SIN Cards

Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Glassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: SIN Cards

Originally Posted by The Aviator
No they won't. Until you become a tax resident and earn income they don't want to know you. Many people have a SIN that don't earn income nor file tax returns. However I do wonder why one would go to the bother of applying for a SIN until residing permanently.
Hi Aviator,

If I decided not to obtain my SIN during my landing trip in October, could I still apply for Canadian jobs when I'm back in the UK? Or is it a case of I could apply for Canadian jobs, but I couldn't officially be offered a post until I obtained my SIN?

Cheers

Glassy
Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glassy
Hi Aviator,

If I decided not to obtain my SIN during my landing trip in October, could I still apply for Canadian jobs when I'm back in the UK? Or is it a case of I could apply for Canadian jobs, but I couldn't officially be offered a post until I obtained my SIN?

Cheers

Glassy
So long as you are eligible to legally work in Canada, there is no problem with not having a SIN until you start work. An employer is not going to ask (or should not) for this until your first day or so of work when you have some payroll/tax forms to complete. You don't need to tell the businesses you are applying to whether you have a SIN or not and they can still offer you a job.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:38 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Aviator,

Cheers

Glassy
If I can butt in ...

Yes, you can apply for Canadian jobs. As soon as you have landed you are a permanent resident with the legal right to work. Technically, you don't even need a SIN to start work. You are required to provide it to your employer within a reasonable time - usually within two weeks or before your first pay day.

One thing I disagree with The Aviator about is that, in practice, some employers use your SIN card/number as proof of your eligibility to work. Although not the law, it is a widely used practice. You will be in a competitive job market so why put yourself at a disadvantage unnecessarily. The last thing you want to do is to be arguing with a new or prospective employer that they don't know Canadian employment law - even if they don't.

I don't see a single downside to getting your SIN on your landing trip as long as you have a mailing address to receive the card.

Last edited by JonboyE; Oct 1st 2010 at 4:40 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
No they won't. Until you become a tax resident and earn income they don't want to know you. Many people have a SIN that don't earn income nor file tax returns. However I do wonder why one would go to the bother of applying for a SIN until residing permanently.
Agreed - simply obtaining a SIN is not going to cause anyone any trouble.

As for why someone might want a SIN before residing in Canada permanently....My daughter is a Canadian citizen who is living in the US. She's planning to attend university in Canada and she got her SIN ahead of time as it's one less thing to worry about when she moves there. She also wants to open a Canadian bank account before she goes to uni and she wants to work part-time in Canada while at uni - maybe even before she attends uni. She's just doing as much of the prep work as she can ahead of time.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Glassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your help everyone, it's much appreciated

Glassy
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Aviator,

Cheers

Glassy
You can apply for jobs and be offered a job without a SIN. You can even start work without a SIN as long as the employer knows you are eligible to work in Canada (e.g. you're a Canadian permanent resident or citizen). However, the employer must see your SIN card within 3 days of you starting work. More info for employers here:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/s...bilities.shtml