Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IT Skilled workers

IT Skilled workers

Old Feb 16th 2008, 12:24 am
  #46  
Guinness is good for you.
Thread Starter
 
Airseir's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 694
Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Originally Posted by xxalxx View Post
Hi everyone,

This thread caught my eye, so just thought I may tack a wee question onto it as well

How is the job situation over there for support type peoples? I have 8 years 1st / 2nd line support experience, as well as experience in my current role as a hardware technician - all of these roles in a large UK university.

I read the wiki bits on contacting employers directly to find out information, but does anyone have any tips on how to go about that ? Totaly different than our UK way of doing things, and a bit daunting to be honest !

Al
Find a company and send a resume - dont worry if they have any adverts out there. We keep adverts going to collect resumes - we keep a hot list so if any-one leaves we can call around the hotlist. We often interview candidates - explaining our hotlist approach and oiften keep in touch in between time.

May not be the same with all companies - but I understand that applying without seeing adverts is the usual way - certainly here in Kamloops.
Airseir is offline  
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:29 pm
  #47  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Liverpool - UK
Posts: 31
xxalxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Originally Posted by Airseir View Post
Find a company and send a resume - dont worry if they have any adverts out there. We keep adverts going to collect resumes - we keep a hot list so if any-one leaves we can call around the hotlist. We often interview candidates - explaining our hotlist approach and oiften keep in touch in between time.

May not be the same with all companies - but I understand that applying without seeing adverts is the usual way - certainly here in Kamloops.
Thanks matey, am now reading through the various guides to convert my "very english cv" into a "resume" . Thankfully the world of IT uses mainly the same terms everywhere .

Al
xxalxx is offline  
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:10 pm
  #48  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Liverpool - UK
Posts: 31
xxalxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Another question ...


Under the page from Alberta's website - Alberta's official immigration website is the part about skilled worker PNP applications :

NOC Skill Level B
Occupations usually require two to three years of post secondary education at a community college, institute of technology or a CEGEP.

Examples of eligible occupations:

Aircraft instrument and avionics mechanics
Architectural technicians and technologists
Computer and information systems technicians
Construction estimators
Engineering and industrial technicians/technologists
Graphic arts technicians
Health, medical and veterinary technicians/technologists
Land survey and mapping technicians/technologists
Mining technologists
Now would that mean, as a university educated and trained IT support type person, I could apply under Alberta's PNP program ?

Al ( getting more confused everytime I look further into it ! )
xxalxx is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:20 pm
  #49  
Guinness is good for you.
Thread Starter
 
Airseir's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 694
Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Originally Posted by xxalxx View Post
Another question ...


Under the page from Alberta's website - Alberta's official immigration website is the part about skilled worker PNP applications :



Now would that mean, as a university educated and trained IT support type person, I could apply under Alberta's PNP program ?

Al ( getting more confused everytime I look further into it ! )
Currently people like me have to remember beggers cant be choosers.

If I could find some-one with 10 years experience in the field and no formal qualifications references will be just fine. I can get people with qualifications no experience - I cant find people with experience - forget qualifications.

The scatter gun approach works just fine here. Some people moan but are too choosy and will reject you. Smaller cities are having more problems attracting than larger cities so SHOULD be less choosy.

I had a meeting with the Interior Science Council yesterday with several other delegates - I was amazed to hear that some thought it was an urban myth that there were skilled workers driving taxi's and flipping burgers because of a lack of qualifications or qualification mapping.

There is a lot to do for people like me to make officials over here realize that there are issues with the system, but also for immigrants to learn how it is done over here and where there is a higher chance of success.

If you want to attach a copy of your resume - I would love to provide some advise - or pass it around the IT community here for comments.
Airseir is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:55 pm
  #50  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Liverpool - UK
Posts: 31
xxalxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Thanks very much Airseir

Been busy with work life at the mo, so sorry about the delayed reply. I will try and send a copy along when I get home tonight

Al
xxalxx is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:10 pm
  #51  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4
BenM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Yeah, this has been an interesting conversation to read. Emmigrating feels like a long slow slog at the moment. I'm trying to selectively target my resumes at the moment. There's one company fairly interested but I want to line up 3-4 interviews before I shell out the cash to fly over. I just wish things moved a little quicker!
BenM is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 1:24 am
  #52  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 6
RanSiD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Hey all,

Just found this one and I am glad to say there is a lot of support from this thread.

My partner and I are looking to emigrate and I am wondering about the IT Support market. I am a Microsoft Support Specialist (Senior Support Analyst), from a 2nd and 3rd level support background (inc. Small and large projects) and have been working for over 10 years in the industry. But I also have experience with Web Development (Self Taught) in both LAMP (PHP/mySQL) and Adobe Coldfusion.

From the majority of the thread I see that there is more demand on experience than the actual qualifications, which is good.


I have sent you a PM with links to my UK CV, are you able to let me know how my skills would fit in, in Canada and what types of jobs I would need to apply for.

Neither of us is settled on an area as of yet and the final choice will be down to where I/we get work.

Thanks

Last edited by RanSiD; Feb 22nd 2008 at 1:27 am.
RanSiD is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:45 am
  #53  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Coffeepot's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: back in Cambs
Posts: 7,157
Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Originally Posted by RanSiD View Post
Hey all,

Just found this one and I am glad to say there is a lot of support from this thread.

My partner and I are looking to emigrate and I am wondering about the IT Support market. I am a Microsoft Support Specialist (Senior Support Analyst), from a 2nd and 3rd level support background (inc. Small and large projects) and have been working for over 10 years in the industry. But I also have experience with Web Development (Self Taught) in both LAMP (PHP/mySQL) and Adobe Coldfusion.

