Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

SIM only Phone Contract

SIM only Phone Contract

Old Feb 24th 2020, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

shaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond repute
Default SIM only Phone Contract

Hey folks,

I just arrived on an IEC WP at the weekend, and working through my list of IDs to apply for etc. I popped into Fido today to pick up a sim only month to month thing and was flat out refused. I was expecting them to ask for a silly amount of money for a deposit in the worst case, but the computer flat out refused me. I have a job to start etc so I can provide that info if they ask but they didn’t even give me the opportunity. They told me to come back in 6 months. Luckily my UK SIM will keep roaming for a bit so I have the time to sort something out.

Anyone had any luck getting a month to month SIM just after landing? Or another operator that might be a bit more lenient (e.g. let me provide proof that I can afford to pay) I’m loathed to go prepaid as the offerings are pretty bad and it doesn’t help me in any way for building credit etc.

Shaun
Old Feb 24th 2020, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIM only Phone Contract

Koodo Prepay. No contract $15/month, which includes 250MB of data and unlimted texting. You buy booster packs for extra data and minutes, which don't expire. They don't ask for any proof of anything. Just go to the kiosk at almost any mall and buy a SIM then set up an account online to activate it.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 8:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

7-11 https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/deal?...SAAEgIDkvD_BwE
Freedom - https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/prepaid-plans

Make sure you ask for PREPAY - also known as Pay As You Go.
You might find the wiki of use too https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Cell_Phones-Canada

(Oh - and Welcome to Canada eh! Enjoy!)

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 24th 2020 at 8:16 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Allie73
Koodo Prepay. No contract $15/month, which includes 250MB of data and unlimted texting. You buy booster packs for extra data and minutes, which don't expire. They don't ask for any proof of anything. Just go to the kiosk at almost any mall and buy a SIM then set up an account online to activate it.
Exactly what we have both done and used for 2 years now. Works well, you just have to remember to buy top up's every couple of months(although Koodo sends text reminders).

It must be a good deal, as they have tried several times to get us to 'upgrade' to a normal contracts - for guess what? More money. Yeah, i'll be doing that!!!
Old Feb 25th 2020, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

I use Public Mobile and they're pretty decent, I think my 5gig plan with unlimited calls and text is around $38/month
Old Feb 25th 2020, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

shaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks, the Koodo ($65 7 GB) deal looks almost identical to the plan I was going to pick for Fido - so that looks like what I’ll go with!
Old Feb 25th 2020, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Kanukki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeMatt
I use Public Mobile and they're pretty decent, I think my 5gig plan with unlimited calls and text is around $38/month
+1 for Public Mobile. They operate on the Telus network (same as Koodo). You can pick up a sim card from various places, including Walmart or online.

Another option to look into is Lucky Mobile. They operate on the Bell network. You can grab their sim cards from Dollarama.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 1:20 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

another vote for Public Mobile.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

I’m with Chatr direct deposit each month $40 I get 5 GB unlimited mins and text including texts to uk never had a problem with them.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

pawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond reputepawxpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shaunc89
Thanks folks, the Koodo ($65 7 GB) deal looks almost identical to the plan I was going to pick for Fido - so that looks like what I’ll go with!
Get public mobile. Same network. Cheaper prices. And includes international texts which Koodo normally doesn't.

Once you get some credit there are better deals you can get. But get used to negotiating.
Standard rates in Canada are criminally high and low service. You have to fight to get deals, but with some work you can get a good (for canada) deal. But don't expect anything close to anywhere else in the world.

In my 13 years here I bet I average 1 change of network for every year. Loyalty gets you nowhere. You have to switch and play them against each other to get deals.

Plus get used to them flat out lying to you. My mum tried to get the plan I'm on and they lied to her face it doesn't exist even though I was stood with her on the phone and they could see my account. It often takes multiple escalations to managers before they cave in and give you something.

Cell phones are one of the worst things in Canada and I take great pleasure in paying them as little as possible. There is no competition here. Just lots of price fixing that the government turns a blind eye to.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

unobscure is an unknown quantity at this point

Was about to ask the same question so thanks for all the replies.

One additional question. Do you/can you keep the same number when you swap networks or do you have to have a new one each time
Old Feb 26th 2020, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unobscure
Was about to ask the same question so thanks for all the replies.

One additional question. Do you/can you keep the same number when you swap networks or do you have to have a new one each time
You can keep your number. I switched from Virgin to Koodo and kept my number. I recently helped a relative switch from Fido to Koodo and she was able to keep her number.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 4:03 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Just tell them you want to port your number to your new provider... don't cancel your service until you have done so - follow the suggested course of action here: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/num.htm

Keep your phone number when you switch

Most importantly, do not cancel your service before you switch to the new provider.Tell your new phone provider that you want to keep your number. They will take care of the transfer for you – they’ll ask for some personal details to set up your account and ask you which services you want to keep, remove or change.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

The OP asked for non-prepaid so i'll pitch in re postpaid services.

Try all the 'little' providers' (owned by the big three.) Fido you've already been refused, so try Koodo and failing that try Virgin. They all have the same offers but different policies / YMMV around being approved.

Personally as someone who uses their phone heavily the prepaid offerings aren't enough for me. My phone bill is 115+tax to finance an iPhone, unlimited everything and 20GB data. Would be 75/month for the same plan if i bought my phone outright. TBH it is a lot better then it was 5-6 years ago.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Tip - try to go to the bank and get a credit card before signing up, then that way you will have an open line of credit on your report as opposed to nothing. There are banking packages out there designed for newcomers - will give you a $500-1000 credit limit to start. Something to start building credit with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.