Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Six month rental - Nova Scotia

Six month rental - Nova Scotia

Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:40 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of
Question Six month rental - Nova Scotia

Has anyone managed to secure a six month home rental?I know all the landlords and agencies would rather have a years lease, probably to keep it occupied over winter.
Any advice would be appreciated
Old Apr 29th 2009, 8:56 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six month rental - Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by budcolin
Has anyone managed to secure a six month home rental?I know all the landlords and agencies would rather have a years lease, probably to keep it occupied over winter.
Any advice would be appreciated
You should give a few agents a call and just tell them you want a 6 month rental and see what they come back with - don't even mention a years rental...
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:07 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Six month rental - Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
You should give a few agents a call and just tell them you want a 6 month rental and see what they come back with - don't even mention a years rental...
I tried that Amy, well with email and they all said a year.Once I arrive it may be different when I wave a wad of dollars about...

Hope you're enjoying the sun

Colin
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:41 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budcolin
I tried that Amy, well with email and they all said a year.Once I arrive it may be different when I wave a wad of dollars about...

Hope you're enjoying the sun

Colin
Really? Ahh they be trying it on with you...trying to scare you into taking on a one year lease. You can rent my house for 6 months if you wave a wad of dollars at me...

The sun is FAB! Am getting quite the tan already...should be washed away by Monday after all the rain we are getting this weekend!!
Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

Are you looking just in and around Halifax?

If you look outside of the city you might have more luck, it also depends on the time of year.

We rented a cottage on the south shore for 6 months, but that was over the winter.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Sockdogg

If you look outside of the city you might have more luck, it also depends on the time of year.

We rented a cottage on the south shore for 6 months, but that was over the winter.
I found out today that one of my neighbours is renting out their basement suite, right on Porters Lake, for 6 months, so Sockdogg is right - move out a bit and you will probably find that people are more likely to take you on for just 6 months.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

We got a townhouse in Bedford for six months a few years ago. Our realtor knew someone who knew someone. It belonged to a guy who had moved in with his girlfriend, and didn't want to sell the house yet. You may have more luck with informal type rentals like this.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:59 pm
Wellington NS

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I found out today that one of my neighbours is renting out their basement suite, right on Porters Lake, for 6 months, so Sockdogg is right - move out a bit and you will probably find that people are more likely to take you on for just 6 months.
I'll take you up on the 6 month rental for a wad of dollars, but only if you can guarantee 6 months of sunshine, no blackflies, and a fridgefull of beer.

I dont think we'd like to stay in the city long term, so we would be looking further afield.

Nearer the time I'll pick your brains about the Eastern Passage as we've yet to explore this area.

Enjoy the rest of the sun.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:06 pm
Wellington NS

Originally Posted by Sockdogg

Definitely outside Halifax.We're staying downtown for the first month which is fine, but not long term.

How is life in Hubbards treating you?