From the majority of the thread I see that there is more demand on experience than the actual qualifications, which is good.


I have sent you a PM with links to my UK CV, are you able to let me know how my skills would fit in, in Canada and what types of jobs I would need to apply for.

Neither of us is settled on an area as of yet and the final choice will be down to where I/we get work.

Thanks
Hi RanSiD
as well as here for support look on the WIKI pages and see if you fall under any of the programs on there, there is also a section on IT skills and some are lucky enough to be LMO exempt there is a list on there, good luck with it all
Coffeepot is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:17 am
  #54  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 82
rain426 will become famous soon enoughrain426 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

I have actually given up looking for work in IT now. I applied to so many different companies, but the thing is, although I have been in IT Support for ten years it's not actually something I want to do.

My wife and I have submitted our PR application already, and I am going to use the time between now and the time our application is updated to go back to college and study furniture making, with a view to being self-employed in the future.

I have been stuck in front of a computer screen too long, and I don't want my time in Canada 'tainted' by the fact I am doing the same old grind, just in a different country.
rain426 is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:22 am
  #55  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Liverpool - UK
Posts: 31
xxalxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Originally Posted by rain426 View Post
I have actually given up looking for work in IT now. I applied to so many different companies, but the thing is, although I have been in IT Support for ten years it's not actually something I want to do.

My wife and I have submitted our PR application already, and I am going to use the time between now and the time our application is updated to go back to college and study furniture making, with a view to being self-employed in the future.

I have been stuck in front of a computer screen too long, and I don't want my time in Canada 'tainted' by the fact I am doing the same old grind, just in a different country.
I know the feeling ... but sometimes its better the devil you know .......
xxalxx is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:38 am
  #56  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: In a dream!
Posts: 219
welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Originally Posted by rain426 View Post
I have actually given up looking for work in IT now. I applied to so many different companies, but the thing is, although I have been in IT Support for ten years it's not actually something I want to do.

My wife and I have submitted our PR application already, and I am going to use the time between now and the time our application is updated to go back to college and study furniture making, with a view to being self-employed in the future.

I have been stuck in front of a computer screen too long, and I don't want my time in Canada 'tainted' by the fact I am doing the same old grind, just in a different country.
I'm in IT too, but as with any career, when considering a move, for me at least, it is important that I have a job secured up front before we get off that plane. This is what is giving me the jitters at the moment. Can it be achieved?

As for your situation in IT and you perhaps having to continue with it even if it is something you no longer wish to do...I have to agree with xxalxx, you're better off finding work that you are familiar with from the start to get you quickly up and running. Then, once you're settled in, you can look at other career aspirations...unless of course you don't need the income at the start and can afford to bide your time.
welshmountie is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:56 am
  #57  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Coffeepot's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: back in Cambs
Posts: 7,157
Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Originally Posted by welshmountie View Post
I'm in IT too, but as with any career, when considering a move, for me at least, it is important that I have a job secured up front before we get off that plane. This is what is giving me the jitters at the moment. Can it be achieved?

As for your situation in IT and you perhaps having to continue with it even if it is something you no longer wish to do...I have to agree with xxalxx, you're better off finding work that you are familiar with from the start to get you quickly up and running. Then, once you're settled in, you can look at other career aspirations...unless of course you don't need the income at the start and can afford to bide your time.
I think you can secure an IT job before you go, may be lower down the ladder and pay not so good, but if it gets you there and you can afford to live wait until you have PR then you can do and go wherever you want,

I take my hat of to rain426 if you can wait that long then go for it, You work for such a big part of your life it would be nice to do something you enjoy,

i am very impatient and couldn't imagine waiting 5 years plus so sorry hubby get behind that comp desk and work good luck what ever you choose.
Coffeepot is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 1:05 pm
  #58  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 82
rain426 will become famous soon enoughrain426 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Originally Posted by welshmountie View Post
As for your situation in IT and you perhaps having to continue with it even if it is something you no longer wish to do...I have to agree with xxalxx, you're better off finding work that you are familiar with from the start to get you quickly up and running. Then, once you're settled in, you can look at other career aspirations...unless of course you don't need the income at the start and can afford to bide your time.
I agree that finding familiar work is obviously the ideal choice when first moving over. However I am fortunate that we will not have to panic to look for work when first moving over.

IT is a career I took for the money. I am quite a creative imaginative person, so it was basically a terrible decision to go into IT, and a decision I regret every day.

When I left school I was straight into an apprencticeship for a company called International Automotive Design. (They are the company that designed the Volvo 440 and old-shape Mazda MX-5, among others), where I was a modelmaker. This involved making scale and full-size mock-ups of complete cars (including interior and all panels) from a resin-based board.

So if I do go into furniture making, which is the plan at the moment, at least I do have some background in producing things.

Basically I don't really want a career. I am not driven that way. As long as I have enough money to keep a roof over my head and food in my mouth, I will be happy.

I work to live, not live to work.

(sorry for the slight thread hijack)
rain426 is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:25 pm
  #59  
Loving it here!
 
ClareBC's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,198
ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Originally Posted by Airseir View Post
There are several IT based companies here in Kamloops that are really struggling to fill IT Skills posts. .
Got any links to share on those jobs?

Thanks
ClareBC is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:36 pm
  #60  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Cupar, Scotland
Posts: 183
Dreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really nice
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Forgive my ignorance in the computer talk here! My Husband is a Senior Computer Engineer otherwise known as Field Service Engineer (mainly hardware) with over 20 years experience. Is his line of work in demand or is everyone after the software side of pc's out there just like every other country we're looking into?!
Dreamer is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.