Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IT Skilled workers

IT Skilled workers

Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
PRINCE2 awareness is growing, Boston and Toronto Universities are now exam centres (I also think that Ottawa has one too). I believe than in the next 2 years your will see a brising demand for PRINCE2 skills. so if you are emigrating as a PM, get this certifications in the UK and join the PMI and sit their PMP certification (which is seen as a must have here in Canada).
Cheers Dave. I am PRINCE2 Practiotioner and also have ITIL & ORACLE skills and loads of other IT related stuff I won't bore you with but it's good to know that they are on the up and will be a requirement for these. Will check out the PMI link you posted so thank you.

Many Thanks Dave Mc
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 7:58 pm

ville303 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone

To Anyone out there Looking to Emigrate on Perm Res Visa:

Server Systems Administrator & Programmer Analyst
Linux & FreeBSD - Server Admin skills in XML, MySQL, Postgres & PHP

Great Company!...Lots of Prospects!...Great Health Package. Kamloops BC

Please PM me for details.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

ks65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann101
Hi Everyone

To Anyone out there Looking to Emigrate on Perm Res Visa:

Server Systems Administrator & Programmer Analyst
Linux & FreeBSD - Server Admin skills in XML, MySQL, Postgres & PHP

Great Company!...Lots of Prospects!...Great Health Package. Kamloops BC

Please PM me for details.
I know this is a long running thread, but just wondering how the IT market is in Halifax. We are moving there in July. I am an IT project manager (15yrs + experience, mostly in software development but with some production support, release and infrastructure experience), OH is mainframe developer with recent C# ASP.net experience. I would be interested in hearing peoples experiences in getting employment in the Halifax IT sector without having years of Canadian experience on the resume.

Many thanks K
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 11:05 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ks65
I know this is a long running thread, but just wondering how the IT market is in Halifax. We are moving there in July. I am an IT project manager (15yrs + experience, mostly in software development but with some production support, release and infrastructure experience), OH is mainframe developer with recent C# ASP.net experience. I would be interested in hearing peoples experiences in getting employment in the Halifax IT sector without having years of Canadian experience on the resume.

Many thanks K
Send me your resume and if you want I will offer some Canadianisation advice and then when you are happy I will pass it on to the right people in our Halifax office (www.xwave.com)
Old Apr 4th 2008, 6:28 am
Just Joined

ks65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Dave,

I have PM'd you

regards

Karen
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:37 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

North America IT Market Salary and Job Survey.

I know this is more orientated to the USA market than Canada, and generally the salaries are higher than Canada. But it gives an indication.

One good point is to look at the certifications because these will be the same as those sort by Canadian employers.

In North America they place more emphasis on certification than in the UK, so consider as part of your preparation for emigration, do one while you have that 2-3 year wait. Then when you gain the certification, write a letter to the High Commission with details so they have to update your file who knows it just might tip the balance
Old Apr 4th 2008, 12:34 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

North America IT Market Salary and Job Survey.

I know this is more orientated to the USA market than Canada, and generally the salaries are higher than Canada. But it gives an indication.
Thanks for that - interesting, especially since System Architect (what I do) earns more than CIO/CTO $100K
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:03 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by G77
Thanks for that - interesting, especially since System Architect (what I do) earns more than CIO/CTO $100K
Remember the US salaries are more inflated than Canada, although I would expect their current economic downturn to start to counter that. Job mobility in the USA will grind to a halt.

Where are you looking to land in Canada?
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:11 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you looking to land in Canada?
Ontario - been offered an intra company transfer, will be moving soon as I get it confirmed and sell the house...
Old Apr 4th 2008, 5:06 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by G77
Ontario - been offered an intra company transfer, will be moving soon as I get it confirmed and sell the house...
So no worries then, enjoy your new life
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:08 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

So no worries then, enjoy your new life
Hopefully not, thanks
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:13 am
Just Joined

ultimajk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, this is only my second post on the site so be gentle, my first was just to say hello. I may be taking this of topic a little, if so apologies.

I work for a large out sourcing company (EDS) in the uk and am trying to get a transfer to Canada. The contract i work on is one of the largest W2k3 domains in Europe, my role is a systems admin senior with approx 15 yrs experience.

Has anyone on here had any luck transferring with them? If so what where the time scales?

Cheers

John
Old Apr 8th 2008, 3:55 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ultimajk
Hello everyone, this is only my second post on the site so be gentle, my first was just to say hello. I may be taking this of topic a little, if so apologies.

I work for a large out sourcing company (EDS) in the uk and am trying to get a transfer to Canada. The contract i work on is one of the largest W2k3 domains in Europe, my role is a systems admin senior with approx 15 yrs experience.

Has anyone on here had any luck transferring with them? If so what where the time scales?

Cheers

John
I work for a competitor of EDS and I'm currently arranging an intra company transfer - time-scales can be as quick as you want as the work permit can be obtained before you go (doesn't take too long) or at point of entry.

If you search EDS on here, someone previously tried to get a transfer with EDS and didn't succeed. I guess it depends on your area though, EDS is a big company and could vary from division to division at a guess. I personally know someone who went from the UK to EDS Australia and they sorted it all out for her, so it's certainly possible.

My advice from my own experience is don't approach people in the UK about it, they will dismiss it without investigating it for you. Find the persons responsible for your area of work within Canada/Americas and approach them direct, if they're interested, you can then tell your bosses back in the UK what you intend to do....

Good luck!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
I work for a competitor of EDS and I'm currently arranging an intra company transfer - time-scales can be as quick as you want as the work permit can be obtained before you go (doesn't take too long) or at point of entry.

If you search EDS on here, someone previously tried to get a transfer with EDS and didn't succeed. I guess it depends on your area though, EDS is a big company and could vary from division to division at a guess. I personally know someone who went from the UK to EDS Australia and they sorted it all out for her, so it's certainly possible.

My advice from my own experience is don't approach people in the UK about it, they will dismiss it without investigating it for you. Find the persons responsible for your area of work within Canada/Americas and approach them direct, if they're interested, you can then tell your bosses back in the UK what you intend to do....

Good luck!
OH used to work for EDS in Hook
Old Apr 8th 2008, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by G77

Good luck!
I work for a competitor of EDS

Please don't say you work / worked on JPA.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.