Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The single worst thing about Canada is....

The single worst thing about Canada is....

Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The single worst thing about Canada is....

Originally Posted by geedee
Folks... what's this gripe about no booze in supermarkets?? You can buy beer and wine, but true, not spirits.

And don't you think it's real handy to buy booze in a petrol station! Imagine that in the UK.
Where are you geedee? No booze in supermarkets here. Some have a tiny crappy wine franchise beyond the tills but that's it - and no wine at all in Manitoban supermarkets.

I'm used to beer in petrol stations from Germany, but again, none round here. I don't see the attractionl anyway - I tend to use full service so I'm not in the shop buying chocolate bars and junk I don't need...!

It's so nice to cross the border and have choice and vfm in supermarket booze, although not all carry hard liquor - not sure what stops Canada from doing the same
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:51 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly; it's not called "BRITISHexpats.com" fer nuffin!

Although you'd never guess, what with all the Brit haters here!
I love Brits! (well some)

I married a Brit and we are still married after 26 years (lucky woman)

WOW I am ....... English LOLOLOL just teasing I'm a Brit too
Old Jun 13th 2008, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Folks... what's this gripe about no booze in supermarkets?? You can buy beer and wine, but true, not spirits.

And don't you think it's real handy to buy booze in a petrol station! Imagine that in the UK.

I don't know about where you are but where i am on VI you can only get non-alcoholic <<spit,spit>> booze in supermarkets here and have never even seen that in gas stations.

ANyone else seen alcohol for sale in supermarkets/gas stations ?
Old Jun 13th 2008, 4:28 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I think geedee is in Quebec.
x
Old Jun 13th 2008, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I think geedee is in Quebec.
x
Thanks Judy for clearing that up

Just thought of something else........not that it is the single worst thing in Canada but its something i hate......its when people say "good jobbbbb" drives me nuts when i hear it and has a right cringe factor!
Old Jun 13th 2008, 7:54 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy booze in petrol stations here in England - I have one just down the road that sells booze.... they have to be licensed of course, but nothing to stop a petrol station owner from applying for said license...

There's a backlash here at the moment about booze in supermarkets - the big supermarkets are heavily subsidising booze in order to get people through the door in the hope that they'll buy something else whilst they're in. For instance, I bought 24 cans of Stella for £10 the other week - don't normally drink Stella, but when it's cheaper than water it was hard to resist! Reason for the backlash is that it's encouraging people to drink, which of course costs money to the NHS and also fuels anti-social drinking/behaviour.

Last edited by G77; Jun 13th 2008 at 7:58 am.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

spanglish is a jewel in the roughspanglish is a jewel in the roughspanglish is a jewel in the roughspanglish is a jewel in the roughspanglish is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by macadian
People who say 'Have a great day' when they really don't give a F***!
Well, that's interesting. Are you English yourself? because I find that English people do say How are you? without being interested in how you really are.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spanglish
Well, that's interesting. Are you English yourself? because I find that English people do say How are you? without being interested in how you really are.
I used to know an Irish woman who complained about that. She was annoyed when people weren't too interested when she answered the question honestly. We pointed out that it's polite to answer the question " how are you?" with the same question "I am well, how are you?" and not giveh a lengthy description of varicose vein operations, bowel movements, or whatever. Of course it's different when a friend asks and its not just a social greeting. "Have a nice day" is in the same category. I usually reply with "You too", though I do find it a bit OTT when it's an awesome day
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
I used to know an Irish woman who complained about that. She was annoyed when people weren't too interested when she answered the question honestly. We pointed out that it's polite to answer the question " how are you?" with the same question "I am well, how are you?" and not giveh a lengthy description of varicose vein operations, bowel movements, or whatever. Of course it's different when a friend asks and its not just a social greeting. "Have a nice day" is in the same category. I usually reply with "You too", though I do find it a bit OTT when it's an awesome day
When I moved here at first (almost 9 years ago) I found it annoying when people said "how are you?" or "have a nice day" now when I go back home I find it odd when people don't say it I do find people back in the UK do tend to smile and say hello more when you pass them on the street when you do that in Toronto they look confused
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
When I moved here at first (almost 9 years ago) I found it annoying when people said "how are you?" or "have a nice day" now when I go back home I find it odd when people don't say it I do find people back in the UK do tend to smile and say hello more when you pass them on the street when you do that in Toronto they look confused
When we went back we found it quite spooky; the way people made little eye contact, or you could buy something without the shop assistant even greeting you. It was like the League of Gentlemen.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
When we went back we found it quite spooky; the way people made little eye contact, or you could buy something without the shop assistant even greeting you. It was like the League of Gentlemen.
I used to work in a bar in downtown Toronto and of course as soon as a customer came in the door I would say "hi how are you? What can I get for you? I remember going back to Belfast and going into a bar and being stunned that the bartender didn't even acknowledge my existence until I asked for a drink. I guess it's obvious they don't reply on getting tips in the UK
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spanglish
Actually I am a Scot (West of Scotland) . We normally use the term of enquiry " Howsitgoin'...or 'Howareayhingin'...but its a genuine enquiry when its used....
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I find the high cost and difficulty of obtaining booze to be a pain in the arse but I think it's just a symptom of a bigger problem; the Canadian fixation with legislation, regulation and conformity. I think there's a real split between the born-in-Canada-to-Canadians people, the unhyphenated, who are largely employed regulating and fussing and the general public who are largely engaged in evading, subverting and getting on with life. I was saddened by the bust of a west end grocery store last week for selling home made wine, as I am when I hear of traders run in for selling Marlboro.

Still, for all the petty regulations (Cancon anyone?), the constant struggle to find ways to pretend not to be different from Americans is a worse aspect of the people and the climate is the single worst aspect of, at least, Ontario.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Crystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really nice

If you are really into TV you can buy an HD digital decoder ($600) and with a suitable TV you can count the nose hairs of the actors
That's the HD digital decoder out of the equation then.

Thanks for all the info on the tv stuff, really helpful and handy to know (and OH will be stunned and impressed once the tv is all set up with the good channels - easily pleased bless him)

I do think it's the little, sometimes very simple things that make the biggest difference to settling in and 'feeling at home' when you first arrive in a new country.

Thank you
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

for most of the country - we are 100's of miles from the coast

+ I'd love to be next to a continent full of different countries (no disrespect USA)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.