British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Sim only or PAYG deal for iPhone in Toronto (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/sim-only-payg-deal-iphone-toronto-702340/)

DigitalGhost Jan 25th 2011 10:53 pm

Sim only or PAYG deal for iPhone in Toronto

Can anybody recommend a good iPhone compatible cell service in Toronto? I had a look around in the mall today but to be honest the whole system over here confuses the hell out of me.

I unlocked my own 3GS before leaving the UK but Rogers do not offer an unlimited data package in the GTA unfortunately and most of the best deals I enquired don't support the iPhone at all because of the frequency restrictions.

ducktastic Jan 25th 2011 10:59 pm

Re: Sim only or PAYG deal for iPhone in Toronto

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 9128786)
Can anybody recommend a good iPhone compatible cell service in Toronto? I had a look around in the mall today but to be honest the whole system over here confuses the hell out of me.

I unlocked my own 3GS before leaving the UK but Rogers do not offer an unlimited data package in the GTA unfortunately and most of the best deals I enquired don't support the iPhone at all because of the frequency restrictions.

mmm I have an unlocked iphone 4 and last week got a month to month contract with Rogers for $55 in Vancouver. I get 150 mins of calls and 500mb of data. I do pay an extra few dollars for a bundle that gives me 250 text messages to the UK every month.

I had to pay a $200 deposit, that I get back in 6 months because I am a newbie to Canada.

I was on PAYG and it was costing me double that as I was having to pay for data separately.

Not sure this helps as you are in the GTA, but you could always ask Rogers about it? There website suggests it is National.

PS - the Rogers shops were bloody useless, girl cocked it up royally, and did not seem to be clued up on the plans, so I rang the call centre and they sorted it straight away, I would recommend going that route, number is on website.

DigitalGhost Jan 25th 2011 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by ducktastic (Post 9128793)
mmm I have an unlocked iphone 4 and last week got a month to month contract with Rogers for $55 in Vancouver. I get 150 mins of calls and 500mb of data. I do pay an extra few dollars for a bundle that gives me 250 text messages to the UK every month.

I had to pay a $200 deposit, that I get back in 6 months because I am a newbie to Canada.

I was on PAYG and it was costing me double that as I was having to pay for data separately.

Not sure this helps as you are in the GTA, but you could always ask Rogers about it? There website suggests it is National.

PS - the Rogers shops were bloody useless, girl cocked it up royally, and did not seem to be clued up on the plans, so I rang the call centre and they sorted it straight away, I would recommend going that route, number is on website.

Thanks man, I'll look into that. Admittedly the 'no unlimited data on smartphones' thing came from the flyer which I picked up though and the guy in the store admitted to me that the offers were actually quite crap.

I can't believe how far behind they are over here when it comes to these things, not that it's a bad thing as they are far too prevalent in the UK sometimes but surely there is a happy medium. :)

ducktastic Jan 25th 2011 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 9128808)
Thanks man, I'll look into that. Admittedly the 'no unlimited data on smartphones' thing came from the flyer which I picked up though and the guy in the store admitted to me that the offers were actually quite crap.

I can't believe how far behind they are over here when it comes to these things, not that it's a bad thing as they are far too prevalent in the UK sometimes but surely there is a happy medium. :)

You are welcome. They are pretty rubbish to be honest, and I was surprised by it, but with the deal I got, I am now paying what I was in the UK for my phone with Orange...so can't grumble too much!

PS - you said 'man' but I'm a ladeeeeeeee! ;)

dbd33 Jan 25th 2011 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 9128786)

Telephones aren't very interesting, haven't you better stories? Where are you staying? Have you explored Church St? Can you work the trams?

DigitalGhost Jan 26th 2011 12:34 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9128831)
Telephones aren't very interesting, haven't you better stories? Where are you staying? Have you explored Church St? Can you work the trams?

