Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Six years and done

Six years and done

Old Aug 4th 2017, 6:38 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six years and done

Originally Posted by TheBear
The problem is the cost of property as you say. I have a deal with my parents that I can buy their village house for the same price as we sell our home here, which is enough for them to get a decent retirement apartment nearby.
You have looked at the inheritance tax implications if you buy below market price from a family member?

https://www.co-oplegalservices.co.uk...-market-value/
Old Aug 4th 2017, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

MarylandNed - thanks for your insights. One of my "problems" is that I come from a beautiful village in Sussex. The scenery is amazing, the weather is good for the UK, although still crap, the chavs are located a suitable distance away from the area, and there is London, Brighton and Europe on your doorstep, not to mention a vast array of awesome country pubs. When I go back, I am aware of the fact that much of the UK is not so pleasant, but I would possibly only ever drive through those bits!

Stinkypup: we have made closest connections with other ex pats too, and to be fair canadians who are well travelled and have something to say for themselves. Our closest friend is Barrie born and bred but has lived all over the world...she is so much fun. The problem is that while her husband is a really nice bloke, I struggle to get more than a few words out of him. I really miss my UK and antipodian mates.

I know that I have generalized wildly, and through work I have met some great people, but it seems really hard to find guys like that through my local connections. I have no love for hockey, baseball, fishing and trucks, so I am screwed really.

I did not read Stinkypup's remark as meaning that the person was his close friend, but that she was a colleague who had made more friends in Canada than in NZ and was therefore happier here.

May I point out that you may have more friends in NZ because your wife is from there and therefore was an "in" to society? When you came here, the onus was on you to find out how to fit into Canadian society.

I do hope you find what you are looking for in the UK.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
When you came here, the onus was on you to find out how to fit into Canadian society.

I do hope you find what you are looking for in the UK.
So do I.

As for the first comment, could you be more patronising? Short of having a lobotomy, I have tried my best to fit in.

Last edited by TheBear; Aug 4th 2017 at 7:35 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
You have looked at the inheritance tax implications if you buy below market price from a family member?

Thanks for posting this. I was aware of the tax ins and outs, the more nuanced piece is deliberate deprivation should they need care. That can vary from one local authority to another.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Left Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond repute

This is a very interesting thread and I think spot on with regards to the generalizations, but also the difficulties when you realize that the grass is not always greener. Wherever you go there are good and bad things about a place.

There's always a lot of talk on this forum about how Canadians are unfriendly and unsocial which is of course a generalization in itself. But I wonder if there are just certain types of people who need a large social network to feel happy. I'm Canadian but lived in the UK for 13 years and the pubs are great, people are conversational, but the longer I was there, the more alienated I felt when in a large group. There is a huge culture of keeping up with the Joneses in the UK....I found more often than not that socializing was more about gossiping about other people and trying to put them down. People brag more in the UK about their TV's, holidays, what their kids are doing etc. I found it quite difficult to have an intelligent conversation because people just wanted to talk about themselves. I really do think that UK society has become quite individualistic and there's some compulsive need to one up each other.

Right now I could list a number of good and bad things about both Canada and the UK so it really is down to what type of person you are and what you want out of your environment. For me, getting away from the aggression, violence and crowds in the UK became essential. But it always is a bit naughty to generalize Canadians as boring...or to say that all British are drunken chavs.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

So do I.

Short of having a lobotomy, I have tried to fit in.

I COULD read that as those of us who have fitted in and found friends here have had lobotomies.

I do hope that you did not mean that!

I've lived in Vancouver for 49 years, felt at home immediately we landed in Canada, and have many friends here and all over Canada. I have never even dreamt of going back to the UK since day 1.

Maybe you did chose the wrong part of Canada!

Our friends never talked trucks, fishing, hockey etc .... they all had much more wide-spreading interests before any conversation descended to that! The closest we have is 2 Canadian guys we met recently who are fascinated with "detailing" of muscle cars ............ which goes right over my head when they start. But even they are entertaining and interesting when they don't talk together about that topic!

We've travelled all the way across the country almost 20 times in the last 12 or so years, and met Canadians from every province. None of them has had conversation even mentioning about trucks etc. I have found that Canadians born in each Province or area can be very different.

What do you expect?

People born in Sussex are very different from those born in Buckinghamshire, Yorkshire, Cumbria.

Did you expect Canada to be just another England, with all the same foods, attitudes, etc?

EDIT:- I see that you have edited your post since I began to answer you!!

No, I did not intend to be patronising!

And I asked the last question above because I have seen too many posts on here from immigrants who had expected to move to another England and had a surprise to find Canada was a different country with its own rules, regulations and customs!

Last edited by scilly; Aug 4th 2017 at 7:49 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think the problem is more related to what I said earlier. I sort of expected Canadians to be similar to other Anglo Saxons, but they are not at all, much more like the Swiss.

