Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Single mum looking to move with 3 children

Single mum looking to move with 3 children

Old Nov 23rd 2020, 5:29 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single mum looking to move with 3 children

Having lived in both Canada and the UK in recent years, there's - off the top of my head - nothing I can think of that's meaningfully cheaper in Canada than in Blighty.
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 10:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
Having lived in both Canada and the UK in recent years, there's - off the top of my head - nothing I can think of that's meaningfully cheaper in Canada than in Blighty.
everything considered, I think Canada is more expensive than the UK.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The OP hasn't come back but what she wrote does surprise me: "im not looking to move to improve my quality of life, I'm looking for when my kids are adults. ATM England holds nothing but no jobs, crime and missery for many. I want more for my kids as adults." At the end of the day kids will do their own thing, so moving to any country doesn't mean the kids will stay there and never touch drugs etc.. I would have also thought that 35K could be used for the kids education later on rather than wasting it on a move and then they can decide where they want to study /move to themselves. The OP also lived in France, so it would be interesting why Rural Canada would automatically offer better education and job opportunities.

Last edited by Moses2013; Nov 24th 2020 at 10:26 am.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I disagree unless you are living in Vancouver or on the Island. House prices, fuel prices are outrageous in the UK. Sure groceries are cheaper and some clothes are but that’s about it. Just about everywhere you go in the UK you have to pay for parking (that’s if you are lucky enough to find a parking spot lol) and so forth!
Old Dec 15th 2020, 4:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Goose
I disagree unless you are living in Vancouver or on the Island. House prices, fuel prices are outrageous in the UK. Sure groceries are cheaper and some clothes are but that’s about it. Just about everywhere you go in the UK you have to pay for parking (that’s if you are lucky enough to find a parking spot lol) and so forth!

Perhaps Alberta is cheaper, but Ontario isn't - house prices have gone through the roof both for renting and buying; food prices are increasing weekly, electricity and water rates have gone up once again. Have you tried to find parking in any reasonable size town or city around these parts? Extortionate! Compared to where my family members live in the UK, it's their opinion that many things are more expensive here - with the exception of petrol (gas) and consumer electronics (t.v's, etc.,) - and of course internet / cable / cell phone costs are far higher here - as are vehicle insurance costs. Alberta even has lower tax rates
https://www.retailcouncil.org/resour...s-by-province/
Old Dec 16th 2020, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you live, once you go outside the big cities.

I live in a large town (circa 150k) in the UK, quiet area, cul de sac, 3 bed semi with an extension on the back (so bigger than most 4 beds, garden, drive, garage) wouldn't set me back much more than £140,000 to buy it now - outside of NB/MB you dont find much similar in the $250k bracket.

Fuel is expensive, but then I run a 4.5 year old BMW, cost me all of £4000, does 60mpg, free road tax, insurance is £450ish for the year - so whilst it might be £1.15 a litre for diesel, with some notable exceptions buying a used car is far more expensive in Canada, the vehicles themselves are typically less economical, insurance is significantly more etc.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 9:19 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

I agree 100%, Stumpy.

Outside the big cities - actually, just outside London - life is pretty affordable in the UK unless you really must have the newest and shiniest everything.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Susi posted and ran, not that there was any chance of her migrating.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant future

