Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Single Flights compared to return!!

Single Flights compared to return!!

Old Apr 3rd 2013, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

cushdee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Single Flights compared to return!!

Just been loking at flight prices

I cant believe it :

Single Journey from LGW to Calgary £1030 In may

but a return journey is £430 to Calgary and £430 Return To LGW?! thats crazy!!

Basically because I only need a single i have to pay an Extra £600? surely that cant be right? am i missing something?

Surely i could book a Return and just not use it? Or is that a big NO NO
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single Flights compared to return!!

Originally Posted by cushdee

I cant believe it :

Basically because I only need a single i have to pay an Extra £600? surely that cant be right? am i missing something?

That is fine
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 5:59 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

I cant believe it :

who are you looking to book with?..and if you buy a return they hardly going to hunt you down and make you get on the return flight.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
That is fine
Great! The reason is I am trying to take over my dog with me will this be a problem by booking a return then not using it?
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
who are you looking to book with?..and if you buy a return they hardly going to hunt you down and make you get on the return flight.
THis is with BA the reason im using them is due to Air transat wont take pets on their planes anymore its either air canada or BA .
Now im thinking what if i was to book a retun date like 7 months down the line can i do this as we will be coming home for xmas anyway?!
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

I cant believe it :

What class are you looking to travel in!?! :-)
I've just checked on canadian affair for a single LGW -> YYC on 10th May (a random date) and it pulled up 4 flights around that date, ranging between £469 and £569.
I think you just missed the latest CA promotion, it finished yesterday, but it wasn't really worth bothering with anyway, it was £30 off an instant-purchase return flight.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

THis is with Air Canada the reason im using them is due to Air transat wont take pets on their planes anymore its either air canada or BA and their way to expensive.
Now im thinking what if i was to book a retun date like 7 months down the line can i do this as we will be coming home for xmas anyway?!
I'm afraid this is piffle, who told you that? I've just booked my two dogs to fly with my family and I in August on our Air Transat flight. It's MAN to YYC but I'm sure they'd carry pets from LGW in May. £180 per pet, by the way. Have a look at this thread about flying pets to Canada http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782352

Last edited by Bucks_Family; Apr 3rd 2013 at 6:08 pm. Reason: spelt the blinkin airline wrong
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family
I'm afraid this is piffle, who told you that? I've just booked my two dogs to fly with my family and I in August on our Air Transat flight. It's MAN to YYC but I'm sure they'd carry pets from LGW in May. £180 per pet, by the way.
Really?! When i rung up Canadain Affair they said they dont take them?! i called them yesterday? The girl said "hold on let me ask my supervisor" and then came back and said no?
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Really?! When i rung up Canadain Affair they said they dont take them?! i called them yesterday? The girl said "hold on let me ask my supervisor" and then came back and said no?
In a nutshell, you need to book your own flight with Air Transat (either directly through the AT website or through Canadian Affair - we booked through the CA website) then you ring AT in Montreal and speak to a nice human being. You give them your flight booking ref, the breed of dog (no naughty breeds allowed) and you swear blind that you'll have the right paperwork and Fido will be in the correct type of travel crate, and they ask for your credit card number. 24-48 hours later you get an email confirming your dog's booking. This does depend on them not having used up all the pet-spaces on that particular flight (the limit is 5 per flight, I think).
Check this link about AT and pets.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

boybiskit is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar issue with 1 way flights before. I just ended up booking an open return. it costs more but you know you'll use the return leg at some point. I used it for a surprise family Christmas visit. Many brownie points!
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 6:27 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

I cant believe it :

actually a 400 notes return to Calgary with BA seems a pretty sweet deal to me
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Just rung up Air Transat you right they do take dogs! The only problem we face is they dont fly them back home? As we're probably gonna be coming home for xmas The plan was to Book a Return ticket with me and the dog but now Im stuck as to what to do!!
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just rung up Air Transat you right they do take dogs! The only problem we face is they dont fly them back home? As we're probably gonna be coming home for xmas The plan was to Book a Return ticket with me and the dog but now Im stuck as to what to do!!
If your return home for Christmas is just a short holiday trip, why bring your dog back? Kennel him in Calgary, that seems fairer than two more transatlantic flights (unless you can get frequent flyer miles for him/her? :-) )?
And I agree with cheeky_monkey, if you can get a BA return for May/December for £430, you're doing well! I see those flights starting at £700 and that's with American, not BA. With BA though you will have to use a 3rd-party company to arrange your dog transportation, and they don't come cheap, you'll be talking thousands for a return trip, depending on the dog's weight.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family
If your return home for Christmas is just a short holiday trip, why bring your dog back? Kennel him in Calgary, that seems fairer than two more transatlantic flights (unless you can get frequent flyer miles for him/her? :-) )?
And I agree with cheeky_monkey, if you can get a BA return for May/December for £430, you're doing well! I see those flights starting at £700 and that's with American, not BA. With BA though you will have to use a 3rd-party company to arrange your dog transportation, and they don't come cheap, you'll be talking thousands for a return trip, depending on the dog's weight.
Yeah i see what your saying! It would only be a short trip so maybe kennels would be a better option! The BA flight is £430 each way.. I have seen a AT flight at £350 Plus the £180 for the dog so think this is the best option! Thanks for your help though seriously would not know they took dogs otherwise!! Im gonna book my flights through Canadian Affair and then ring AT and tell them the details and then RELAX lol its been a hectic few days!
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah i see what your saying! It would only be a short trip so maybe kennels would be a better option! The BA flight is £430 each way.. I have seen a AT flight at £350 Plus the £180 for the dog so think this is the best option! Thanks for your help though seriously would not know they took dogs otherwise!! Im gonna book my flights through Canadian Affair and then ring AT and tell them the details and then RELAX lol its been a hectic few days!
No problem, that's what BE is for :-) The thread I linked to earlier saved us over £500, as we assumed we'd need to send our larger dog as cargo, but we don't, he just goes as excess baggage for £180 too. Bargain.