Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IT Skilled workers

IT Skilled workers

Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:00 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of
Default IT Skilled workers

Are there many IT people looking to come over?

if so what areas are you looking at?

There are several IT based companies here in Kamloops that are really struggling to fill IT Skills posts. We are not looking fr fresh graduates - The local University provides lots of them, but the 10-15 year working in the field skills are in great shortage. Our company has had a 10-15 year seasoned senior programmer post available for nearly a year, we are also looking for an experienced networking person. When I talk to Directors of other companies I hear the same thing - both Windows / ASP.Net and Linux / PHP skills.

We will be working on raising the profile of this City because either you guys aint coming over this way or you are not finding our city.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Skilled workers

I would guess most IT people go for the big cities, because that's where most of the jobs are; whereas there seem to be plenty of companies in the smaller cities and towns looking for people who know what they're doing so finding jobs there may be easier.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:45 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarkG
I would guess most IT people go for the big cities, because that's where most of the jobs are; whereas there seem to be plenty of companies in the smaller cities and towns looking for people who know what they're doing so finding jobs there may be easier.
I think that that is the popular mis-conception. There is high competition for jobs in the big cities and high chance of not getting an IT job where as in the small cities skilled workers can take there pick and have different companies fight for them.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:30 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking as an IT person who has 8 years experience in a wide range of areas (most of which are as useful as tits on a man) I find that the skill sets a lot of the senior posts want are clearly designed by someone who likes to cover every letter in the alphabet. I'd say this is one of the main reasons jobs like this stay unfilled for so long. Not location.

When a job requires the candidate to be not only skilled in but also an unparallelled master in every programming language from A+ to ZZT-oop then I'd say it's time to revisit the description. Or at least get realistic about the pay grade.

Besides, working as an applications programmer/developer over here is akin to being Chicken #1258 in a battery farm.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Airseir

There are several IT based companies here in Kamloops that are really struggling to fill IT Skills posts. We are not looking fr fresh graduates - The local University provides lots of them, but the 10-15 year working in the field skills are in great shortage. Our company has had a 10-15 year seasoned senior programmer post available for nearly a year, we are also looking for an experienced networking person. When I talk to Directors of other companies I hear the same thing - both Windows / ASP.Net and Linux / PHP skills.

We will be working on raising the profile of this City because either you guys aint coming over this way or you are not finding our city.
Could it be the money ?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice
Lightbulb Re: IT Skilled workers

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Could it be the money ?
I've been to Kamloops and would probably be tempted but it is too far from the UK for my wife. It's going to be one of the small cities in the east coast of Canada for us I'm afraid. I just hope that IT companies there are having the same difficulties as you. If so my long experience and skills should be well suited.

Perhaps your company should advertise on www.jobserve.com. Although this is the UK link, from there, if a UK based IT guy wants to seek a job elsewhere in the world such as Canada, he need just check the North American tick box and it links its search to the NA affiliated site. Workopolis, Monster and in particular Monster.ca are not that well known here yet.

A few more things that are probably major factors apart from these job visibility issues are indeed, "the money", seemingly longer hours and very minimal paid annual leave. For prospective UK immigrants I would think the latter is a big turn off, especially bearing in mind many are leaving close family for their new lives. They will feel the need to use their leave to go back to visit aging parents, yet would still like some decent time left over to discover Canada as well. Two or three weeks total just does not allow both needs to happen. Perhaps this is the key incentive rather than the money if you are to lure more UK IT staff with the skills and experience that are in demand. Well it would be for me anyway.

So are there any leading edge IT companies in Fredericton, New Brunswick that can entice me?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshmountie
I've been to Kamloops and would probably be tempted but it is too far from the UK for my wife. It's going to be one of the small cities in the east coast of Canada for us I'm afraid. I just hope that IT companies there are having the same difficulties as you. If so my long experience and skills should be well suited.

Perhaps your company should advertise on www.jobserve.com. Although this is the UK link, from there, if a UK based IT guy wants to seek a job elsewhere in the world such as Canada, he need just check the North American tick box and it links its search to the NA affiliated site. Workopolis, Monster and in particular Monster.ca are not that well known here yet.

