British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Skype Interview tips (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/skype-interview-tips-841276/)

sazzle.pops Aug 19th 2014 7:40 am

Skype Interview tips

Hi All,

I have an interview over Skype next week and was wondering if you guys had any tips.

Also How do Canadian interviews differ from UK ones? do they also base them on competency based questions?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
S

SchnookoLoly Aug 19th 2014 1:07 pm

Re: Skype Interview tips

A few suggestions.

1) Make sure your camera is at eye level, so that you are looking straight ahead. Be careful if you are using a laptop or an ipad or whatever, as you tend to have that on your lap or on a table, which means you are looking down at it... it will feel more natural if the screen is higher. You can set it on top of some books or whatever to help.

2) Still dress well - this includes your trousers! They may only see you from the chest up, but if you are in a nice shirt but pyjama bottoms, it affects your mental state, so still go into it as if you were meeting them in person.

3) To the Canadians, you have an accent, and interviewing over Skype may make your accent 'thicker' or harder to understand. Be sure to speak clearly and annunciate. Be aware of the speed of your speech as well. If you are being asked to repeat yourself, or if they look like they aren't understanding, then try speaking a bit slower.

4) As for interview style, it's hard to say. The interviews I've had have been similar to what I did in the UK, mostly "tell me about a time when" style... but that even varies company-to-company.

5) Be aware of what's in the background behind you. :)

And then some standard stuff like make sure you aren't going to be interrupted, put your cell on silent or shut it off, unplug your home line so it doesn't interrupt you, and that sort of thing.

One tip for afterwards, if you have the emails of the people you interviewed with, send them a follow up email shortly afterwards (not immediately, maybe an hour or two afterwards) and thank them for their time and consideration, and to let you know if they have any further questions. This is a pretty standard "good manners" thing in Canada when it comes to interviews. Only if you are able to, obviously.

Good luck! :)

beckiwoo Aug 19th 2014 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11374246)

One tip for afterwards, if you have the emails of the people you interviewed with, send them a follow up email shortly afterwards (not immediately, maybe an hour or two afterwards) and thank them for their time and consideration, and to let you know if they have any further questions. This is a pretty standard "good manners" thing in Canada when it comes to interviews. Only if you are able to, obviously.

I'm guessing this is a good tip for face to face interviews as well? Would you also suggest doing this for volunteer interviews as well?

Congrats with the interview! Is this for one of the ski resorts?

SchnookoLoly Aug 19th 2014 3:11 pm

Yes, do the follow-up for all interviews. :)

sazzle.pops Aug 19th 2014 3:17 pm

Thanks for the tips, will remember these :)

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11374397)
Congrats with the interview! Is this for one of the ski resorts?

Yeah, its a marketing job in Whistler, I'm trying not to get too excited, but it would be perfect. :eek:

Aviator Aug 19th 2014 3:39 pm

Don't do it in your PJs or underwear ( or worse).

delsol79 Aug 19th 2014 5:22 pm

A few suggestions.

2) Still dress well - this includes your trousers! They may only see you from the chest up, but if you are in a nice shirt but pyjama bottoms, it affects your mental state, so still go into it as if you were meeting them in person.

I agree on this. I had a Skype interview I did while staying in a Docklands hotel in London. I just put a shirt on and didn't even tuck it in and had jeans on. During the interview the noise from the city airport got too much so I had to get up and close the window :lol:

bc_guy Aug 19th 2014 5:54 pm

Make sure that your room is well air-conditioned or ensure that there is a low-noise fan blowing on your computer during the interview. If possible, keep your hands far away from the computer where your employer can see them in case the computer overheats and crashes.

During my skype interview, my computer overheated and crashed while I responded to a really sensitive question about conflict resolution. I called my interviewer on my cell phone immediately after to let him know that my computer overheated and that I'd be back on in a few minutes. Luckily, it's a video interview, so your employer can ascertain the truth of the matter if he didn't see you turn the computer off with your hands.

Be prepared for possible internet outages and keep a phone with lots of overseas minutes handy in case the internet goes off and forces you to continue the interview by phone. After about 15-20 minutes of video interviewing, most employers would be happy to continue on the phone if there's a technical problem.

