Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sim only or PAYG deal for iPhone in Toronto

Sim only or PAYG deal for iPhone in Toronto

Old Feb 5th 2011, 1:10 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sim only or PAYG deal for iPhone in Toronto

Originally Posted by billyphatu
PS Maybe by the time I arrive, there will be a really cheap iPad 3G plan as well
You have to be kidding don't you, if you used the phrase 'tablet PC' in most stores here then they would probably hand you an own brand asprin made by President's Choice. They are positively light years behind us in terms of mobile technology.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

billyphatu will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
You have to be kidding don't you, if you used the phrase 'tablet PC' in most stores here then they would probably hand you an own brand asprin made by President's Choice. They are positively light years behind us in terms of mobile technology.
I was kidding about the 'cheap' part - but when I was in TO last year, it was just as the iPad came out in North America and we saw plenty of iPads in the coffee shops. I think it's the telecoms companies that are far behind.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

northerndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nice

I was in a ROGERS yesterday, and some bloke was getting tied into a 3 YEAR contract for an iphone! and he didnt even know what his email addie was
Old Feb 6th 2011, 10:33 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerndave
I was in a ROGERS yesterday, and some bloke was getting tied into a 3 YEAR contract for an iphone! and he didnt even know what his email addie was
Sounds about right, from my experience so far their staff seem to be very well trained at exploiting those without English for a first language, which obviously in Toronto equates to around 40% of the entire population.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 10:49 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Word of warning - if you are going abroad get the roaming data package for the month you are travelling.

My parents took the kids to Seattle for the weekend - now being the silly immigrant I didnt even THINK about cell phone use - its all the same land mass innit!

Daughter downloaded 4 pics to facebook - $7500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:19 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Word of warning - if you are going abroad get the roaming data package for the month you are travelling.

My parents took the kids to Seattle for the weekend - now being the silly immigrant I didnt even THINK about cell phone use - its all the same land mass innit!

Daughter downloaded 4 pics to facebook - $7500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was another reason why I've opted for PAYG over here, at least at first anyway, I was shit feared of accidentally straying outside my 'normal service area' and copping a massive bill as a result.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:20 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

That was another reason why I've opted for PAYG over here, at least at first anyway, I was shit feared of accidentally straying outside my 'normal service area' and copping a massive bill as a result.
Indeed - I ended up having a MAHOOSIVE ruck on the phone with them and got to the point of about to cancel all 3 accounts when they pulled the charges!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:23 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Indeed - I ended up having a MAHOOSIVE ruck on the phone with them and got to the point of about to cancel all 3 accounts when they pulled the charges!
Yeah the guy in Rogers was trying to sell a $50 contract to a Chinese woman when we were in there on the back of that sort of thing. Apparently they refuse the issue contracts for iPhones or Blackberries in Ontario now without an unlimited data plan to prevent situations like that occuring but as the woman quite rightfully pointed out, $50 p/m is a lot to spend on a phone for a young kid.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:26 pm
half a century

Yeah the guy in Rogers was trying to sell a $50 contract to a Chinese woman when we were in there on the back of that sort of thing. Apparently they refuse the issue contracts for iPhones or Blackberries in Ontario now without an unlimited data plan to prevent situations like that occuring but as the woman quite rightfully pointed out, $50 p/m is a lot to spend on a phone for a young kid.
Yeah - if we had taken the $50 roaming for that month it would have been covered, but in BC you can just buy it for when you are travelling .

What I want to know is, what happens if you live right by the border> ??
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:29 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I think they would likely insist on a specific handset configuration otherwise the phone could start seeking and connecting to US networks as a roaming tourist whenever it loses standard signal.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah - if we had taken the $50 roaming for that month it would have been covered, but in BC you can just buy it for when you are travelling .

Not sure but I turned off emails on my Blackberry when I was in the USA and while we were waiting for the ferry back the emails started to come in via Rogers. So presumably it only logs onto your service provider?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:48 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Not sure but I turned off emails on my Blackberry when I was in the USA and while we were waiting for the ferry back the emails started to come in via Rogers. So presumably it only logs onto your service provider?
Hmm dunno - my emails came thru in uk - but I had a roaming package.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

billyphatu will become famous soon enough

So how do cell plans work there? Are they specific to a geographic area/province, or can you use them nation-wide?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billyphatu
So how do cell plans work there? Are they specific to a geographic area/province, or can you use them nation-wide?
Looking forward to seeing what the replies to this question are, because right now you just get shafted for trying to call anyone, I hate the Canadian cell phone system.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conjonway
Looking forward to seeing what the replies to this question are, because right now you just get shafted for trying to call anyone, I hate the Canadian cell phone system.
The way it works is very stupid. You will get a cell phone number local to the city you sign up with, calling outside of that city will result in long distance charges, your minutes won't cover long distance. Texts can work province to province from your inclusive amount as far as im aware. It really is very dated compared to the Uk.

As far as in iPhone bundle goes I'm on virgin mobile, on a rolling 30 day contract (no credit check - just needed credit card) I get 100 mins, unlimited text, unlimited international text, 6GB of data (included tethering to computer) voicemail and caller Id. Total cost $65 a month. Signed up for it last august so don't know if you can get it anymore! I looked around for ages and believe me when i say this is the best deal by far!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.