Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sim only or PAYG deal for iPhone in Toronto

Sim only or PAYG deal for iPhone in Toronto

Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:26 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sim only or PAYG deal for iPhone in Toronto

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I don't know if it would apply to iPhones too but my Rogers Blackberry has an unlimited text, email and voice monthly plan but not tied into any period. I did have data too but it wasn't worth the hassle of wondering if I was going over the allowance. I can download attachments and photos on my email but not connect to links- obviously.

I pay around $50 a month.

This wasn't listed on their literature or website but the Rogers shop sorted it out for me.
The Blackberry tarriffs don't support iPhone unfortunately, they are BB-unique. The iPhone just comes under the category of 'smartphone' over here but a lot of networks won't support it at all unfortunately.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I did try Wind today but they don't support the iPhone unfortunately as the iPhone uses a weird frequency compared with most other cellphones in North America, which I think is why a couple of networks have the monopoly on it in the US.

I'll probably just end up getting something like Rogers My5 and leaving out the data since that's only $20 p/m + tax and does pretty much everything else that I would need.
Tricky one, I've got an iphone 4 and mainly use it for the web. It gets damn expensive when you want to add on web allowance to a call plan by the looks of things

Last edited by ChrisBan; Jan 26th 2011 at 10:27 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:37 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Well I just ended up on My5 PAYG with Rogers, it's a shit tariff to be honest and costs $30 + tax or a lot less than I could have gotten in the UK for half that amount of money but I don't really know anybody yet and so have no real use for a phone other than for job and house hunting. You can also use calling cards here for free on your mobile so we have a card which costs $2 and allows over 6 hours of calltime to the UK for that amount.

I decided to forego the data because I can't justify the extra cost right now and open public wifi points seem much more common here than they were in Britain anyway and because I'm new to the country Rogers wanted a $200 security deposit just for a free sim card and rolling month contract with no handset provided by them which even the guy in the store told me was taking the piss. I possibly should have still taken it though as it could have been an easy way into establishing a credit history for myself over here but nevermind.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

Well I just ended up on My5 PAYG with Rogers, it's a shit tariff to be honest and costs $30 + tax or a lot less than I could have gotten in the UK for half that amount of money but I don't really know anybody yet and so have no real use for a phone other than for job and house hunting. You can also use calling cards here for free on your mobile so we have a card which costs $2 and allows over 6 hours of calltime to the UK for that amount.

I decided to forego the data because I can't justify the extra cost right now and open public wifi points seem much more common here than they were in Britain anyway and because I'm new to the country Rogers wanted a $200 security deposit just for a free sim card and rolling month contract with no handset provided by them which even the guy in the store told me was taking the piss. I possibly should have still taken it though as it could have been an easy way into establishing a credit history for myself over here but nevermind.
Has anyone tried Fido?

Also, how long do Rogers want to keep your $200???
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
Has anyone tried Fido?

Also, how long do Rogers want to keep your $200???
6 months...
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:07 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Yes, sorry it was 6 months according to the guy in the store but he also said that if I managed to get another line of Canadian credit during that time then they may be able to refund it back to me sooner in the store.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Now that's weird.. my son has a Rogers account for his smartphone, he is on a no contract month-to-month set up. It's a phone from the UK - he just bought the sim card from Rogers. He has unlimited texts etc., (usual stuff) and a data limit of 500mb (I think - it could be 1Gb). He pays $75 a month (+ overusage charges of course) and an additional $5 for voicemail. He was not required to put down a deposit. We are in the "Hammer" which comes under the GTA banner (kind of, lol).

I would suggest going to a different store and asking what they can do for you - that seems a ridiculous amount of deposit to pay!

Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

northerndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nice

[QUOTE=DigitalGhost;9135866] You can also use calling cards here for free on your mobile so we have a card which costs $2 and allows over 6 hours of calltime to the UK for that amount.

Can you tell us more about this as Im flying out on Friday and this will be terrific for me
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:23 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't work for them, I don't give a toss about them but I've heard that Mobilicity have really good packages if you live in a proper city.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 10:18 pm
Sidecar Falcon

[QUOTE=northerndave;9144998]
You can also use calling cards here for free on your mobile so we have a card which costs $2 and allows over 6 hours of calltime to the UK for that amount.

Can you tell us more about this as Im flying out on Friday and this will be terrific for me
It's called the Europe Unlimited card and a lot of convenience stores and street vendors sell them here in Toronto.

I actually bought another one today from a little magazine booth in Bloor subway station.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:26 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

We got one from Ebay when we first arrived, still got it now in the wifes fone, 2 years on, pay as you go, she has the unlimited txt set up on it now.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ROGERS-SIM-CARD-1...#ht_2913wt_902
Old Feb 4th 2011, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

northerndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nice

Thanks for the link Ive bought one, know just to find a phone card
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

billyphatu will become famous soon enough

Useful thread, thanks DigitalGhost & co.

I too hate relying on open WiFi when roaming around a city, so when my time comes I will look around for a decent data package and be a little more thrifty with my usage. I know that cell plans in Canada are much more expensive, especially iPhone ones. But my iPhone is the second most important thing in my life after my beautiful fiancée. (She would argue differently).

PS Maybe by the time I arrive, there will be a really cheap iPad 3G plan as well
Old Feb 5th 2011, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

Originally Posted by billyphatu
Useful thread, thanks DigitalGhost & co.

I too hate relying on open WiFi when roaming around a city, so when my time comes I will look around for a decent data package and be a little more thrifty with my usage. I know that cell plans in Canada are much more expensive, especially iPhone ones. But my iPhone is the second most important thing in my life after my beautiful fiancée. (She would argue differently).

PS Maybe by the time I arrive, there will be a really cheap iPad 3G plan as well
Hubbie got a $60 per month sim from Fido for his UK Iphone handset. Unlimited texts, inc INTERNATIONAL but only 500MB of data.

Seems ok to me, no?
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
Hubbie got a $60 per month sim from Fido for his UK Iphone handset. Unlimited texts, inc INTERNATIONAL but only 500MB of data.

Seems ok to me, no?
what talk time does he get with this package?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.