SIN Cards

Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all
Default SIN Cards

Hi all!!

Do we need to apply for SIN cards as soon as we land, or is that only applicable once you want to start working?

Landing on reccy in Sept for big move 12-18 months later, won't apply for SIN if not needed!

Thanks
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:50 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIN Cards

Originally Posted by JBJ14
Hi all!!

Do we need to apply for SIN cards as soon as we land, or is that only applicable once you want to start working?

Landing on reccy in Sept for big move 12-18 months later, won't apply for SIN if not needed!

Thanks
You may not need a SIN if you dont want to work but I applied for mine in Calgary and it only took 10 minutes. So if I was you I'd consider applying for it if I could spare 10 minutes while on a reccy

Last edited by Edo; Jul 15th 2010 at 9:53 am.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:15 pm
PR living in Vancouver

jobop will become famous soon enoughjobop will become famous soon enough

Do you need a home address to get your SIN card?

If I am lucky enough to reach the landing stage then I will be staying in holiday accommodation / hotel first before finding the right rental so my address will be a temporary one before we get truly settled...

... so can you get your sin card without a fixed address e.g. on a reccy / landing trip then returning to UK before moving back even though you do not know the address you will be living at?

Thanks
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:17 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jobop
Do you need a home address to get your SIN card?

If I am lucky enough to reach the landing stage then I will be staying in holiday accommodation / hotel first before finding the right rental so my address will be a temporary one before we get truly settled...

... so can you get your sin card without a fixed address e.g. on a reccy / landing trip then returning to UK before moving back even though you do not know the address you will be living at?

Thanks
They issue you the SIN number straight away but the card takes a while to come. Cant you give them the same address that you will be using for your PR card?
Old Jul 15th 2010, 11:12 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!!

Thanks
You are coming to Vancouver right? If you've got an address for PR cards, you may as well get you SIN number too. It's right down town (somewhere near hastings/granville I think) - it doesn't take very long to do.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:40 am
PR living in Vancouver

jobop will become famous soon enoughjobop will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Edo
They issue you the SIN number straight away but the card takes a while to come. Cant you give them the same address that you will be using for your PR card?
I don't have a PR address as I do not know anyone in Canada - will have to get a rental sorted straight away and then let them know what my PR address is later, according to the Wiki I believe you get 6 months to submit your PR address before there is a charge for it.

My plan is when we land officially, if we do not need to return to the UK, then we will stay somewhere for about a week like a hotel / holiday accommodation and then get a rental sorted during that time. So PR address and Sin card will have to wait until the rental is sorted.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!!

I'd advise against applying until you really need to, because until you apply for a SIN the CRA aren't aware of your existence. You only really need a SIN to start work or to file a tax return (or for certain other federal reasons, claiming OAS, etc.) If you end up going back to the UK until say, next year and you have a SIN, the CRA will wonder why you haven't filed a T1 for 2010.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:07 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I'd advise against applying until you really need to, because until you apply for a SIN the CRA aren't aware of your existence. You only really need a SIN to start work or to file a tax return (or for certain other federal reasons, claiming OAS, etc.) If you end up going back to the UK until say, next year and you have a SIN, the CRA will wonder why you haven't filed a T1 for 2010.
No they won't. This is perfectly normal.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:32 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Your SIN is your account# with the CRA, this is a fact. There's no point to having one until you need it.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:44 am

Your SIN is your account# with the CRA, this is a fact. There's no point to having one until you need it.
My view is that it's got to be done at some point. I did it when I landed as I was staying down town and it was easy. It's then one less thing to do when you move here permanently, and the tax people really won't take any extra interest in you because of it.

(I was actually asked to supply my SIN number by my employer before I came here as I signed my employment contract whilst I was still in the UK)
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

david_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nice

i didnt have an address when i got my SIN (i was living in a hotel in banff, and came out to calgary to apply). you can get them to send it back the place where you apply, and then drop in to pick it up whenever. i believe they take about 3 weeks, so hopefully that would cover the duration of your trip. if you will be elsewhere in the country you could also send it to "general delivery" in that city.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Glassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the rough

Hi All,

My other half and I are due to land in Calgary in the next couple of weeks. We’ll only be staying for a week before heading back to the UK with a view of returning to Canada permanently in early 2011. We were going to apply for our SIN Cards whilst over in October but in light of Steve’s comment above (re the CRA potentially asking why we haven’t submitted a T1 for 2010) I may now delay our SIN application until we return next year. I’ve been reading through various posts in an effort to seek some clarity regarding this subject matter, but I’m getting conflicting messages. So I’d be grateful if someone could confirm whether the CRA will indeed start to take an interest in us because we’ve obtained our SIN Cards, even though we’ll only be landing, staying a week and then heading back to the UK until March/April 2011?

Cheers All

Glassy
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply by mail from outside Canada although you can also get a SIN on the spot at a Service Center in Canada.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/a...applying.shtml

I live in the US but was able to obtain a SIN for my daughter via mail. It didn't take long - a few weeks I think. They mail back your supporting documents.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Glassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You can apply by mail from outside Canada although you can also get a SIN on the spot at a Service Center in Canada.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/a...applying.shtml

I live in the US but was able to obtain a SIN for my daughter via mail. It didn't take long - a few weeks I think. They mail back your supporting documents.
Thanks for the link MarylandNed, very useful. I couldn’t find anything within the Service Canada web-site relating to my CRA query though. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Glassy
Old Oct 1st 2010, 2:07 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glassy
So I’d be grateful if someone could confirm whether the CRA will indeed start to take an interest in us because we’ve obtained our SIN Cards
No they won't. Until you become a tax resident and earn income they don't want to know you. Many people have a SIN that don't earn income nor file tax returns. However I do wonder why one would go to the bother of applying for a SIN until residing permanently.

Last edited by Aviator; Oct 1st 2010 at 2:31 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.