Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sin Number ???

Sin Number ???

Old Aug 9th 2005, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

pollyw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sin Number ???

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES FOR ME TO GET A SIN MUNBER?

I WILL BE GETTING TO GTA ON 20TH SEPT. AND MY WIFE & I WILL NEED TO GET A SIN....

HOW LONG, WHER DO YOU GO ETC ETC cAN WE GET IT VIA INTERNET/EMAIL FROM GOVERNMENT?

THANKS

PAUL & VERONICA
GLASGOW
Old Aug 9th 2005, 3:09 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sin Number ???

Originally Posted by pollyw

I WILL BE GETTING TO GTA ON 20TH SEPT. AND MY WIFE & I WILL NEED TO GET A SIN....

HOW LONG, WHER DO YOU GO ETC ETC cAN WE GET IT VIA INTERNET/EMAIL FROM GOVERNMENT?

THANKS

PAUL & VERONICA
GLASGOW
The info you need is, as ever, on a Government of Canada website.

www.hrsdc.gc.ca

As the site suggests, it's best to do it in person at one of their offices. Have all your PR docs with you. You should get the card in 2-3 weeks.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 3:41 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
The info you need is, as ever, on a Government of Canada website.

www.hrsdc.gc.ca

As the site suggests, it's best to do it in person at one of their offices. Have all your PR docs with you. You should get the card in 2-3 weeks.
This can be fast tracked, Mr R2D2 got his in 1-2 weeks as we explained that his company wouldn't be able to pay him without it. The rest of the familys came a couple of weeks later.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

We applied for our on 21st July and are still waiting. The department of Human Resources (Canadian equivalnt of the Job Centre) said it can take upto 6 weeks.

Once the number is on the system, you can ring up and they will tell you it over the phone. To do this you need your PR card no (this is the same number as on the Prrof of PR papers that are sent back by the CHC when you get your visas).

For your records, the SIN freephone number is 1-800-206-7218 and teh menu option to get to the right department are 3-0-1-7.

I keep ringing up but we still aren't on the system yet. When I explain that it is holding me up working, they aren't interested. Oh well I'll just have to stay at home and

HTH

Louise
Old Aug 9th 2005, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

An update - I rang up the SIN office after posting the message to you and it went on the system today!

So to be processed and put on the system has taken from 21 July to 9 August - 19 days (incuding weekends and BC day holiday).

Regards, Louise
Old Aug 9th 2005, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

I got my SIN number over the counter. I showed Human Resources Canada my work visa and offer of employment, and they did it there and then. The card itself took a couple of weeks to arrive, but at least I already new the SIN number to start work the following week.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 5:21 pm
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

THANKS

PAUL & VERONICA
GLASGOW
3-4 WEEKS AFTER U APPLY
Old Aug 9th 2005, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snave
I got my SIN number over the counter. I showed Human Resources Canada my work visa and offer of employment, and they did it there and then. The card itself took a couple of weeks to arrive, but at least I already new the SIN number to start work the following week.
Hi Snave,

Lucky you, I wish we could have done this. I have been waiting nearly 3 weeks to open a business account and register for PST neither of which I could do with out the SIN.

Louise
Old Aug 10th 2005, 12:02 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

I asked for a Priority and the card was there waiting for me to collect the following day. The other family members cards who were not priority took 8 days to arrive in the mail.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

davio28 is an unknown quantity at this point

i went in to ask for mine and was issued a number on the spot. it took literally 10 minutes.

for the card to be issued took a few days though.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

I submitted my application to a downtown Toronto office on 28th July. Still waiting... . 4 Weeks are gone and I will wait for 2 more weeks and if i dont hear anything , i will call them.
I remember after submitting application , when I requested HRDC person to let me know my SIN# ,answer was NO.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 5:28 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Big variations!!!

Maybe it is mostly dependent on which office/city/province you apply to?
Old Aug 28th 2005, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

p177772005 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I live in Montreal now. Landed on 9th August, applied for SIN card and Medicare card on 10th August, got a job on 23rd August and received SIN card on 25th August. Didn't ask for priority or anything like that.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

i have a sin number but never got my sin card :S
Old Aug 28th 2005, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Elhombre will become famous soon enoughElhombre will become famous soon enough

Landed August 20th, applied in person on August 22nd and got it on August 24th. Card to follow week commencing August 29th.

H

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.