Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Six years and done

Six years and done

Old Aug 31st 2017, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six years and done

Originally Posted by Shard
Seems to be quite a nice area though, each lane back from that avenue backs onto the lake...
It just depends what side of the road you're on. I live on the not so posh side which can be noisy because of the QEW.

When we buy we will need to be careful of that as some houses can literally see the cars drive over the bridge... if we're lucky we will buy on the beach side but there seems to be an average of an extra $200,000 to be overlooking the lake...don't know why?
Old Aug 31st 2017, 3:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

What do people think about St. John's or Halifax?
Old Aug 31st 2017, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I like Halifax. Don't know St John's... Are you seriously starting to look at your options?
Old Aug 31st 2017, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
It just depends what side of the road you're on. I live on the not so posh side which can be noisy because of the QEW.

When we buy we will need to be careful of that as some houses can literally see the cars drive over the bridge... if we're lucky we will buy on the beach side but there seems to be an average of an extra $200,000 to be overlooking the lake...don't know why?
https://goo.gl/maps/BV5A25dttCK2 this was always a charming view before they took down the bridge in Cornwall, Ontario

https://goo.gl/maps/Q8NL4uD9fe92 another lovely view from another part of the province
Old Aug 31st 2017, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
https://goo.gl/maps/BV5A25dttCK2 this was always a charming view before they took down the bridge in Cornwall, Ontario

https://goo.gl/maps/Q8NL4uD9fe92 another lovely view from another part of the province
That could be parts of Hamilton Beach...

The lake side though is lovely...
Old Aug 31st 2017, 3:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Good views always command a premium. I’m pretty sure the man over the partition here spent a million three or thereabouts to be able to see the water. All that money and a commitment to commute to Guelph. I don’t know that that’s a life.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Good views always command a premium. I’m pretty sure the man over the partition here spent a million three or thereabouts to be able to see the water. All that money and a commitment to commute to Guelph. I don’t know that that’s a life.
Totally agree. If we can't afford it we're not going to stretch ourselves silly to get it...
Old Aug 31st 2017, 4:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You'd need to have a good look at Prescription costs.

We looked into moving to NS in 2008 as they had a catastrophic drugs system when NB didn't (I don't think NF did either). But then NB changed a few things and it would have cost a lot more in NS than staying put did.

Back then, NS could maybe cover 80% of the costs. For 'normal' prescription costs it was pretty good. But when they come to over $5000 a month, your co-pay of $1000 is a lot.

I think you said BC covers your costs and unless something has changed you might end up having to pay at least 20% of the full price in NS.

But maybe NS having seen what NB did have since done something similar.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 6:23 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Love Halifax. St Johns is a place I have worked in alot but not lived in. The weather sucks in my view (very very short summer if any, lots of fog and rain, snow banks till early June). The people rock for the most part and its a pretty place. Right now though as I understand it its quite expensive tax wise. I am sure I heard you pay a new additional tax to even live there.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I like Halifax. Don't know St John's... Are you seriously starting to look at your options?
We are looking around to see where we might be able to own a home someday, it's not going to be in BC that is for certain as the only affordable places in BC are up north or some small town with limited to no employment and healthcare services so those places are not options.

Long term we cannot afford Vancouver, and while Kelowna and such are nice, they don't appear much cheaper rent wise and owning is also out there.

Biggest upside to BC is having significant prescription coverage with nothing out of pocket for majority of medications, as well as a guaranteed basic income, so it's not as simple as finding a place we like and moving, we have to take into account the costs of medications, availability of mental health services and so on.

But yes we are looking around to try and plan something in the next 3-5 years.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheBear
We moved to Canada 6 years ago. I have a very well paid job, we have a great home, and live in a nice area, but we are done with Canada...or more specifically Canadians. I've met people who moved here 30 years ago, raised a family etc and still struggle socially.

The nicest thing I can say about Canadians is that they are polite (until they get behind the wheel of their financed SUV).

I live for my long weekends back in the UK where you can have a real conversation. Canadians are dull as dishwater.

If you are thinking of coming, take it from someone who believed 100% that the grass was greener...it isn't. Family, friends and a country populated by people capable of intelligent conversation is worth more than a MacMansion and a shiny new SUV.

I've actually found the opposite. It's the expats I find dull, boring and complaining. Very superior, almost colonial still in their outlook, although having totally no insight in this regard. The people I connect to most are my Canadian friends and colleagues. Great sense of humour, friendly, great colleagues. Maybe it's the area I'm in but feel very at home here and on recent visits back to Blighty, felt like a fish out of water.

Each to their own though, I felt like I didn't belong in UK for years before I moved. Good luck with your move back, hope it works out for you.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

We are looking around to see where we might be able to own a home someday, it's not going to be in BC that is for certain as the only affordable places in BC are up north or some small town with limited to no employment and healthcare services so those places are not options.

Long term we cannot afford Vancouver, and while Kelowna and such are nice, they don't appear much cheaper rent wise and owning is also out there.

Biggest upside to BC is having significant prescription coverage with nothing out of pocket for majority of medications, as well as a guaranteed basic income, so it's not as simple as finding a place we like and moving, we have to take into account the costs of medications, availability of mental health services and so on.

But yes we are looking around to try and plan something in the next 3-5 years.
That's exciting!! Certainly NS has cheap housing. If you stayed working at the airport for a handler could you get a transfer to another airport?
Old Sep 1st 2017, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

That's exciting!! Certainly NS has cheap housing. If you stayed working at the airport for a handler could you get a transfer to another airport?
My company has some locations in smaller airports around Canada, only location in Ontario is Ottawa which isn't going to be an option, so if we moved to ON it would require a new job with another company.

There could be a possibility with moving to Atlantic Canada and staying with the same company, however we would have to pay for all moving costs etc, so would not be something we could do for a few years.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 4:51 pm
Gained PR July 2014

lindamchugh is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Sep 2nd 2017, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

My company has some locations in smaller airports around Canada, only location in Ontario is Ottawa which isn't going to be an option, so if we moved to ON it would require a new job with another company.

There could be a possibility with moving to Atlantic Canada and staying with the same company, however we would have to pay for all moving costs etc, so would not be something we could do for a few years.
Not cheap for sure. A lot of people in NS sell everything and start again when they arrive in their new destination. Then all they need is plane tickets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.