Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The single worst thing about Canada is....

The single worst thing about Canada is....

Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The single worst thing about Canada is....

Originally Posted by Madmac
Integrate! Heaven forbid that I 'go native'. Lol

Sarcasm and Irony - two other cultural differences I miss.
Got ya
Old Jun 13th 2008, 3:22 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Fredericton Drivers!

They have to be the worst in Canada.

I was rear ended yesterday but this entry is not a knee jerk reaction to that. Anyway the lady was an immigrant

The drivers in Fredericton all seem to think they are driving on a deserted road in an 18 wheel truck! Road positioning is awful, gas price has reduced the speed down from 70kph to below 60kph on the old trans canada highway. There are very few passing points so it is often worse than driving behind a school bus (at least they pull over when the queue gets to 7)
Old Jun 13th 2008, 4:36 pm
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light

The single wors thing has to be winter. I don't care how dry the cold is, -40 is still effen cold, and 6 months of winter in intolerable.

A few thing for honorable mention are lack of catalogues. Here I only have Sears and Ikea to flip through for fun. Lack of places to get a good curry and fish and chips. Of course Jaffa Cakes.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 4:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingnut
A few thing for honorable mention are lack of catalogues. Here I only have Sears and Ikea to flip through for fun.
Order something from L L Bean, then you'll get theirs, Land's End Yacht Company, Orvis, loads of them.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Fredericton Drivers!

They have to be the worst in Canada.

I was rear ended yesterday but this entry is not a knee jerk reaction to that. Anyway the lady was an immigrant

The drivers in Fredericton all seem to think they are driving on a deserted road in an 18 wheel truck! Road positioning is awful, gas price has reduced the speed down from 70kph to below 60kph on the old trans canada highway. There are very few passing points so it is often worse than driving behind a school bus (at least they pull over when the queue gets to 7)
Gotta agree with you there. They are bad in NS, but nothing compared to some of the driving atrocities we saw in NB

Hope they didn't make too much of a dent?
Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Where are you geedee? No booze in supermarkets here. Some have a tiny crappy wine franchise beyond the tills but that's it - and no wine at all in Manitoban supermarkets.

I'm used to beer in petrol stations from Germany, but again, none round here. I don't see the attractionl anyway - I tend to use full service so I'm not in the shop buying chocolate bars and junk I don't need...!

It's so nice to cross the border and have choice and vfm in supermarket booze, although not all carry hard liquor - not sure what stops Canada from doing the same
I'm in Quebec (thanks MBRealtor!). I haven't done a grocery shop in Ontario yet, but I'm pretty sure the petrol stations sell it there too.

Every supermarket, with the exception of Wal-Mart for some reason (another good excuse to avoid it!), sells beer& wine (apparently "cheapo" stuff, but works well for punch / sangria!), and lots of it, usually a couple of aisles at least. Loblaws has a massive section.... even Costco sell it (35 bucks for 36 pack of Bud, which isn't bad for here). I usually get Boddingtons / Caffreys / London Pride from IGA, which carries a good choice.

Most of the petrol stations have big cold rooms at the back where you can shop for beer until you get too cold!!

So don't they have that in other provinces??
Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
I'm in Quebec (thanks MBRealtor!). I haven't done a grocery shop in Ontario yet, but I'm pretty sure the petrol stations sell it there too.

Every supermarket, with the exception of Wal-Mart for some reason (another good excuse to avoid it!), sells beer& wine (apparently "cheapo" stuff, but works well for punch / sangria!), and lots of it, usually a couple of aisles at least. Loblaws has a massive section.... even Costco sell it (35 bucks for 36 pack of Bud, which isn't bad for here). I usually get Boddingtons / Caffreys / London Pride from IGA, which carries a good choice.

Most of the petrol stations have big cold rooms at the back where you can shop for beer until you get too cold!!

So don't they have that in other provinces??
Only place to buy anything alcoholic in NB and NS is in the liquor store (and I know of one specialty wine store in NS which isn't government run).
Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

The only places you can buy booze in Toronto (at least) are The Beer Store and the LCBO. Oh yeah and the Wine store that only sells Canadian stuff (I forget the name).

Last edited by Elaine B.; Jun 13th 2008 at 5:45 pm. Reason: forgot about the wine place
Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey, I didn't realise!

The SAQ (government booze shops) sell the good wines, spirits, champers etc., but they shut at 5pm on Saturday! Really handy

Sounds like QC has some good things going for it after all!
Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Crikey, I didn't realise!

The SAQ (government booze shops) sell the good wines, spirits, champers etc., but they shut at 5pm on Saturday! Really handy

Sounds like QC has some good things going for it after all!
When we moved from Montreal to Toronto I found the booze cheaper here, not sure if that's still the case.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
When we moved from Montreal to Toronto I found the booze cheaper here, not sure if that's still the case.
Probably. Booze isn't cheap here. Not at present exchange rates anyway. 4 x 440ml cans of Boddies will set you back $8.99 in IGA. The local stuff is a bit cheaper, but it is lager. I don't know what it costs in Toronto.

Getting back on topic, the biggest thing that pees me off about Canada, to date, is the tax and what you get for it. Income tax is phenomenal compared to the UK, and council (municipal) tax is a rip off. I'm paying over 6 grand a year, and for that I get a "recycling" empty once week and a "general rubbish" once a week. No street lights. No tarmac on the "road". No mains drainage. No mains water ( it's a well), just loads of effing useless "councilors" who bleed us dry and do nothing for it. The roads are a joke. The schooling is p*ss poor compared to the UK, the power shuts off at the slightest breath of wind or snow.... I'm paying 500 bucks a month plus to get my sodding bins emptied!! And where on earth my income tax goes, God only knows. It certainly isn't invested in the infrastructure or the general betterment of our society.

But the Canadians will just sit back, watch the game and let it all drift over their heads. After all, Wal-Mart has 10% off on rib-eyes next Monday. So life MUST be good, eh?
Old Jun 14th 2008, 7:04 am
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light

Let me get this straight. In -40 weather with snow up to your chin, what your really bothered about is when the liquor store is open and how much is costs?
Old Jun 14th 2008, 9:53 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Income tax is phenomenal compared to the UK
I dunno how much you used to pay back in the UK, but the levels are certainly similar now from what I've seen and if you only have one half of a married couple working, the other half can claim their tax free allowance - you can't do that here.... Things might be different in Quebec though, but can't be that much more surely?

Last edited by G77; Jun 14th 2008 at 10:11 am.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by G77
I dunno how much you used to pay back in the UK, but the levels are certainly similar now from what I've seen and if you only have one half of a married couple working, the other half can claim their tax free allowance - you can't do that here.... Things might be different in Quebec though, but can't be that much more surely?
From what I remember of living in Quebec (Montreal) it's the most highly taxed province in Canada.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 11:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting back on topic, the biggest thing that pees me off about Canada, to date, is the tax and what you get for it. Income tax is phenomenal compared to the UK, and council (municipal) tax is a rip off. I'm paying over 6 grand a year, and for that I get a "recycling" empty once week and a "general rubbish" once a week. No street lights. No tarmac on the "road". No mains drainage. No mains water ( it's a well), just loads of effing useless "councilors" who bleed us dry and do nothing for it. The roads are a joke. The schooling is p*ss poor compared to the UK, the power shuts off at the slightest breath of wind or snow.... I'm paying 500 bucks a month plus to get my sodding bins emptied!! And where on earth my income tax goes, God only knows. It certainly isn't invested in the infrastructure or the general betterment of our society.
The idea of having the bins emptied without taking them to the dump sounds like luxury to me. Still six grand is a lot, how many acres are you on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.