Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Skilled Workers Earn a Pittance in Canada.

Skilled Workers Earn a Pittance in Canada.

Old Feb 16th 2006, 2:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Workers Earn a Pittance in Canada.

Originally Posted by JezHarper
Would all of your answers be the same if you were somewhere like Collingwood (ON), Blue Mountain (ON), Canmore (AB), Cochrane (AB)?
I can't say for sure as I'm not there. I'm not there because there's no money to be made in those places.

Blue Mountain is a, sort of, ski place though, they're all about who has the best chalet, who made the most on that chalet, who has a Cayenne Turbo to get to the chalet and who just has a Cayenne, that sort of stuff. Collingwood I've only been to for horse related events (there's nothing financially competitive about horse people, of course) but it's cottage country. Cottage owners are the local equivalent of people who have a place in Devon for the weekends, with cottages the snobbery isn't about turbocharged SUVs but turbocharged float planes.

I expect everyone's much nicer in Alberta, the oil business fosters altruism.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

JezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really nice

Originally Posted by AnyaT
I am truly curious as to why people say this so often on here. I grew up here and never experienced a real spring until I went to the UK. In the eastern half of Canada you have winter, mud, summer and fall; in the western half you have winter, summer and some odd crossover season where you try to get the harvest in before the hail kills it all. At least that's how it always seemed to me?
Hmmm, I'm starting to understand the Arrogant worms song 'Toronto sucks'

Most of the climate information about Canada mentions the four seasons, and certainly other people have experienced definate seasons. I can honestly say that I have only ever experienced winter in Canada, and would actually be happy with snow for half the year and sun for the other half What I don't want is the rainy season for 6 months and then the grey season for the other 6 months, like the UK.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 2:37 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

The weather does seem to change very fast in Southern Ontario.

The way I see the seasons are:

Summer, beginning of Winter, middle of Winter, end of Winter.

Don't get much rain
Old Feb 16th 2006, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Hmmm, I'm starting to understand the Arrogant worms song 'Toronto sucks'
Now I'm offended. I am from Halifax, a Maritimer born and raised. I'm just a paycheque exile living in Toronto for the money. Never mistake me for an Upper Canadian!!
Old Feb 16th 2006, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Me too. I know what you mean. Or I figure maybe people mean Frankie Valli and the ....
Glad I'm not the only confused soul out there. I see a separate thread has started on this very topic - my very own spin-off!
Old Feb 16th 2006, 3:59 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnyaT
Now I'm offended. I am from Halifax, a Maritimer born and raised. I'm just a paycheque exile living in Toronto for the money. Never mistake me for an Upper Canadian!!
Ok quick test, Do you know the words to 'Barrett's Privateers'!?
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I know that one,

I'm a drunken man on a Halifax pier ......

I can't do all nine verses though.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
O, the year was 1778
How I wish I was in Sherbrooke now...

I think that's enough to inflict on the other readers of this thread. Sadly, I did know all – what is it, nine? - verses at one point. They used to make us sing it while jogging around the base with our rifles when I was in the reserves.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future

If you have young family and want to enjoy a different lifestyle then you probably don't want to live in Toronto. As a city it is pretty good however it is still a city.

I live 45kms north of Toronto, work in IT and have a 30 min commute to work by car and for us

- we find it a very safe environement for kids and have no fears with our kids playing on the streets or in the parks
- sure there are money focussed people here who would be at home it he south east, but there is also much much more family oriented living
- the opportunities fo rthe family and especially the kids to get out and do outdoor acticities are much greater than certainly the south east of the UK, and the encouragement to do so is much greater here. Just look at any hockey rink or soccer field here compared to the UK today
- personally I enjoy the weather here....30C last summer for long periods, -18C last week and another 12cm snow this morning. Spring was short but the fall was several weeks long and very pretty. Personally(again) it beats the long grey periods in the UK
- All in all we have found the lifestyle here to be much more family friendly, not to mention parent friendly. However don't underestimate the culture shock of going from an affluent lifestyle to one where you may have time witht he kids but are back to watching the pennies. It isn't cheap here on a Canadian salary and establishing yourself is expensive...you may well have to remind yourself frequently why you came and the benefits yu are getting

Would all of your answers be the same if you were somewhere like Collingwood (ON), Blue Mountain (ON), Canmore (AB), Cochrane (AB)?
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

JezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really nice

Originally Posted by skigordi
If you have young family and want to enjoy a different lifestyle then you probably don't want to live in Toronto. As a city it is pretty good however it is still a city.

