Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Skilled Workers, How long to emmigrate

Wikiposts

Skilled Workers, How long to emmigrate

Old Jul 15th 2005, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

RGPickles will become famous soon enoughRGPickles will become famous soon enough
Default Skilled Workers, How long to emmigrate

Hi

I am just about to have my details forward to the London for the
long application process. I am applying for permanent residence
as a skilled worker.

I would be interested to find out how long the process is taking from
London.

Thanks

Robert
Old Jul 15th 2005, 5:48 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Workers, How long to emmigrate

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291519
Old Jul 15th 2005, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

nickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by RGPickles
Hi

as a skilled worker.

London.

Thanks

Robert
hey, well we're not going that route our self's as I'm sponsoring my husband but from what I've seen on here it can take up to 2-3 years :scared: you may find you would be better going on the Canada immigration board and do a search or ask one of the experts on there. hope that helps?
Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:07 am

NewCalgarian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Robert

We emigrated tp Calgary in February. It took us about 18 months to get the visas. We had our medicals 15 months after our application - it moved pretty rapidly after that point.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:03 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

as a skilled worker.

London.

Thanks

Robert
Depends on skill and Job and need where you want to go. For example before you submit your papers contact these people in Manitoba PNP

Every province has some form of this, difference is we went via them and from submitting the papers and getting here was about 11 months and we had the visas after 8 or 9 months.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:06 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
Depends on skill and Job and need where you want to go. For example before you submit your papers contact these people in Manitoba PNP

Every province has some form of this, difference is we went via them and from submitting the papers and getting here was about 11 months and we had the visas after 8 or 9 months.
The downside is obvious though How are those mosquitos anyway?
Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:17 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Took me 2 months from application to receipt of visa. Sorry.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
How are those mosquitos anyway?
Being compulsorily fogged :scared:
Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

as a skilled worker.

London.

Thanks

Robert
Although not easy, butif you can get a job/work permit then it appears to be much faster since applications from those already in the country on work permits are fast tracked. It's what I am doing. Arrived in Calgary a couple of months after getting the job offer.

I don't know what your background is, but in general you will need experience in area for which there is a shortage of skilled Canadian applicants. Potential employers can then can approval from Human Resources Canada which in turn leads to a work permit.

It's definitely not an easy option. The Canadian job market is very incestuous. It's who you know rather than what you know that seems to matter for many of the better jobs. Apart from personal research there are Canadian Job web sites (possibly a waste of time) plus some immigration consultants offer job finding services (for a fee). You also have the problem of showing a potential employer that you are commited to Canada.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:26 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Being compulsorily fogged :scared:
Better wear a hard hat then eh! Wouldnt want one of them huge buggers expiring on top of you I have serious doubts whether the fog isnt more of a health hazard then west nile for most people...Ooops, dont want to hijack the thread...as you were!
Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:50 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Better wear a hard hat then eh! Wouldnt want one of them huge buggers expiring on top of you I have serious doubts whether the fog isnt more of a health hazard then west nile for most people...Ooops, dont want to hijack the thread...as you were!

You right it is, the fog gets you your guaranteed to get sick, chances of west nile being a problem a little more than BSE in UK a few years ago.

any dragonfly farms looking emigrate here could do a roaring trade. Your not a Skilled Dragonfly trainer are you pickles?
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:55 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Stop all this talk, your scaring us....do mossies sense fear?!

Darren

7 more sleeps in the UK!!

Originally Posted by Grah
You right it is, the fog gets you your guaranteed to get sick, chances of west nile being a problem a little more than BSE in UK a few years ago.

any dragonfly farms looking emigrate here could do a roaring trade. Your not a Skilled Dragonfly trainer are you pickles?
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:28 am
Happy in Canada.

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Stop all this talk, your scaring us....do mossies sense fear?!

Darren

7 more sleeps in the UK!!

Oh yes fresh meet they'll be more interested in you than us.

Are you still landing in winnipeg?

What time will you get here? Evening is a good time to get a personal feel for the mossies?

Where abouts will you be staying?

Last edited by Grah; Jul 15th 2005 at 10:32 am.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops, dont want to hijack the thread...as you were!
Hijack, schmijack. If I met you down the pub we wouldn't stick to the opening topic all night with no deviation, would we?

Darren, my first two bites swelled up like balloons - ankle and arm, couldn't move either. Swallowed some generic antihistamines and both were fine after a few days. Had a couple of new bites since then and just scratch and apply that ammonium "After Bite" stuff and it's no big deal. I don't sit outside after twilight though...not that brave yet. More afraid of the dragonflies, those are *big* and they dive bomb your head!!!!!
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Although not easy, butif you can get a job/work permit then it appears to be much faster since applications from those already in the country on work permits are fast tracked. It's what I am doing. Arrived in Calgary a couple of months after getting the job offer.
There is anecdotal evidence that CIC London may be doing this, but it's not clear whether other Canadian visa offices (including Buffalo) are also doing so.

There may be more information if you ask on the immigration forum.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.