Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

SIPP transfer and UK state pension

SIPP transfer and UK state pension

Old Jul 21st 2016, 6:56 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIPP transfer and UK state pension

Is there any difference between the pension amount that you receive at retirement if you pay into Class 2 or Class 3?
Old Jul 21st 2016, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Club Soda is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 1:39 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Steve thanks for the reply so how do you go about setting up payment, can you do this by phone or do you have to fill a form?
You use NI38, it's on the HMRC website.

Originally Posted by Club Soda
Thanks Steve. There are a couple of funds that I want to invest in which are UK based. Do you know of an RRSP that will let me do that? All of the mainstream ones that I've seen from banks, etc, only permit funds that they have on their list - CIBC xxx Fund, RBC yyy fund for example.
As John pointed out you can use a self-directed RRSP. What you can hold in an RRSP is not as broad as in a SIPP, but you can certainly hold UK equities. The real snag is the forex issue because the UK equities are sold in Sterling and the dividends are paid in Sterling so that makes it rather complicated. It can be done but it's not very flexible.

All the major FIs in Canada have RRSP products and you can buy Canadian and US ETFs, mutual funds, etc. no problem. And anything listed on a Canadian or US exchange. When it comes to other countries though, that gets more complex.

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
There are a few 'self-directed' products on the UK ROPS list here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-notifications

I assumed these were Canadian versions that acted as 'wrappers' and allowed you to make your own fund choices, but I wasn't /am not certain - not something that I am into......
Thankfully in Canada we still use the English language and they're not called "wrappers" and you don't take "drawdowns". An RRSP is a form of trust and you can take withdrawals.

If you say "wrapper" to a financial advisor here, he'll think you're talking about Drake.

Originally Posted by Edo
Is there any difference between the pension amount that you receive at retirement if you pay into Class 2 or Class 3?
No, as I pointed out in #5. Which is why you want to do Class 2 instead of 3. I'm still not entirely clear on what happened to my SERPS contributions though.

Last edited by Steve_; Jul 22nd 2016 at 1:42 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 5:48 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Originally Posted by Steve_
No, as I pointed out in #5. Which is why you want to do Class 2 instead of 3. I'm still not entirely clear on what happened to my SERPS contributions though.

OK, so I am assuming that once I register for Class 2 NI and if it gets abolished, I will still continue to pay at Class 2 rates but reap the benefits as someone who paid Class 3.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 11:26 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

No, there's no grandfather clause. As of April 6th, 2018, Class 2 is abolished. Any remaining years after that you have to pay Class 3. Once you've got enough qualifying years regardless of how you paid in, you get a full State pension. (Bearing in mind you were most likely paying Class 1 to begin with anyway).

Whether you can still register for Class 2 now and pay missing years as Class 2, I'm not 100% sure but I think you can.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 1:09 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

On the subject of RRSPs, just thought I'd add it's better to look at what the FIs have before you go crazy and try and be really OTT about it. In Alberta, it may make more sense to go to an ATB branch as it's a Crown corporation, but at the end of the day, self managed RRSPs are going to incur broker fees if nothing else.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Otto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Club Soda
Hi Ladies and Gents,

This is a really interesting thread as I'm currently working in Canada and have more or less the same requirements as nofrills has, but a little bit more besides. Not sure if I should start a new thread or add to this one, but here goes:

I'm not planning to add to my UK SIPP but I want to get at the funds as tax efficiently as possible upon retirement. I also want to change SIPP providers in the UK as I want to invest in some funds that aren't listed with my current provider. I was lead to believe that I can't have a SIPP in the UK now that I'm in Canada, but one of the posts above says that it is possible to do this.

Could anyone point me in the direction of an HMRC webpage that would clarify this, or to a reputable company either in Canada or the UK that could help with this and other investment queries?

Many thanks.
A UK IFA will have access to a number of SIPPS that would accept a Canadian residents. The platforms available will have thousands of low cost funds/ETFs etc. Non-UK IFAs will have access to only a few SIPP providers.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Otto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Josh.Woolley
<snip>

You transfer the transfers?

