it starts to fishtail round the bends
Would recommend a good set of winter tires for it though and my main "problem" with it is that its wing mirrors seem to be just the right hight for the trucks and SUV's headlights to shine on them and blind me
Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:38 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GavinR
Most Smart cars and Prius type hybrids tend to disappear from the roads in the winter months.
You're obviously not looking then.

Lots of Smart cars, Prius and other hybrids on the roads, winter doesn't make any difference.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:56 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You're obviously not looking then.

Lots of Smart cars, Prius and other hybrids on the roads, winter doesn't make any difference.
Nice, getting grouchy in our old age are we?! I've always found them noticable by their absence, even commentated on it before now to the missus. However, as I said, Prius's must be way less fuel efficient in cold temps.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:06 pm

Nice, getting grouchy in our old age are we?! I've always found them noticable by their absence, even commentated on it before now to the missus. However, as I said, Prius's must be way less fuel efficient in cold temps.
Getting touchy in ours too are we, I was just pointing out that they're still on the road.

Yes they are less efficient in winter, but likely the difference between summer efficiency and winter efficiency is not that much different to ordinary vehicles.

My Hybrid Camry drops from 45mpg in summer to about 39mpg in winter.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:25 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Getting touchy in ours too are we, I was just pointing out that they're still on the road.

Yes they are less efficient in winter, but likely the difference between summer efficiency and winter efficiency is not that much different to ordinary vehicles.

My Hybrid Camry drops from 45mpg in summer to about 39mpg in winter.
That's pretty good, I'd have thought it worse than that. Certainly better than my Lotus which manages around 1mpg on the track

I'd be interested to see Toyotas figures for cradle to grave energy cost for the Prius, they've been asked for it by the British government but refuse to give it up. Personally I think hybrids are not all they're cracked up to be. They're carrying around a whole load of extra weight and we'd be far better off investing in Hydrogen, Methane, clean diesel or purely electric development. It's a good selling point for the car companies, but it's noticable that in Europe they sell very few because the diesels are available, just about as efficient and don't use up lots of precious metals in manufacture. A bit of a fad until something better comes along.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

Thanks guys for all your suggestions and experiences with the smaller cars so far. A Smart car is probably too small for me I think. I am thinking i may test drive a Honda Fit and Golf via the dealers to get started and take it from there. I probably will not buy it now until the worst of the winter is over! My hubby has an Audi A5 but now i will need a car for my new job next year so we need a second car. I want to try an automatic this time round and i guess 90 percent of the cars here are automatic anyway! I have always driven a manual in the past though.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:31 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I should point out that I will be moving to the Fiat from a 1993 Honda Del Sol. Thus the Fiat is likely to represent not only a major increase in safety but also in my sense of emasculation. Of course the Honda is in for a service today, where, I expect, as usual, it will be returned needing nothing except an oil change.
Should anyone be looking for a cheap, small, reliable, two owner, FSH (with all documentation!) from new, fun, slightly effeminate car, do let me know. It will likely be for sale in the spring.
Are you going for an auto or manual tranny?
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

wavetossed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KerinaK2008
I used to drive a Renault Clio in London and prefer the smaller cars. If anyone has any suggestions, would love to hear from you.
I too am a Clio owner, arriving in Canada next week. My plan is to look at Nissan since the Clio is built on the same Renault-Nissan platform as the Micra, and a stretch version of that platform is used for the Versa. I was planning to look at the Versa first since it is not as important to have a small car in Canada, i.e. they don't have the same kind of narrow streets, and constant zigzagging around parked cars that you get in many UK towns.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:46 pm
Meh

Originally Posted by wavetossed
I too am a Clio owner, arriving in Canada next week. My plan is to look at Nissan since the Clio is built on the same Renault-Nissan platform as the Micra, and a stretch version of that platform is used for the Versa. I was planning to look at the Versa first since it is not as important to have a small car in Canada, i.e. they don't have the same kind of narrow streets, and constant zigzagging around parked cars that you get in many UK towns.
How about a Nissan Leaf?
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:47 pm

That's pretty good, I'd have thought it worse than that. Certainly better than my Lotus which manages around 1mpg on the track

I'd be interested to see Toyotas figures for cradle to grave energy cost for the Prius, they've been asked for it by the British government but refuse to give it up. Personally I think hybrids are not all they're cracked up to be. They're carrying around a whole load of extra weight and we'd be far better off investing in Hydrogen, Methane, clean diesel or purely electric development. It's a good selling point for the car companies, but it's noticable that in Europe they sell very few because the diesels are available, just about as efficient and don't use up lots of precious metals in manufacture. A bit of a fad until something better comes along.
I don't concern my self with the total cost issues. Maybe I should but I have other things to worry about.

I was looking for a fuel efficient vehicle about the size of my old Camry at a reasonable cost. This priced out at very similar to the V6 XLE at the time and gets much better mileage.

I'm happy with it and all that's important in any vehicle, is are you happy with your purchase?

Edit: There is one thing I am not happy with and that is there is no convenient way to turn off the bloody traction control. If you get caught stopped on ice with a slight incline the car just refuses to move forward. There is a work around I found on a forum but a switch would have been nice to have.

Last edited by Steve_P; Nov 25th 2010 at 6:51 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:53 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Are you going for an auto or manual tranny?
Which would you recommend, given your obvious (and extensive) experience?
Old Nov 25th 2010, 7:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I can't help you with that, as I don't cross disciplines.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 7:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Id have thought a manual box on something with a relatively small engine like that would be a no brainer?
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:42 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

On account of our Suzuki being small and "light", while being crushed, it was also pushed and turned off the road (away from the tractor-trailer that rolled onto it early this summer). Similarly, I think if we were in something bigger/heavier we probably wouldn't have been so lucky.

It was a bit of a freak accident though, so I don't know if it really adds much to the "which is best size of car in Canada?" argument.

However, to the OP, and no surprise to others, I have to recommend the SX4, at least for a test drive. Apparently it's the car they are using on Top Gear America's "Big star, small car" (although I'm not sure if the connotations are good or bad here)..

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think that, in either case, I would have been less damaged had I been in a larger vehicle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.