Anyway, could flog this one to death. My last thoughts are that while I confess to generalizing, the fact that many others have found the same, suggests that the generalizations are at least partially applicable. We came with an extremely positive attitude, and have tried really hard up until about a year ago, but have realized that for whatever the reason, we don't belong here.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator

Not an issue if the parents live for 7 years after the gift
Old Aug 4th 2017, 8:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem is more related to what I said earlier. I sort of expected Canadians to be similar to other Anglo Saxons, but they are not at all, much more like the Swiss.

Anyway, could flog this one to death. My last thoughts are that while I confess to generalizing, the fact that many others have found the same, suggests that the generalizations are at least partially applicable. We came with an extremely positive attitude, and have tried really hard up until about a year ago, but have realized that for whatever the reason, we don't belong here.
I do wonder how you've found enough cradles to be able to generalize about them, they're a tiny proportion of the people I meet; Australians in London are more common than cradles in the GTA.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

pontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
drinking crap frozen beer
Lots of good beer in the Okanagan (and in BC generally) if you stay away from Molson and Labatt products. Often served a little cold it's true, but it warms up in the glass
Old Aug 4th 2017, 10:04 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pontcanna
Lots of good beer in the Okanagan (and in BC generally) if you stay away from Molson and Labatt products. Often served a little cold it's true, but it warms up in the glass
Yeah- I have thankfully sniffed it out on our arrival
Old Aug 5th 2017, 12:12 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Left Eye
This is a very interesting thread and I think spot on with regards to the generalizations, but also the difficulties when you realize that the grass is not always greener. Wherever you go there are good and bad things about a place.

There's always a lot of talk on this forum about how Canadians are unfriendly and unsocial which is of course a generalization in itself. But I wonder if there are just certain types of people who need a large social network to feel happy. I'm Canadian but lived in the UK for 13 years and the pubs are great, people are conversational, but the longer I was there, the more alienated I felt when in a large group. There is a huge culture of keeping up with the Joneses in the UK....I found more often than not that socializing was more about gossiping about other people and trying to put them down. People brag more in the UK about their TV's, holidays, what their kids are doing etc. I found it quite difficult to have an intelligent conversation because people just wanted to talk about themselves. I really do think that UK society has become quite individualistic and there's some compulsive need to one up each other.

Right now I could list a number of good and bad things about both Canada and the UK so it really is down to what type of person you are and what you want out of your environment. For me, getting away from the aggression, violence and crowds in the UK became essential. But it always is a bit naughty to generalize Canadians as boring...or to say that all British are drunken chavs.
The middle paragraph on this post was one of the reasons I wanted to leave the UK. I had almost forgot about all the keeping up with the neighbours and gossiping
Old Aug 5th 2017, 12:49 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Left Eye

There's always a lot of talk on this forum about how Canadians are unfriendly and unsocial which is of course a generalization in itself. But I wonder if there are just certain types of people who need a large social network to feel happy. I'm Canadian but lived in the UK for 13 years and the pubs are great, people are conversational, but the longer I was there, the more alienated I felt when in a large group. There is a huge culture of keeping up with the Joneses in the UK... .I found more often than not that socializing was more about gossiping about other people and trying to put them down. People brag more in the UK about their TV's, holidays, what their kids are doing etc. I found it quite difficult to have an intelligent conversation because people just wanted to talk about themselves. I really do think that UK society has become quite individualistic and there's some compulsive need to one up each other.

In some ways I find the Canadians are worse for this, especially when it comes to toys in the garage. Everyone around us seems to have to have the SUV, ATV, snowmobile, boat, cottage / cabin / RV, etc. and most of it is financed by using houses as ATMs.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 1:23 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
In some ways I find the Canadians are worse for this, especially when it comes to toys in the garage. Everyone around us seems to have to have the SUV, ATV, snowmobile, boat, cottage / cabin / RV, etc. and most of it is financed by using houses as ATMs.
I think that you will find that anywhere in the world- well, maybe not Ethiopia- just different toys depending where you live. Keeping up with the Jones is an expression derived from the UK which does imply that it does frequently happen in the Uk. Worse in Canada? I'm not so sure about that.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 1:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
Around here the snobbery is all about the cottage. People, mainly cradles and Indians, are fiercely competitive about their cottages and which lakes they're on. As on an onlooker it's absurd, if you've less than $500,000 worth of cottage it's a bug infested damp hut with 1970s pine paneling, if you were offered it as a motel room you'd run a mile. If you've a million dollar cottage it'll be nice enough but a pain to maintain, eating up your holiday with painting and decorating; the interest on a million bucks would buy you a better holiday somewhere different each year and, if you go different places, you won't have people at the office sneering because, at their damp hut, their boat has a bigger motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.