A few more things that are probably major factors apart from these job visibility issues are indeed, "the money", seemingly longer hours and very minimal paid annual leave. For prospective UK immigrants I would think the latter is a big turn off, especially bearing in mind many are leaving close family for their new lives. They will feel the need to use their leave to go back to visit aging parents, yet would still like some decent time left over to discover Canada as well. Two or three weeks total just does not allow both needs to happen. Perhaps this is the key incentive rather than the money if you are to lure more UK IT staff with the skills and experience that are in demand. Well it would be for me anyway.

So are there any leading edge IT companies in Fredericton, New Brunswick that can entice me?
Money and flexi time might help as well as help with initial costs ? if you want the right people you have to have something to tempt them.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So are there any leading edge IT companies in Fredericton, New Brunswick that can entice me? [/QUOTE]
snap thats where we are heading east side good luck
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Natalieb207 has a brilliant futureNatalieb207 has a brilliant futureNatalieb207 has a brilliant futureNatalieb207 has a brilliant futureNatalieb207 has a brilliant futureNatalieb207 has a brilliant future
Smile Re: IT Skilled workers

We are looking to come over to BC. I am only 8 months into the long wait. Looking on the bright side, we are coming to Kimberley in March for 2 week snowboarding and exploring BC. (hope to miss flight back to UK

I have worked in IT for over 15 years. What IT jobs are there in Kamloops?
We would come tomorrow if we could get a jobs out there.

Whats the best websites to look on. I have registered on the Canadian Job bank?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:45 am
Just Joined

DarrenNB is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm an IT Business Analyst in the UK and will be moving to Calgary either late this year or early next. It's refreshing to hear that there are companies out there that are willing to hire international applicants as I have lost count of the number of applications I have sent off to employers in Calgary.

Shameless begging I know...but if there are any IT workers who would be willing to spend some time on the phone with me (or over a coffee when I come over for a reccee in early March) I would really appreciate the opportunity to start building a network.

Thanks in advance.

Darren
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice
Lightbulb Re: IT Skilled workers

Originally Posted by DarrenNB
Shameless begging I know...but if there are any IT workers who would be willing to spend some time on the phone with me (or over a coffee when I come over for a reccee in early March) I would really appreciate the opportunity to start building a network.
Hey nothing shameful about being an opportunist or offering needed services.

Perhaps there is an opportunity here for opening up a new sub-forum for advertising skills and requirements from both the employee and employer perspectives?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Sophie Dutch is an unknown quantity at this point

Kamloops is on my list, so if you have names of it companies who are in need of it-profesionals, that would be very helpful. :-)
My husband will be 30 this year and has 9 years of it experience (most recent with c#.NET). We expect to move to Canada in September-November.

We first were looking for the Vancouver area, but to be honest I'd like to live in a smaller place...

Last edited by Sophie Dutch; Feb 14th 2008 at 12:27 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

Actually my one of my two best mates in Canada is trying to convince me to come to Kamloops....

Adn I am in IT. What kind of positions are you looking at hiring? I'm not a programmer (though i'm well familiar with them and programming), but tend to drift into workflow management and the like - adjacant but not programming itself. Services i'm also quite good at - hope to have mcse's complete by the time i come over. Have masters degree, will travel ;-)
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

I know a company in big city looking for a junior to assist a senior.

Qualifications required:

ASP, PHP, Linux, Apache, Windows 2000 server, perl, java, javascript, ajax, html, dhtml, xhtml, css, flash, action script, mysql, photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, fireworks, image ready, and so on.

And you have to be an expert in all of above as well as a kick @ss designer.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

And out of curiosity, aside from knowing at least as much as the junior, what doe sthe senior have to know?

Is it me or are some of these ads getting a little heavy handed on the skills you're expected to pick up?

I know i read one, which expected you to speak three languages, have finished your MSc and had several years real world experience by 21....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.