Given the numbers involved, I think you will have a problem substantiating that claim. What is the name of this organisation and why would someone PM you without knowing?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 21st 2016 at 6:31 am. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 6:27 am
Banned

Josh.Woolley is an unknown quantity at this point

Well for a ROPS only 17% of British pensions qualify, a fact find would need to be done to see if a ROPS would even be beneficial, and I cannot disclose that information according to the sites rules. But yes the transfer is done on a complementary basis as the issuer of the QROPS product pays the fees.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Well for a ROPS only 17% of British pensions qualify, a fact find would need to be done to see if a ROPS would even be beneficial, and I cannot disclose that information according to the sites rules. But yes the transfer is done on a complementary basis as the issuer of the QROPS product pays the fees.
And where is the source of this 17%?

If the QROPS provider pays for the review then this would most certainly be in breach of the FCA conduct of business. The FCA state-

Within our Conduct of Business Sourcebook section of our handbook under COBS 2.3.1, we list our expectations with regards to inducements and expect all firms to follow these to ensure each consumer is treated fairly. To view these rules and understand how we expect a firm to act you can click here

https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/COBS/2/3.html

Is the QROPS provider that is paying for the review going to recommend a competitor?

While that is only the FCA rules for UK business, the same principles should apply elsewhere.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 6:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot disclose that information according to the sites rules.
You can't, but I bet I can guess. There's only one company that spams us on a regular basis on QROPS posts, many of their staff have been banned from this forum because they can't be bothered to abide by the Site Rules, and they're a regular annoyance for us mods.

If I had to bet on it, I'd guess you work for that company, that begins with the letter D.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 6:40 am
Banned

All ROPS providers are registered within HMRC's guidelines, the "review" is done by the broker, the issuer does not get involved with the review. The review is to see if your pension is legally eligible for transfer and there is penalties for false claims. FCA only applies in the UK I do believe? I didn't post to spam or to get in an argument, I plan on abiding by the site rules and help was asked for I simply offered. Apologies if offence was taken.

P.S
As for recommending a competitor, the fee for transfer is 4%-7% depending on the products. A flat rate of 4.75% is charged here, so competitors are welcome to offer quotes, my intention was not pitch sales on here, I have recently moved away from the UK and I signed up to see how other individuals were dealing with Expat life. I just happen to be in the finance industry.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 21st 2016 at 6:46 am. Reason: There's an edit button if you think of something you want to add.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

All ROPS providers are registered within HMRC's guidelines, the "review" is done by the broker, the issuer does not get involved with the review. The review is to see if your pension is legally eligible for transfer and there is penalties for false claims. FCA only applies in the UK I do believe? I didn't post to spam or to get in an argument, I plan on abiding by the site rules and help was asked for I simply offered. Apologies if offence was taken.

P.S
As for recommending a competitor, the fee for transfer is 4%-7% depending on the products. A flat rate of 4.75% is charged here, so competitors are welcome to offer quotes, my intention was not pitch sales on here, I have recently moved away from the UK and I signed up to see how other individuals were dealing with Expat life. I just happen to be in the finance industry.
The conduct of business bans inducements to brokers! FCA rules must apply on transfers from final salary schemes. Best practice should be applied by all.

I thought the days of charging more than about 2% were over- clearly not. A low cost platform has no entry fees at all, and no exit fees either. Why not use those?
Old Sep 21st 2016, 6:57 am
Banned

I'm not sure what I can and cannot post now, like I said I'm new here and my intention was not to get into an argument. Inducement to brokers is an incorrect interpretation, the broker simply gives you access to product you would not be able to obtain as an individual. Best practise Is applied, but applying UK laws to worldwide practise would be impractical. I did not make up the charge figures, the market is set to 4%-7% but we also agree this is abit steep and hense the cap at 4.75%. Not sure quite how you would implement a low cost platform for a service that is very "red tape" intensive. If you did it yourself via platform and it turns out you were not eligible you would be exempt, incur charges and penalties. ROPS are very beneficially to a "select group".
Old Sep 21st 2016, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Any payment from an investment firm or a pension provider is an inducement.

A platform is a non commission product and better for the investors than a commission ridden insurance bond. A professional adviser will charge an agreed fee. Well short of 4 per cent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.