I grew up in Cheltenham, pretty posh town, three bedroom semi and the bedrooms were not much bigger than the bed itself. Sure it had a front and back garden, that took all of five minutes to mow. I left when I was 21 and I'm now getting close to 60 it was the best decision I ever made for a myriad of reasons. I live in a city of 100'000 people and can drive to Calgary in an hour and half with no M25 to contend with or any other chockablock roads that take forever to navigate with stop start traffic, my car insurance is no more than yours and I drive a 2019 VW Tiguan. I know folk who have moved to Canada from the UK and after a few years they get the itch to go back, usually the wife misses her family too much or her hubby misses his local pub and his mates so they sell up and move back.....and return back to Canada within two years haha. I call it the yoyo effect! Of course there are many other reasons why I choose to live here and why I would never move back but there is no sense in getting into a peeing match over it but my cousin came over with her husband for a holiday in the Rockies and loved it so much they emigrated and have settled in NS and set up 2 businesses! I have a sister and her 7 grown kids that live in the UK still but having been here for almost 40 years I know I'm much better off. Cheers
Old Dec 17th 2020, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in Cheltenham, pretty posh town, three bedroom semi and the bedrooms were not much bigger than the bed itself. Sure it had a front and back garden, that took all of five minutes to mow. I left when I was 21 and I'm now getting close to 60 it was the best decision I ever made for a myriad of reasons. I live in a city of 100'000 people and can drive to Calgary in an hour and half with no M25 to contend with or any other chockablock roads that take forever to navigate with stop start traffic, my car insurance is no more than yours and I drive a 2019 VW Tiguan. I know folk who have moved to Canada from the UK and after a few years they get the itch to go back, usually the wife misses her family too much or her hubby misses his local pub and his mates so they sell up and move back.....and return back to Canada within two years haha. I call it the yoyo effect! Of course there are many other reasons why I choose to live here and why I would never move back but there is no sense in getting into a peeing match over it but my cousin came over with her husband for a holiday in the Rockies and loved it so much they emigrated and have settled in NS and set up 2 businesses! I have a sister and her 7 grown kids that live in the UK still but having been here for almost 40 years I know I'm much better off. Cheers
No completely agree, from spending 10+ weeks in Canada i feel like its what I want (hence the reason that I am on the forum) and feel that generally I would be better off in Canada, however also feel that Canada is far more polarising with regards wealth - being a skilled tradesperson, business owner etc, you will generally be far better off than doing so in the UK (notable exceptions apply obviously) on a £ to quality of life value.

However I also think that it can be far much more expensive up to a certain level than the UK, and at the budget/low income end of things Canada is actually less affordable than the UK - which was my point. for the OP who had limited funds, a household to support and whilst having a vital job, one that is often underpaid in the UK and something which would require training/qualifications in Canada, that even if she found a way to move - her dream of being able to provide a better life for her kids may not be as good when the reality of the cost of Canadian rent, car insurance for newcomers, cellphone plans for her and her kids all run a hell of a lot more than the UK.
Old Dec 17th 2020, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
No completely agree, from spending 10+ weeks in Canada i feel like its what I want (hence the reason that I am on the forum) and feel that generally I would be better off in Canada, however also feel that Canada is far more polarising with regards wealth - being a skilled tradesperson, business owner etc, you will generally be far better off than doing so in the UK (notable exceptions apply obviously) on a £ to quality of life value.

However I also think that it can be far much more expensive up to a certain level than the UK, and at the budget/low income end of things Canada is actually less affordable than the UK - which was my point. for the OP who had limited funds, a household to support and whilst having a vital job, one that is often underpaid in the UK and something which would require training/qualifications in Canada, that even if she found a way to move - her dream of being able to provide a better life for her kids may not be as good when the reality of the cost of Canadian rent, car insurance for newcomers, cellphone plans for her and her kids all run a hell of a lot more than the UK.
Good point. For someone starting out from scratch with young uns yes it would be very difficult if not impossible without qualifications or a job in place. I came out at the start of the 80’s when it was a lot different. Britain has a lot that I miss like character and history, dare I say the Toby carvery even and countryside to die for. It’s just a shame it’s so crowded and littered and not how it used to be, sigh. I still enjoy my frequent trips back to visit my sister and her family though and get a chuckle out of the countless humped pelican crossings that must be a boon to the suspension suppliers lol. But all in all I count my blessings for where I live and give thanks for my heritage.
Old Dec 21st 2020, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Susi posted and ran, not that there was any chance of her migrating.
Agree.
I think it was a wind up but even in the unlikely event that she was serious, at today's rate her 35,000 GBP would be about 60,000 CAD, nowhere near enough to set yourself up with 3 kids and a pony..