Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IT Skilled workers

IT Skilled workers

Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

compchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant future
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Originally Posted by Ken80
I work for CSC and I've asked the Canada HR ppl about intra-company transfers and it's not very positive. They require me to apply 'externally' there and retire from my job here..
Hi Ken, I worked for CSC in the UK and had the same problem. I applied for the exact same position as I was working in in the UK, even the same account. I went to Montreal and met the manager but never heard anything at all. I ended up leaving the company and moving to Canada. Now I work for a big cell phone company (the one from Finland) in the same building as CSC Canada, just a couple of floors below. Couldn't be any happier!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:54 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
it will come, hasn't Debbie Travis hit the screens there yet then
Yes it has and people think they just have to go to Canadian Tire-some and buy her stuff and voila I have interior designer look!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Yes it has and people think they just have to go to Canadian Tire-some and buy her stuff and voila I have interior designer look!
I know what you mean, So hows the sweat shop going
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light

Well back onto the subject of IT the company I work for here in Fredericton NB are actively recruiting IT folk at the minute, everything from developers, QA analysts, Business Analysts, software support people and a few other roles. If anyone wants any further info feel free to PM me.

A quick summary of how I got here, I applied for the job here at the end of Dec (thanks to Dave+Jules for the link ), had 3 phone interviews in January, got offered job at end of January and I started at the end of March My job category fell under the IT special workers category so I didn't need an LMO and I got my TWP at POE.

Sinead
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:07 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
I know what you mean, So hows the sweat shop going
Not bad, We can claim 50% the initial set up costs back off my tax as I am a 50% partner. Also her first set of shows Last Nov /Dec she sold nearly $1000 worth (show rental $400ish) this year is going to be web presence then more marketing in maritimes and New England. Hopefully next year I'll retire and be kept in the custom I deserve
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:08 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by sinurt

I applied for the job here at the end of Dec (thanks to Dave+Jules for the link ), had 3 phone interviews in January, got offered job at end of January and I started at the end of March My job category fell under the IT special workers category so I didn't need an LMO and I got my TWP at POE.

Sinead
You are more than Welcome Sinead.

PS PDQ on the TWP at POE fancy not needing an LMO
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Not bad, We can claim 50% the initial set up costs back off my tax as I am a 50% partner. Also her first set of shows Last Nov /Dec she sold nearly $1000 worth (show rental $400ish) this year is going to be web presence then more marketing in maritimes and New England. Hopefully next year I'll retire and be kept in the custom I deserve
That sounds a very busy time for Jules and you, wow she must have a manic day to produce so much gear, thats good going on the web, some frinds of mine started a shop and did ebay with all sorts of hippy type stuff now has 2 other shops and some big stores sell some of her stuff good luck to her and you off course
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Emeka_85 is an unknown quantity at this point

How is the field in Vancouver for Desktop/Helpdesk Support at the moment? I am in my final two months of university in England and I am going to gain my A+ here. The reason I want to get something *hopefully* quickly (i.e. within a month)

I read on the occupations under pressure that 2281 (Network Technicians etc) is one of them for British Columbia. So I am going to take my Network+ as well to try and get a network based job after getting a bit of experience. As well as this I will complete my MCSA (I'll once I have my A+ and N+ I will only need to take 3 more exams, and one of them I will take before leaving the UK in November, so I will only have 2 to take in Canada) which will hopefully help me find a Systems Administrator job, or something else based in Networking.

Good plan? ??

Last edited by Emeka_85; Apr 10th 2008 at 10:51 am.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

alexb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInCan
Hi

I am an IT professional and have been through the skilled worker route to get into Canada. I'm now running my own IT business in Calgary.

If any of you IT guys want to get in touch I might be able to give you some pointers etc. plus we are always on the look out for good people.......

and by the way, its worth the wait!
Hi BritInCan, my wife and I almost have our visas and are selling our house so nearly ready to leave. We're also working out how affordable mortgages etc. are going to be given the current economic climate. Now comes the question you know I'm going to ask... what are salaries like for IT pros? and are jobs plentiful? (we've been looking at/comparing Calgary, Kamloops, and Toronto)

I'm a senior Java developer with 14 years experience (engineering degree rather than IT). I have been finding it very difficult getting any useful info of this type as it seems that Canadians tend not to advertise jobs!!

Any advice/info you can offer would be very welcome
Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:07 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by alexb
Hi BritInCan, my wife and I almost have our visas and are selling our house so nearly ready to leave. We're also working out how affordable mortgages etc. are going to be given the current economic climate. Now comes the question you know I'm going to ask... what are salaries like for IT pros? and are jobs plentiful? (we've been looking at/comparing Calgary, Kamloops, and Toronto)

I'm a senior Java developer with 14 years experience (engineering degree rather than IT). I have been finding it very difficult getting any useful info of this type as it seems that Canadians tend not to advertise jobs!!

Any advice/info you can offer would be very welcome
try this link to the Jobbank I have searched Ontario with Java as a key word. If you want to search further then use this link www.jobbank.gc.ca and set your own criteria.

BC Jobs website may have some plus it has a tab with agencies information. www.bcjobs.ca/

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

try this link to the Jobbank I have searched Ontario with Java as a key word. If you want to search further then use this link www.jobbank.gc.ca and set your own criteria.

BC Jobs website may have some plus it has a tab with agencies information. www.bcjobs.ca/

Hope that helps.
Thanks! this site has a lot more ads than most I've looked at and unusually they have some guide salaries.

Thanks for your help
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sinurt
Well back onto the subject of IT the company I work for here in Fredericton NB are actively recruiting IT folk at the minute, everything from developers, QA analysts, Business Analysts, software support people and a few other roles. If anyone wants any further info feel free to PM me.

A quick summary of how I got here, I applied for the job here at the end of Dec (thanks to Dave+Jules for the link ), had 3 phone interviews in January, got offered job at end of January and I started at the end of March My job category fell under the IT special workers category so I didn't need an LMO and I got my TWP at POE.

Sinead
Hi Sinead,

just curious how the salaries in New Brunswick compare to elsewhere. We've not decided on where to live yet, and noticed that property in NB is very much less than elsewhere. I've seen quotes around $90k p.a. in places such as Vancouver and Toronto that would probably be insufficient to support my family and mortgage etc. without a hefty deposit.

Any idea what a senior java developer (14 years experience) might be able to command salary wise in NB? I've looked on a few job sites and found very few posts, none showing salaries.

Thanks,

Alex.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:46 pm
Happy in NB

Hi Sinead,

just curious how the salaries in New Brunswick compare to elsewhere. We've not decided on where to live yet, and noticed that property in NB is very much less than elsewhere. I've seen quotes around $90k p.a. in places such as Vancouver and Toronto that would probably be insufficient to support my family and mortgage etc. without a hefty deposit.

Any idea what a senior java developer (14 years experience) might be able to command salary wise in NB? I've looked on a few job sites and found very few posts, none showing salaries.

Thanks,

Alex.
Hi Alex,

I have just PM'd you with my email address and if you want I can get someone to look over your resume and 'price you up' so to speak.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Hi Alex,

I have just PM'd you with my email address and if you want I can get someone to look over your resume and 'price you up' so to speak.
Thanks, I will - now that this is my third post and I can actually access your PM !! (Slightly unfortunate site restriction)
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:56 pm
Happy in NB

Thanks, I will - now that this is my third post and I can actually access your PM !! (Slightly unfortunate site restriction)
Weird, I did not know they had that restriction....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.