Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Slooooooooow spousal immigration process

Slooooooooow spousal immigration process

Old Aug 2nd 2003, 5:03 pm
rippie

Unhappy Slooooooooow spousal immigration process

Can anyone tell me what is the timeframe for spousal immigration (in Canada) in Ottawa office. My spouse sponsored me last July and my file came to Ottawa this january, but haven't heard yet . Is there any other way for fast processing. My friend has got immigration under same class in 8 months in Toronto. What should I do?

I am spending $5000 every 4 months to keep my status legal as I am a student here.

Do you think moving to Toronto is a good idea?

Please rely.

Thanks in advance!

Old Aug 2nd 2003, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Hi,

Sorry to hear that it is taking you so long! I have read and been told that if your file is transferred to a local office it can take any where from 6-24 months for them to contact you with a date for an interview. You cannot do anything to speed up the process unfortunately, and I doubt moving to Toronto would make any difference, you would probably be put at the bottom of the pile.

I don't understand why it is costing you $5000 every four months to keep your status legal!? A visitor record only needs to be renewed every 6 months and costs $75 or a student visa is $275 I think.

Int.
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 12:02 pm
rippie

Originally posted by Interested
Hi,

Sorry to hear that it is taking you so long! I have read and been told that if your file is transferred to a local office it can take any where from 6-24 months for them to contact you with a date for an interview. You cannot do anything to speed up the process unfortunately, and I doubt moving to Toronto would make any difference, you would probably be put at the bottom of the pile.

I don't understand why it is costing you $5000 every four months to keep your status legal!? A visitor record only needs to be renewed every 6 months and costs $75 or a student visa is $275 I think.

Int.
Thanks for prompt and informative reply. I checked with CIC again and they are saying that they might open my file next june . I am international student and to keep my status legal I have to be a full time student which costs $5000/semester. I am thinking of going to visitor visa, but ppl. at CIC said they may not give extension to visitor visa in some cases. I don't want to taste that, in my case .

But, is there any time difference if sponsor is citizen or immigrant. I have 2 friends, whose sponsor was citizen and they got their papers in 8 months flat. Will it help if my sponsor becomes citizen now (Actually we have applied for citizenship).

I have recently renewed my lease, should I send the documents to CIC to strengthen my case? Is it possible for me or my sponsor to get a copy of CAIPS file, so we can see what they are looking for in the interview? Will MP's letter do any good?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by rippie; Aug 3rd 2003 at 12:08 pm.