British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   SIN number, no address (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/sin-number-no-address-761738/)

Oaken Jun 14th 2012 4:54 pm

SIN number, no address

Apologies if this has already been covered but I can’t seem to find any information on it.

Is it possible to get a SIN number without a permanent address or using a hotel address and get my SIN card sent out at a later date? As I’m flying into Calgary and would like to get everything sorted out before i leave Calgary as I will be doing a bit of travelling before I settle down and find somewhere to rent and odds are I’ll be a few hundred k from the nearest service Canada centre.

iaink Jun 14th 2012 5:00 pm

Re: SIN number, no address

Originally Posted by Oaken (Post 10119265)
Apologies if this has already been covered but I can’t seem to find any information on it.

Is it possible to get a SIN number without a permanent address or using a hotel address and get my SIN card sent out at a later date? As I’m flying into Calgary and would like to get everything sorted out before i leave Calgary as I will be doing a bit of travelling before I settle down and find somewhere to rent and odds are I’ll be a few hundred k from the nearest service Canada centre.

I did it using my work address IIRC, either that or my hotel... it was a while ago.

Frankly though there is no need to rush to get it if you are leaving the country shortly after arriving.

Mad Jockette Jun 15th 2012 12:21 am

we used the hotel address we stopped in. They were really good and kept our mail for me to collect it after I got a place to stay. It was easier in the interim, giving me time to get addresses changed.

raymasa Jun 18th 2012 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Oaken (Post 10119265)

When I applied they gave me the number right away and they had the actual card sent to their own Services Canada office (where I applied for SIN), which I picked up from them after 2 weeks. If you are going to be in the same area, you can request that they hold the card for you and you can pick it up from them.

Ray

Almost Canadian Jun 19th 2012 12:54 pm

When we arrived, we applied and left with our cards the same day. IIRC, there was no need to provide them with any form of address.

Oaken Jun 19th 2012 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by raymasa (Post 10126379)
When I applied they gave me the number right away and they had the actual card sent to their own Services Canada office (where I applied for SIN), which I picked up from them after 2 weeks. If you are going to be in the same area, you can request that they hold the card for you and you can pick it up from them.

Ray

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10127267)
When we arrived, we applied and left with our cards the same day. IIRC, there was no need to provide them with any form of address.

Sounds good either way is perfect thanks for the info.