British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Silly mistake :thumbdown: (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/silly-mistake-thumbdown-912163/)

Brooks52 Apr 26th 2018 7:16 am

Silly mistake :thumbdown:

Hi All

I may have been tagged by a traffic light camera today. It would have been a split second on red, but I mayhave also been a little over the limit too, to get me through the light on time..

Does a ticket & points usually have any impact on immigration? I know proper court convictions for driving offences can, but not sure about this. I have just had my COPR through and am planning to go and land in October to activate it.

Stupid mistake and I'm annoyed at myself!

uk_grenada Apr 26th 2018 7:25 am

Re: Silly mistake :thumbdown:

Doubt if it has any impact so long as you pay the fine.

Brooks52 Apr 26th 2018 7:29 am

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 12489443)
Doubt if it has any impact so long as you pay the fine.

I need to stop watching Border Force Canada - it makes me paranoid

"Have you ever had any convictions"
"No"
"I can see here you had a speeding ticket in 1995, you have lied to me about your history - INADMISSIBLE!"

Former Lancastrian Apr 26th 2018 9:10 am

Wont impact as the speeding/red light ticket will be under Provincial law and not Federal. Pay the ticket and you will be fine.

dbd33 Apr 26th 2018 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12489492)
Wont impact as the speeding/red light ticket will be under Provincial law and not Federal. Pay the ticket and you will be fine.

I don't think the crime was committed in Canada,

Brooks52 Apr 26th 2018 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12489585)
I don't think the crime was committed in Canada,

Enough of the crime talk :rofl:

Yeah it was in the UK

dbd33 Apr 26th 2018 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Brooks52 (Post 12489589)

Yeah it was in the UK

As I understand it ...

The way it goes with other heinous offenses; murder, GBH, voting for Brexit, is that they're considered as if they occurred in Canada. Thus, the first two are considered as federal offences and the latter a crime against humanity. Something like non-payment of poll tax would be considered equivalent of a Provincial offence, as property taxes are paid locally.

So, if the immigration authorities were initially interested in the red light camera issue, it wouldn't have any impact as it's the equivalent of a Provincial offense. Since it's not a criminal conviction anyway I don't think there's any obligation to report it and it would never be considered.

Souvy Apr 26th 2018 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Brooks52 (Post 12489589)

Yeah it was in the UK

I doubt that it even counts as a crime.

Brooks52 Apr 26th 2018 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12489592)
As I understand it ...

The way it goes with other heinous offenses; murder, GBH, voting for Brexit, is that they're considered as if they occurred in Canada. Thus, the first two are considered as federal offences and the latter a crime against humanity. Something like non-payment of poll tax would be considered equivalent of a Provincial offence, as property taxes are paid locally.

So, if the immigration authorities were initially interested in the red light camera issue, it wouldn't have any impact as it's the equivalent of a Provincial offense. Since it's not a criminal conviction anyway I don't think there's any obligation to report it and it would never be considered.

Thanks - my mind is at ease now. Not as much as it will be if I don't get a fine, but still at ease..

Siouxie Apr 26th 2018 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Brooks52 (Post 12489436)
Hi All

I may have been tagged by a traffic light camera today. It would have been a split second on red, but I mayhave also been a little over the limit too, to get me through the light on time..

Does a ticket & points usually have any impact on immigration? I know proper court convictions for driving offences can, but not sure about this. I have just had my COPR through and am planning to go and land in October to activate it.

Stupid mistake and I'm annoyed at myself!

Why so long? Why not activate it sooner and then return to the UK until such time as you are ready to move over? (a "soft landing"). Don't leave it til the last minute and do please check the date on your COPR to ensure it won't expire before you are planning on landing!

Brooks52 Apr 26th 2018 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12489641)
Why so long? Why not activate it sooner and then return to the UK until such time as you are ready to move over? (a "soft landing"). Don't leave it til the last minute and do please check the date on your COPR to ensure it won't expire before you are planning on landing!

COPR only came through a few weeks ago - it's valid until Feb next year. We plan on moving over around then, so if I have a soft landing in October I can start job hunting/try and get interviews lined up. If I go now it's a waste