Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Silly things I LOVE about Canada

Silly things I LOVE about Canada

Old Jun 15th 2005, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Silly things I LOVE about Canada

Originally Posted by Souvenir
1) People, even tradesmen, taking their shoes off when they come into your house, without being asked to.

2) Drivers understanding that six year old children playing street hockey do not constitute a legitimate target (maybe that's not silly).

3) Being able to buy beer at the gas station (available only in Quebec; certain conditions may apply).

4) Colleen Jones (dunno why, but for some reason I just would)

5) This woman. I must find her.
http://www.jobs-emplois.gc.ca/menu/home_e.htm

Colleen Jones - arrrrgh she is one of my pet peeves , I can't stand her....

However your number 5 choice was more on the money

other great things about Canada

1 - Kids not swearing all the time
2 - no empty beer bottles or cans strewn about the Streets
3 - Front Gardens without fences
4 - Halloween - done right
Old Jun 16th 2005, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Since you said silly things...

Winterfresh gum with a decent flavour (reminiscint of Germolene!), not the mild mint yuck in Britain of the same name.

Being able to buy 100 paracetamol in a tub for better value without it being illegal to sell you're off to top yourself.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 8:42 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deeana
Here are my top three silly things I LOVE about Canada.
1 - polar bear swims
2 - fruit leather
3 - Ian HandsomeManThing (Hanomansing)
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:34 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeUK
you've got the location spot on....

and the reason I'm being crptic is I signed a few non-disclosure agreements when I worked for another company with a similar set of buildings but in but based in another city.....
Any chance you can get them to start brewing bitter (the proper stuff - flat and warm)? I had my hopes cruelly dashed a while back when I discovered imported hand-pulled Fuller's being sold in a pub in Ottawa. It doesn't seem to travel very well. Neither does it like being chilled.

As an aside, is Canadian sold under a different name in Quebec? I've never seen any.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Biiiiink

Being able to buy 100 paracetamol in a tub for better value without it being illegal to sell you're off to top yourself.
It took me four years to discover that paracetomol and Tylenol (acetaminophen) are the same thing.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:12 pm
Banned

Sharmagirl will become famous soon enoughSharmagirl will become famous soon enough

It took me four years to discover that paracetomol and Tylenol (acetaminophen) are the same thing.

Let see I miss:

Tim Horton's!!!
Pamprin!!!
Large bottles of Tylenol
Open spaces
Blue sky
Hot weather
Cold weather
Snow
Good Schools
Rootbeer
Turtles - (choccy)
Tootsie Rolls
BIG bags of crisps!

I could go on for a while.....

Sharma
Old Jun 16th 2005, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I guy I loathed at work would always make me bring back tubs of Tylenol because "...it's so much better than anything you can get here". How I laughed when I looked up the ingredients one day
Old Jun 16th 2005, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sharmagirl
Let see I miss:

Tim Horton's!!!
Pamprin!!!
Large bottles of Tylenol
Open spaces
Blue sky
Hot weather
Cold weather
Snow
Good Schools
Rootbeer
Turtles - (choccy)
Tootsie Rolls
BIG bags of crisps!

I could go on for a while.....

Sharma
My mother (a Canadian for 40 years before she emigrated to the UK, then to the US) still travels to Canada to get turtles. Love those things (or rather used to love them before I became allergic to dairy and can't eat chocolate anymore!).
Old Jun 16th 2005, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Cathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Silly things I LOVE about Canada

... what I love?
Finally being here!!! (Landed y'day)

... and so far we're been out for dinner in a bar with table service, HUGE portions - but what I love is DOGGY BAGS!!!!

... and having our first Tim Horton's in 3 years (hhhmmm.... Iced Caps!!!)

... having fresh coffee for breakfast with waffles

... and having 3 job interviews lined up already for me, and finding out Scott has 2 as well!!!!

Sorry, it's only been 24 hours, but I'm sure our list will be bigger soon!

Wendy
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

deeana is on a distinguished road

Having cougars on the back deck and racoons in the garbage! Springwatch eat your heart out!!!

Deeana

PS I love Springwatch and Bill and Kate.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

racoons in the garbage!
What do you do with yours ?

We've tried poisoning them with antifreeze (no result), shooting them with a handgun (effective but loud and you have to wait up), beating them to a pulp with a spade (loud, have to stay up and messy), running them down with the car (good if they're on the ground) and gassing them with the car exhaust (ok but you have to catch them first). The neighbour has taken to shooting squirrels with a rifle then poisoning the corpses and leaving them for the raccoons, this seems elaborate and ineffective.

I want to kill them all but in a way with the minimum mess and little risk to the local children. Have you tried a crossbow ?
Old Jun 16th 2005, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
What do you do with yours ?

We've tried poisoning them with antifreeze (no result), shooting them with a handgun (effective but loud and you have to wait up), beating them to a pulp with a spade (loud, have to stay up and messy), running them down with the car (good if they're on the ground) and gassing them with the car exhaust (ok but you have to catch them first). The neighbour has taken to shooting squirrels with a rifle then poisoning the corpses and leaving them for the raccoons, this seems elaborate and ineffective.

I want to kill them all but in a way with the minimum mess and little risk to the local children. Have you tried a crossbow ?
Who says there's nothing to do in Canada in the winter?
Old Jun 16th 2005, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Christmas lights on all the houses!

Tours to see the Christmas lights on all the houses!!

Christmas lights in the shape of xmas trees on the Pan Canadian building!!! :scared:
Old Jun 16th 2005, 4:56 pm

Christmas lights on all the houses!

Tours to see the Christmas lights on all the houses!!

Christmas lights in the shape of xmas trees on the Pan Canadian building!!! :scared:
Christmas tree lights on many of the houses from the day after haloween until well after Easter
Old Jun 16th 2005, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Christmas tree lights on many of the houses from the day after haloween until well after Easter
But they sure are purty!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.