Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The single worst thing about Canada is....

The single worst thing about Canada is....

Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The single worst thing about Canada is....

Originally Posted by dbd33
I find the high cost and difficulty of obtaining booze to be a pain in the arse but I think it's just a symptom of a bigger problem; the Canadian fixation with legislation, regulation and conformity. I think there's a real split between the born-in-Canada-to-Canadians people, the unhyphenated, who are largely employed regulating and fussing and the general public who are largely engaged in evading, subverting and getting on with life. I was saddened by the bust of a west end grocery store last week for selling home made wine, as I am when I hear of traders run in for selling Marlboro..
I guess the liquor restrictions are a pain especially if you're an alky. Otherwise their livable especially since they do seem to control the number of drunks

Originally Posted by dbd33
Still, for all the petty regulations (Cancon anyone?), the constant struggle to find ways to pretend not to be different from Americans is a worse aspect of the people and the climate is the single worst aspect of, at least, Ontario.
Duh!
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
I guess the liquor restrictions are a pain especially if you're an alky. Otherwise their livable especially since they do seem to control the number of drunks
Oh please, I'm neither. I'd just like to be able to have a wider choice of beverages, at competitive prices. As Steve said, when something's cheaper in Hawaii you know you're being ripped off
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
I don't think either feeble assertion holds.

For example last Sunday while toiling in the fields I had the idea that margeritas would be nice. Since it was four o'clock and that's when the local LCBO closes I had to drive 20 miles each way to one that's open until five in order to get Tequila and Cointreau. In a civilized country I could have gone to the gas station and paid a premium or to No Frills and bought store brands. If I had been motivated by simple alcoholism I could have drunk one of the many beverages on hand.

The streets and parks of Toronto and of Guelph, two places I know well, are jammed with homeless alcoholic, meth and crack addicted bums. The queues of people at the Beer Store at 11:00 on Sunday morning clutching their collection of cans for recycling and begged quarters are a common and unseemly sight. Drunk driving is usual in our county, drinking while driving is common as evidenced by the whisky and beer bottles that line the sides of roads (and incidentally by the bullet holes in the road signs).

The LCBO serves to generate lots of tax revenue and to make alcohol purchases prissly inconvenient; it's a religious thing, not a useful one.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:59 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Oh please, I'm neither. I'd just like to be able to have a wider choice of beverages, at competitive prices. As Steve said, when something's cheaper in Hawaii you know you're being ripped off
Yep two stops while shopping was a right pain up the 'arris.

Also the blank look and, "Thats hilarious" after you've told them a funny joke or a funny story.

Just laugh then!
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

DebbieK will become famous soon enoughDebbieK will become famous soon enough

This has had me in stitches... maybe if we fail to get in I will just print off all the good reasons why we didn't make it!!!! Thanks guys
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

DebbieK will become famous soon enoughDebbieK will become famous soon enough

It could be worse.. you could be still trying to get there despite all these bad things Tell you what, I'll do a house swap with any of you in Calgary area!!!
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Yep two stops while shopping was a right pain up the 'arris.
It was always three stops for me - buy the food, then go to booze shop. Realise you don't have necessary mixers/limes/whatever for booze, go back to supermarket and purchase Now I just do a one-stop shop in the US
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:27 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

'Chips' and 'Crisps'? WTF!

If I have to physically point at another rack of crisps (yes CRISPS damn you all) and mouth C-R-I-S-P-S in a slightly demented, slack-jaw yokel stylee, then I will go in a major huffy.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:44 pm
Hello Dave..

Davey Dan Oli is an unknown quantity at this point

....people using cell phones whilst driving.

I must see every forth driver using their cell. It seems that every European nation has banned it but Canada seems to be 20 years behind on it.

My SIL when she was 7 months pregnant was on the phone to the wife for over 30 mins and then told her she had to go because she has just arrived home at driving through the snow. And she is a nurse and her other half is a doctor.

I have seen someone driving whilst smoking and using a cellphone, a father driving his minivan with all the family in it and texting at the same time.

There seems to be all this coverage about wanting to ban smoking parents from smoking in their vehicles when their kids are there. This is a great idea but i think that someone nattering away on their cellphone is more likely to cause the death or serious injury of their kid.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:06 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madmac
'Chips' and 'Crisps'? WTF!

If I have to physically point at another rack of crisps (yes CRISPS damn you all) and mouth C-R-I-S-P-S in a slightly demented, slack-jaw yokel stylee, then I will go in a major huffy.
So why are you so frustrated, it is not the person behind the counters fault it is yours.

They call them chips here get used to it. It is really not that big a deal and would be quite easy for you to change your vocabulary.

Last edited by Steve_P; Jun 13th 2008 at 2:10 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davey Dan Oli
I have seen someone driving whilst smoking and using a cellphone
I used to do that routinely. Now I drink coffee, phone and floss my teeth.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
So why are frustrated, it is not the person behind the counters fault it is yours.

They call them chips here get used to it. it is really not that big a deal and would be quite easy for you to change your vocabulary.
I've got to agree with you Steve, I don't see why you would get so hung up on a word there's no right or wrong it's just different

(No doubt when i move back to Northern Ireland I'll get the piss taken out of me for using "canadian" words.)
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Davey Dan Oli
There seems to be all this coverage about wanting to ban smoking parents from smoking in their vehicles when their kids are there. This is a great idea but i think that someone nattering away on their cellphone is more likely to cause the death or serious injury of their kid.
These are fines examples of areas where new legislation is just busy-bodying. Civil liberties could be better preserved by a policy requiring that the passage of a new law should require the repeal of an old one so, for example, banning smoking while driving would be balanced by the repeal of the seat belt laws. Banning cell phones in cars would be offset by the elimination of the highway speed limit.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:17 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
So why are you so frustrated, it is not the person behind the counters fault it is yours.

They call them chips here get used to it. It is really not that big a deal and would be quite easy for you to change your vocabulary.
Integrate! Heaven forbid that I 'go native'. Lol

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
I've got to agree with you Steve, I don't see why you would get so hung up on a word there's no right or wrong it's just different

(No doubt when i move back to Northern Ireland I'll get the piss taken out of me for using "canadian" words.)
Sarcasm and Irony - two other cultural differences I miss.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:18 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madmac
Integrate! Heaven forbid that I 'go native'. Lol
Come on in the waters fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.