Reload this Page >

Slow Employment Civil Engineer

Slow Employment Civil Engineer

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

UK28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Slow Employment Civil Engineer

Hi,

I am a civil engineer working for a top main contractor in London UK and about to get a working permit.

I have had several interviews and contacting contractors for commercial/industrial construction employment. I have had positive feedback and promises of further interviews. However it is sooooo slow, where I don't here anything for weeks. Starting to think of whether there really is as much work going on?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

crazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nice
Default Re: Slow Employment Civil Engineer

I'm in the same boat mate. I've been after this one company since June last year and i am still in regular contact with promising potential to get a job, but can go weeks without any news. It's a real game of chess!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 11:46 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

There is still lots of work - at least there is in BC and Alberta.

I've personally found that for some reason, engineering is a hard nut to crack unless you show up in person.

Awhile ago I was thinking of moving to Calgary and sent out dozens of CV's with no replies. Then I went on a trip to visit a friend in Victoria and decided what the hell, I check out a couple of companies while I'm in town. Had three job offers in one day and figured why bother with Calgary.

Sometimes it's just being in the right place at the right time.

Good luck.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 10:33 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK28
Hi,

I am a civil engineer working for a top main contractor in London UK and about to get a working permit.

I have had several interviews and contacting contractors for commercial/industrial construction employment. I have had positive feedback and promises of further interviews. However it is sooooo slow, where I don't here anything for weeks. Starting to think of whether there really is as much work going on?
Also something to bear in mind without being registered with the provincial body you cannot call yourself an 'engineer' in Canada; not sure if you can do so if you are registered in the UK, like using a designation like CPEng (UK) or something..

Maybe change the job title searches when looking at construction companies, Site Representative, Project Coordinator, Construction Coordinator, etc
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

I have been working for CIMA+ for a while, they are a rapidly expanding company with offices all over Canada (based in QB).

http://www.cima.ca/en/home

Some of their main competitors are:

Stantec
AECOMM
SNC Lavalin

There are obviously others but give these companies a try maybe you'll hit on something.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:24 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Google "indeed" or "wowjobs" using Civil Engineer, Project Manager for the city your looking for.

Lots of posting in Calgary and Vancouver alone.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:36 am
Just Joined

canadapr98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Hawk13,

I am new to this forum. I am almost in the same situation as UK28. I have over 8 years of experience as a Mechanical Engineer in power plant industry in the USA, and would like to move to Calgary in the near future (around June 2013). Applying for jobs on Company websites, and recruiter websites; however, no calls yet.

I have applied for APEGA P.Eng.; hopefully I will receive it soon. I am thinking of traveling to Calgary for a week to two to search for jobs in-person. Please provide some tips based on your experience. I am wondering whether I can go directly to the companies and talk to them about job opportunities. Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:17 pm
Up Your Kilt

Originally Posted by canadapr98
Hi Hawk13,

I am new to this forum. I am almost in the same situation as UK28. I have over 8 years of experience as a Mechanical Engineer in power plant industry in the USA, and would like to move to Calgary in the near future (around June 2013). Applying for jobs on Company websites, and recruiter websites; however, no calls yet.

I have applied for APEGA P.Eng.; hopefully I will receive it soon. I am thinking of traveling to Calgary for a week to two to search for jobs in-person. Please provide some tips based on your experience. I am wondering whether I can go directly to the companies and talk to them about job opportunities. Thank you in advance.
Like I mentioned earlier, Google is your friend. If Calgary is where you want to go, google the "job sites" first and make a list.

Go to the company websites and do some research on the company - make notes on the company and some of their applicable projects. Then I would phone the company and try and talk with the office manager or the the division manager that the job would fall under (I found talking to the HR people didn't get you very far). Tell them that you are interested in relocating to Calgary and shortlisted their company - drop in some knowledge about the company from your research. Then tell them that you'll be in Calgary at such and such dates and would appreciate meeting in person.

During my search, I was also contacted by a head hunter that specializes in engineering positions. I already had several offers from my trip to Van Island but he was going to set me up with some companies in Calgary - in the end Van Island trumped Calgary so I didn't persue it. If you want his contact info, PM me.

Hope it helps
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Thank you, Hawk13. I will send you a PM.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:03 am
Up Your Kilt

Originally Posted by canadapr98
Thank you, Hawk13. I will send you a PM.
I think you need to make a certain number of posts to PM - not sure what the magic number is though
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:38 am
Just Joined

Looks like it is 3 posts. Now, I got 3. I will send you a PM. Thanks again.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

snowgo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UK28
Hi,

Canadian employers are distant and slow to commit.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 7:04 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowgo
Canadian employers are distant and slow to commit...
...And eventually they stop returning your phone calls altogether and then, night after night, you end up crying into your pillow- feeling cheap and used...
Old Feb 28th 2013, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

snowgo is an unknown quantity at this point

I found myself at Calgary airport in 2007 with my wife and kids, cats and dogs and a container en-route to Van ,about to be put on the next flight back to UK. All because the employer I had been offered the job with had lied to me about submitting the documentation to the authorities. No paperwork had been sent apparently. I managed to get a 3mth temp work permit over the counter which apparently never happens. Welcome to Canada.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjones
...And eventually they stop returning your phone calls altogether and then, night after night, you end up crying into your pillow- feeling cheap and used...
Perhaps you are part of the problem, do you find yourself attracted to "Rebel Without A Cause" type employers in the misguided belief that you can change them and shape them into something you`d be comfortable introducing to your Parents?

This romantic notion may be why you end up feeling so low

Last edited by energysolutions; Feb 28th 2013 at 7:52 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.