SchnookoLoly Aug 19th 2014 5:56 pm

Ah, yes, internet bandwidth! Shut off EVERYTHING ELSE in your house that uses internet - televisions, phones, other computers, etc. Just helps make sure your connection is as good as it can be if nothing else is connected at all. Better safe than sorry.

JonboyE Aug 19th 2014 6:22 pm

The more you have researched and learned about the company and position the better. Hopefully you have found out what the employer needs.

Think about your strengths (which will, by good fortune, correspond with some of their needs). Be prepared to state these and give examples of how you have used these strengths for your current or previous employer's benefit. If you can quantify these all the better (saved £100,000, increased efficiency by 15% and so on). Also have some examples of where things went wrong and how you reacted and what you did to make things right again. E.g. when a team member was not performing how did you address this and get them functioning again. How you turned a customer complaint into great customer service. You get the idea?

Also, prepare for a "what is your greatest weakness" type question. You will, of course, admit to some weaknesses but, by another stroke of good fortune, they will not be in an area the employer needs. You will have identified a work around or applied a strategy to counter the weakness. E.g. you tend to be shy and find it difficult to address groups of strangers so you enrolled in a public speaking course.

Hopefully you will not get asked hypotheticals but Canadian employers are not immune from asking dumb questions. Make sure you have a problem solving methodology so you can talk about how you would approach the hypothetical problem rather than what you would decide. Keep in mind that Canadian corporate culture is a little less confrontational and more consensus driven than the UK. Your problem solving methodology will include consideration of all the stakeholders and their interests.

The reality is that the employer already knows you have the hard skills for the job or they would not be interviewing you. This interview is to assess your soft skills. In other words, will you fit in?

Finally, when you are asked if you have any questions answering, "no, you seem to have covered everything," is incredibly weak. Hopefully you will have questions that arise out of the interview as this shows you were paying attention. At the least, have a list of ten questions prepared in advance. Eight will relate to the industry, the company and your role. Obviously, don't ask the questions by rote if they have already been covered in the interview. I suggest to have eight prepared but one or two good ones may be sufficient - you will have play this by ear. You can use these questions to show your commitment to the job is serious and long-term.

Two questions (the last on your list) may relate to pay and workplace conditions and benefits. Unless the pay scale has already been disclosed the practice is usually for the employer to tell you what the workplace conditions and benefits are and for you to tell the employer what you are expecting to be paid.

Yes, the salary thing has been discussed to death on here but it is the reality. Make sure you have done your research so you know what a fair salary for the job should be.

PS. Vacation time is often negotiable.

JonboyE Aug 19th 2014 6:36 pm

Oh, and don't forget that body language is even more important. Sit up, smile, don't close your hands or arms across you. Whilst a Marty Feldman type maniacal stare is probably inappropriate, don't look away from the camera when listening or answering.

Jingle Aug 19th 2014 7:54 pm

5) Be aware of what's in the background behind you. :)

A friend of mine did a Skype interview and went onto the company's website and grabbed their logo/images and made a bit of a collage behind their head making sure that the company logo and name were visible on the screen behind her. Worked a charm! They loved it. As you're going for a marketing job it might be something you can think about?

Good luck! J ;)

Yorkiechef Aug 19th 2014 8:01 pm

Put your slap on and comb your hair. First couple of mins they will be concentrating on what they see, perhaps some small talk and then they will want to know about you and what you bring to the organisation, and what you can do.

Good luck

SchnookoLoly Aug 19th 2014 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 11374775)
A friend of mine did a Skype interview and went onto the company's website and grabbed their logo/images and made a bit of a collage behind their head making sure that the company logo and name were visible on the screen behind her. Worked a charm! They loved it. As you're going for a marketing job it might be something you can think about?

Good luck! J ;)

Hahaha that's awesome. At least if you're going to do something like that, make it goofy enough to have a laugh over it! Well played.

nativenewyorker Aug 19th 2014 9:31 pm

My husband was having a Skype interview and the dog jumped up on his knee in the middle of it! Best to keep pets in another room if you have any!!