Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Skilled Workers Earn a Pittance in Canada.

Skilled Workers Earn a Pittance in Canada.

Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:08 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Skilled Workers Earn a Pittance in Canada.

Originally Posted by dbd33
Give your head a shake. If you, an immigrant, are not cheaper then the other guy, another immigrant, why would the employer take you on ? If you're not very much cheaper than someone of the same background as the employer, why would he take you on ?

Early in my time here other immigrants on my team came to me and said "slow down you're threatening our jobs". "**** you" I responded "I'm getting $18/hour". My proudest moment in Canada was when the boss laid the pair of them off and allowed me to work Saturdays. A steady 60 hours a week at $18 was good money in 1981.

Now I "employ" people, immigrants, I sit around and post and they do the work. Rates are higher but the idea's the same, the job has to be done as cheaply as possible and, if someone who can speak English proper will work more cheaply than a current employee I'll give him or her a go. The new person has to much cheaper though, as there's some advantage to keeping the existing employee rather than having constant churn.
My point was that i was asked how much i wanted. While i understand what you are saying, i would have a problem with having two people kicked out of a job. What happens to them, and what immage does that give to Canadians about bringing in outsiders. I ran a business for 20 years and kept good staff by making sure they had good wages. Squeezing the life out of people is no good in the end. They will just leave and set up and go against you. But each to their own oppinions. In my trade it's hard to get honest and good people. So i don't know how it is in others, but i guess its all down to money.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:18 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gezza
You are absolutely right with your observations of Canadian Employers. I myself witnessed the attitude: Do not take Brits because they know the job too well and will show us up. An very experienced English Teacher from U.K. in Vancouver was told she applied for that she: has not got the right qulifications, has to start from the bottom,. Ended up working as PE teacher.
While their English teachers did not even speak English as 1st language!
Generally they avoid Brits because they give priority to 3rd world candidates maybe building Left wing majority - someone said. The best way to get on is to say "great" to every crass jobtask they give you and avoid saying that anything could be done better another way. I made this mistake and although did well in the job untill I left ended up working with other foreigners or in complete isolation becuase Canadians would not want to work with me on joint projects. Just say you guys are clever and solution you use make a lot of sense..! including the roof guttering (which I thought was rubbish!)
Another interesting fad is that they like to make a fairly simple work complicated in order to inflate the importance of their role. The idea that for the willing things are - and should be - made easy is not that popular.
Also it helps if you say that you hate England and English culture.
I had difficulty with that one. That's why I am back. Also avoid reminiscing about life in England with other Brits in public or bring English papers to the office. All such elemnts will drive every Canadian away. If you think about it is not unreasonable. Every country has its pride. I am sure being say Greek and working in U.K. is the same, or worse.! .. Oh their beer was awful.Like that "Okanagan" lager! Dear me! ....not quite!
Spot on!!!! I had the same in NZ. While i pointed out the UKs problems and i indeed said many things about the UK were crap but not all. I found that it was OK to call my country anything but boy don't call thiers, even if you are just repeating what they say to you. But i found many want to work in the UK and don't mind taking her money. Still to find out how Kiwis and Canuks get treated in the UK, all i hear is how welcome they are here in the UK.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Do not take Brits because they know the job too well and will show us up.
Perhaps "knowing the job too well" while being straight off the boat could be a problem.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:20 pm

Perhaps "knowing the job too well" while being straight off the boat could be a problem.
What kind of business are you in if you don't mind me asking. I used to live in Toronto as a kid and been ther a few times over the years. I do like it there mind you, and i had thought about opening up a business there. But the jewellery trade is bad there as most places now. Should have been a surgeon with my hands, hindsight, if only.

Last edited by Lenmil; Jan 27th 2006 at 12:23 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenmil
What kind of business are you in if you don't mind me asking.
Computers. I also have some knowledge of construction as my brother is a bricklayer here (he was illegal for the first five or six years but is now a PR).
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:24 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Computers. I also have some knowledge of construction as my brother is a bricklayer here (he was illegal for the first five or six years but is now a PR).
If you ever need a QA Manager let me know
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Tangram
If you ever need a QA Manager let me know
For bricklaying or computing ?
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:29 pm

Good to be in at the moment. Loads of PC stuff here in the UK but too many are doing it now and there are many giving it up. My only way now is to make hand made jewellery as its different and unique. But where to open is the problem. And i am up against a public that don't realise the difference between mass produced poor quality and hand made that can be handed down in the family. Ah well such is technology. Glad things have worked out good for you. Regards.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:29 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

For bricklaying or computing ?
As you are the one in IT, it's software I was referring to db
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

As you are the one in IT, it's software I was referring to db
Bricklaying's the better business; it can't be outsourced and there's more of an ethic of respect for workmanship. Are you still in the running for that job in London, ON ?
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:41 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Bricklaying's the better business; it can't be outsourced and there's more of an ethic of respect for workmanship. Are you still in the running for that job in London, ON ?
No, i did update the thread. They went with the guy from Quebec in the end so it was very disappointing to get so close and yet so far !
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

No, i did update the thread. They went with the guy from Quebec in the end so it was very disappointing to get so close and yet so far !
Oh, that's a shame. Still, there can't be many employers in London, if you could get into a firm in the GTA you'd have more options if it later went wrong. Can you look at contracts or do you need an actual job for the immigration people ?
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:52 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Oh, that's a shame. Still, there can't be many employers in London, if you could get into a firm in the GTA you'd have more options if it later went wrong. Can you look at contracts or do you need an actual job for the immigration people ?
HRSDC job ! Hey, you can't blame a guy for 'networking' ...
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Do not take Brits because they know the job too well and will show us up.

It due more to the attitude of superiority expressed by many Brits. Many are caracatures of Mrs Bucket even after being here a long time.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

HRSDC job ! Hey, you can't blame a guy for 'networking' ...
Not at all. We have a guy here I "hired" from an internet discussion group (hired in quotes as legally he's a subcontractor but he's been with us for about four years). That was a strange piece of malarky, we needed him for a specific project. He moved here and worked on it for a year while still being legally resident in Saudi then, when finally he was legally here, work need doing back there so he was then physically in Saudi while legally resident here. Since it was winter his wife was less than thrilled at being dumped in Ontario with two small children while he was in the sun.

Anyway, I don't need a QA manager but, if you want to send a resume to [email protected] I'll pass it around, maybe one of the exploitative bastards I know will see a way to make a buck from placing you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.