Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The single worst thing about Canada is....

The single worst thing about Canada is....

Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The single worst thing about Canada is....

Originally Posted by dbd33
The idea of having the bins emptied without taking them to the dump sounds like luxury to me. Still six grand is a lot, how many acres are you on?
Less than one! It's not really calculated on the acreage here, rather their "valuation" of the house and land together. They seem to just think of a number and double it!

6k is pretty average for this part of the world.... if you move closer to Montreal they rocket accordingly...
Old Jun 14th 2008, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Sjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Crystal Tips
Apologies, very first post! Please would someone tell me what is IHOP?

Thanks CT
It's like the American equivalent of Michelin the star rating.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 4:27 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sjt53
It's like the American equivalent of Michelin the star rating.
No you have it wrong....

over here there is a Universal Baseball Cap rating or UBC rating for short. The principle works like this. The more baseball caps you see on heads when you go into the restuarant generally reduces the quality of the food
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Sjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by geedee
Checks and balances, folks.
The fact that If my house sells the E/A will only be getting 1%

Quote from another thread.
(You should have your own agent when you go to buy a house that way they're working for you not the seller. The commission is paid by the seller not the purchaser and split 50-50 between the buyers agent and the sellers agent. Of course if you don't use an agent the Sellers agent gets the full 5%. I'm sure one of the realtors on BE will explain this a lot better than me)
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sjt53
The fact that If my house sells the E/A will only be getting 1%

Quote from another thread.
(You should have your own agent when you go to buy a house that way they're working for you not the seller. The commission is paid by the seller not the purchaser and split 50-50 between the buyers agent and the sellers agent. Of course if you don't use an agent the Sellers agent gets the full 5%. I'm sure one of the realtors on BE will explain this a lot better than me)
Ooh I've been quoted, I feel special

Even better news for you 5% could be on the low side in some provinces
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

I've just spent an evening outside.

For me it's now a toss-up between taxes and mossies.

I expect to scratch myself to sleep this evening.....
Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:17 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

....................................... bugs that bite

Arrgggh, was fishing some leaves out of our pool yesterday for all of ten minutes. Silly me, never noticed that our pool, which has not been started up for the season yet, has become a breading ground for mozzies, etc

Got 2 bites, one on my head and one on the back of my neck on my hairline. I feel like my noggin is shaped like a sack of potatoes this morning and it feels really tight so I am headed off the pharmacy for some much needed antihistimines incase my head explodes
Attached Thumbnails The single worst thing about Canada is....-img_3118.jpg  
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
....................................... bugs that bite

Arrgggh, was fishing some leaves out of our pool yesterday for all of ten minutes. Silly me, never noticed that our pool, which has not been started up for the season yet, has become a breading ground for mozzies, etc

Got 2 bites, one on my head and one on the back of my neck on my hairline. I feel like my noggin is shaped like a sack of potatoes this morning and it feels really tight so I am headed off the pharmacy for some much needed antihistimines incase my head explodes
Just two! You were lucky! My arms look like they've been mauled by a Rottweiler!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Checks and balances, folks.
Single worst thing.....

Absence of family.

Bugs are a nuisance sometimes, but not having grandpa or uncles/ aunts around is the worst thing.

Tax? Its a non issue unless you are well over $100k. I pay 24% total on my income, less than I would in the UK after you factor in NI contributions etc. Sales tax is lower too, although perhaps more widely applied.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 16th 2008 at 3:08 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Just two! You were lucky! My arms look like they've been mauled by a Rottweiler!
I agree! We were bringing in the screen house last week, weatherforecast was for high winds etc. We had mown the damn grass but were following local Green-up instructions and keeping it fairly long. Well, when we moved the tent a swarm of mossie came up from the grass and landed on me. I had just had a bath so was DEET free, plus vasodilated. So really a mosquito fast food joint. I had about 30 bites and felt rather ill. I had rubbed ice on as many bites as I could reach while MOH went out in search of pharaceuticals. He bought some stuff called Solarcaine, wonderful stuff, has Lidocaine in it.

Anyway, I felt rather poorly the next day too, but that Solarcaine stuff is magic. Ice is good too, and a damn good reason for always having a gin and tonic with you!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by daft batty

Anyway, I felt rather poorly the next day too, but that Solarcaine stuff is magic. Ice is good too, and a damn good reason for always having a gin and tonic with you!
Here's another.... from this blog (found with Google):

http://cinticapecod.blogspot.com/200...-scratchy.html

Drink Gin and Tonic, lots of it! The tonic water contains quinine which will repel the bugs when you perspire and if they do bite, you won't feel a thing!
Warning alcohol may cause pregnancy if consumed in excess or is that should not be consumed in excess by pregnant women?

Funnily enough I heard years ago that Gin'n'tonic was popular in the days of the Empire in places like India, precisely because it discourage mossies...
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, Quinine does not repel the buggers, its just an anti malarial drug, taken to lessen the effects of the bites back in the days of empire.

Old "empire" era tonic was loaded with the stuff, but modern day tonic has next to none in it, about 1% of the old levels, just enough to give it a bit of taste really (But not too much, its very bitter)

Still, if you want a G&T go ahead make mine a tall one with a slice of lime and Bombay Sapphire Gin. The trick is to make the ice cubes out of tonic water too so it doesnt get diluted down A couple of them and I dont feel the bites at all...

Last edited by iaink; Jun 16th 2008 at 2:47 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Sadly, Quinine does not repel the buggers, its just an anti malarial drug, taken to lessen the effects of the bites back in the days of empire.

Old "empire" era tonic was loaded with the stuff, but modern day tonic has next to none in it, about 1% of the old levels, just enough to give it a bit of taste really (But not too much, its very bitter)

Still, if you want a G&T go ahead make mine a tall one with a slice of lime and Bombay Sapphire Gin. The trick is to make the ice cubes out of tonic water too so it doesnt get diluted down A couple of them and I dont feel the bites at all...
You can always rely on an engineer for good sensible advice! Plus it saves the pain of ice cubes made from municipal water melting and contaminating the taste. In fact why not go one further and make them from gin and tonic?? We were thinking of this at the weekend, well, making G and T ice lollies.

I like Tanqueray for my G and Ts, with Bombay for martinis.

I think the reason behind the quinine being in the tonic and then mixed with gin was to make it more palatable for the Colonel and his Memsahib. Too much quinine messes up your adrenals.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
You can always rely on an engineer for good sensible advice! Plus it saves the pain of ice cubes made from municipal water melting and contaminating the taste. In fact why not go one further and make them from gin and tonic?? We were thinking of this at the weekend, well, making G and T ice lollies.

I like Tanqueray for my G and Ts, with Bombay for martinis.

I think the reason behind the quinine being in the tonic and then mixed with gin was to make it more palatable for the Colonel and his Memsahib. Too much quinine messes up your adrenals.

Best new song lyric for yonks:

"you sniffed me out like I was Tanqueray"
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

My understanding was that many of the more popular gins were essentialy developed to blend with the tonic and make it more palitable.

Not sure that G&T would freeze, the alcohol (if you are making them right) would keep it slushy. The sugar in the tonic makes them pretty soft ice cubes at the best of times.....sorry, its the engineer thing again

Last edited by iaink; Jun 16th 2008 at 3:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.