We're on Charles Street at the moment and have tried the subway but not the trams although the subway alone needed a fair bit of deciphering when we tried it for the first time last night. We've been to Korea town and done walking around and a bit of shopping so far but I've been trying to get some of the boring paperwork out of the way this week so we've registered for SIN's and the OH got her phone today. I'm hoping to get a bank account and phone sorted out over the next couple of days so then we can hopefully sample Church St at the weekend. :)

DigitalGhost Jan 26th 2011 12:37 am

Originally Posted by ducktastic (Post 9128822)
You are welcome. They are pretty rubbish to be honest, and I was surprised by it, but with the deal I got, I am now paying what I was in the UK for my phone with Orange...so can't grumble too much!

PS - you said 'man' but I'm a ladeeeeeeee! ;)

I think BC might be a bit better in this respect than ON, I've had a look online and the best I've been able to find is $45 + HST with Bell including an email only data allowance which will likely only work with a Blackberry as well. A bit of a far cry away from the £15 p/m I have been paying for 500 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data in the UK but I suppose we have no choice.

Sorry about the man remark, I really do have no excuse since you even have the female icon on your profile.:o

rich07 Jan 26th 2011 3:50 am

There doesn't seem to be an unlimited data option available. Payg is really expensive for data, would suggest a month to month contract most big operators offer these

ducktastic Jan 26th 2011 3:55 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 9128906)
I think BC might be a bit better in this respect than ON, I've had a look online and the best I've been able to find is $45 + HST with Bell including an email only data allowance which will likely only work with a Blackberry as well. A bit of a far cry away from the £15 p/m I have been paying for 500 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data in the UK but I suppose we have no choice.

Sorry about the man remark, I really do have no excuse since you even have the female icon on your profile.:o

Don't worry I will let you off!

I do think it is worth phoning the call centre to see what you can get though...

Canadian_Fig Jan 26th 2011 9:38 am

I think the days of unlimited data packages are numbered anyway, since the iphone 4 O2 have ceased to offer them.
I don't think you can get unlimited anymore in the UK.

DigitalGhost Jan 26th 2011 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Canadian_Fig (Post 9129663)
I think the days of unlimited data packages are numbered anyway, since the iphone 4 O2 have ceased to offer them.
I don't think you can get unlimited anymore in the UK.

You can with 3, they introduced pretty much the only remaining tarriff for new customers late last year in order to boost their customer base.

DigitalGhost Jan 26th 2011 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by ducktastic (Post 9129160)
Don't worry I will let you off!

I do think it is worth phoning the call centre to see what you can get though...

Yeah I might do that today and just see if I can get a decent rolling month sim only deal.

Tbh, I'm not even arsed about data anymore now, there's no point if it's going to cost that much and all I really wanted was to be able to send/receive email without having to rely on random wifi hotspots.

ChrisBan Jan 26th 2011 2:42 pm

I came here 5 minutes ago to start this exact thread, so keep us posted on what you decide.

I was looking at Telus and on their plans you get free local calls on your birthday lol!

fledermaus Jan 26th 2011 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 9130158)
You can with 3, they introduced pretty much the only remaining tarriff for new customers late last year in order to boost their customer base.

I don't know if it would apply to iPhones too but my Rogers Blackberry has an unlimited text, email and voice monthly plan but not tied into any period. I did have data too but it wasn't worth the hassle of wondering if I was going over the allowance. I can download attachments and photos on my email but not connect to links- obviously.

I pay around $50 a month.

This wasn't listed on their literature or website but the Rogers shop sorted it out for me.

DigitalGhost Jan 26th 2011 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisBan (Post 9130298)
I came here 5 minutes ago to start this exact thread, so keep us posted on what you decide.

I was looking at Telus and on their plans you get free local calls on your birthday lol!

I did try Wind today but they don't support the iPhone unfortunately as the iPhone uses a weird frequency compared with most other cellphones in North America, which I think is why a couple of networks have the monopoly on it in the US.

I'll probably just end up getting something like Rogers My5 and leaving out the data since that's only $20 p/m + tax and does pretty much everything else that I would need.