I live 45kms north of Toronto, work in IT and have a 30 min commute to work by car and for us

- we find it a very safe environement for kids and have no fears with our kids playing on the streets or in the parks
- sure there are money focussed people here who would be at home it he south east, but there is also much much more family oriented living
- the opportunities fo rthe family and especially the kids to get out and do outdoor acticities are much greater than certainly the south east of the UK, and the encouragement to do so is much greater here. Just look at any hockey rink or soccer field here compared to the UK today
- personally I enjoy the weather here....30C last summer for long periods, -18C last week and another 12cm snow this morning. Spring was short but the fall was several weeks long and very pretty. Personally(again) it beats the long grey periods in the UK
- All in all we have found the lifestyle here to be much more family friendly, not to mention parent friendly. However don't underestimate the culture shock of going from an affluent lifestyle to one where you may have time witht he kids but are back to watching the pennies. It isn't cheap here on a Canadian salary and establishing yourself is expensive...you may well have to remind yourself frequently why you came and the benefits yu are getting
Thank you skigordi, brilliant post, just what I wanted to hear

I don't mind struggling and having to watch the pennies if it is offset by the quality of life I am expecting Canada to offer.

I choose ignore anything anyone says that doesn't match my idealistic view of Canada, whether it is true or not
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I know that one,

I'm a drunken man on a Halifax pier ......

I can't do all nine verses though.

Eh?
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Eh?
Sorry. A sailing club variation.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:54 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Sorry. A sailing club variation.
Very good, I hadn't noticed the change from 'A broken man on a Halifax pier' until I saw this post. Of course you would know the words, you lived with a Newfie for umpteen years. Indoctrination into folk music is something that invariably follows!

Anya T. OK, you passed. You clearly are a Haligonian!

God damn them all!
I was told we'd cruise the seas for American gold
We'd fire no guns-shed no tears
Now I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier
The last of Barrett's Privateers.

AX
Old Feb 16th 2006, 7:44 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
Where I work there are quite a few immigrants, from Russia,the phillipines, India, UK, and other European Countries.

I have been amazed by how many of them have tales of woe, all of them have said that they struggled when they first came to Canada.

The main reasons seem to be that their former qualifications are not recognised...This in turn has led to many taking 1st year apprentice work at around $12 an hour, until they can challenge an exam, or in some cases, they have had to undertake apprentice training again, because they are unable to verify their hours from previous employers.

Most of these guys are mid thirties to early forties, and all have said that if they knew what they were letting themselves in for, that they would've stayed in their former countries.

Of course they have all decided to stay in Canada, as they have managed to overcome this hurdle...but it really sucks, especially when you read of people being turned down (immigration) because their qualifications are not up to the specified level.

I personally think that if you are planning to come to Canada, Go down the work permit route, Get a decent Job, and then apply for PR.....I myself did a couple of Cr*p jobs first off, but patience and hard work have paid off and I've got the break I was looking for...I would say that the Grass is definately greener on this side, but its brown at the moment.

Anyway before you Jump over here Look...Yes there are plenty of Jobs here...try applying for some and see how many responses you get....If you get a reply Contact them and be honest with them....Then you might see for yourselves, how poorly paid you may be for your skills.

Anyway Good Luck....I love it here.
My husband is a journeyman mechanic and he gets paid the same as the other journeyman mechanics in his workplace, which works out as more pounds per hour than had we stayed in England. We are financially the same as we were in England (I also worked full time)and will be better of once I get a job.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 7:54 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

Just to put things in perspective a bit - I ran a successful small business in the UK for years, had a good degree from a leading UK university, had marketing and IT skills etc etc. Sold the business last year, and to avoid digging into our savings I decided to get some temporary work.

Well, after months of skivvying in mindless data-entry-paper-shuffling crappy jobs for barely minimum-wage pay, I've discovered that my experience and qualifications don't even seem to count in my 'own' country, let alone anywhere else!

Mind you, I'm not above doing a bit of dirty work if it pays the bills - oooh, I've got no shame!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.