Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Should we SELL or BRING it all with us

Should we SELL or BRING it all with us

Old Dec 11th 2005, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we SELL or BRING it all with us

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Beware of online delivery costs - they've scrapped their flat-fee and do it by weight now. I think it cost me something like 120 CAD to have 320 CAD's worth of bookcases delivered. Steep, but I couldn't find anything I liked round here...

They don't tell you the delivery cost when you place the order either, you have to give a phone number and they call you up in a day or two and tell you what it will cost, and ask if you'd still like to go ahead. Strange system indeed!
ikea has many strange systems, if it werent so cheap i wouldn't bother..It was a nightmare buying and getting our kitchen delivered :scared:
Old Dec 11th 2005, 5:20 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Beware of online delivery costs - they've scrapped their flat-fee and do it by weight now. I think it cost me something like 120 CAD to have 320 CAD's worth of bookcases delivered. Steep, but I couldn't find anything I liked round here...

They don't tell you the delivery cost when you place the order either, you have to give a phone number and they call you up in a day or two and tell you what it will cost, and ask if you'd still like to go ahead. Strange system indeed!
Ouch that would hurt just a tad.

According to their website this is what they say for Ikea Calgary.

"Home delivery for the City of Calgary is at a flat rate of $59 for the first 20 pieces being delivered. $2 will be charged for additional pieces. Delivery to outlaying areas is available starting at $79. All deliveries will be completed within 7 days of your purchase."

Not cheap, or you can rent a truck through them.

"Drive it Home Now! Van rentals from $19.99*
* Based on 2 hour rental, tax not included, must be 25 years of age with a valid drivers license and a Major Credit Card. Proof of same-day purchase is also required. See store for details."

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Hangman; Dec 11th 2005 at 5:24 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 5:21 pm
anjit

we like IKEA, there is at least 2 round our way. Their $1 breakfats is flippin' marvelous as well. There is more stuff in the store than online or in teh catalogue, so it's good to go in.

We just bought a queen size bed and mattress there, bookcases, poyang chairs, bed for our daughter, breakfast table and chairs, curtain rods et al. They even sell their own line of appliances now and the stoves are self-cleaning ones as well.

When buying these appliances, it's good to checkout the energy consumption stickers

Old Dec 11th 2005, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds right. I should have said if you're not going to a store, there is no flat fee delivery anymore. There's the "delivery from store" option where you go and select the items yourself, pay for them, and then take your cart and arrange delivery for your 59 or 79 CAD; and then there's the "by weight" online ordering service (where they don't sell their full range and exclude the really cheap stuff).

The van rental idea sounds great! I used to laugh at cars exiting the car park with occupants clinging on to oversized items sticking out of windows/boots/roofracks

Originally Posted by Hangman

According to their website this is what they say for Ikea Calgary.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

thesnodgrass is on a distinguished road

Yep beware Ikea Canada.

We ordered loads of stuff - found they didnt have what we wanted but ended up with suggested alternatives - charged my credit card TWICE causing me to get a transaction declined in Canadian Tire because I was over the limit - took ages to sort out - made me feel it was my mistake somehow rather than theirs - charged a huge amount to bring it to Victoria from Vancouver.

Old Dec 11th 2005, 5:54 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to laugh at cars exiting the car park with occupants clinging on to oversized items sticking out of windows/boots/roofracks
A thermos of coffee and I'd be good for a half days entertainment.

Doesn't take much to amuse me.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 6:15 pm
anjit

If you are still tempted by the online buying at ikea, here is a discount coupon offer

IKEA.ca
$50 Off
Save $50 off online or phone purchases of $350+ with coupon code ID-50350-1205
Exp: 12/23/05

Old Dec 11th 2005, 7:07 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds just like the commercially inefficient wonder that is Office Depot.

Stage 1 of purchase: One office chair price $125 +
Delivery fee: "not sure".
Delivery date: "two weeks, maybe more"
Stage 2 of purchase: write down in little black book
Stage 3 of purchase: "aw, some guy will call you when it's in stock"
Stage 4 of purchase: lost in the system
Phone call expected: fall 2007

Rich
FISH NOT FISHBURGERS
Old Dec 12th 2005, 1:37 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
and IIRC Canadian queen is roughly the same as UK king.
I've been trying to stretch the UK double fitted sheet over my Canadian Queen size mattress for the last 6 months...................Doh !!!!!!!!
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:00 am
Worth the wait...

wiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by wiggs1034
Two questions:

2. Are the stories of UK wooden furniture drying out and cracking true (depends on humidity levels I suppose, but a few people have told us this is true in Calgary - our destination)? Is Canada (or even Ikea) furntiure more fit for purpose as it does not dry out and collapse?

Thanks
Any truth to the "dryness theory"?
Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

A NEW LIFE - BUY NEW GEAR AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can assure you that - unless your great, great whatever heirloom is still in your possession - Then flog it, include it in house sale, boot sale it or give it away.

By the time you`ve stressed and paid to ship items other then what you fly out with on the day - against how cheap and well made the Canadian product is, white goods and furniture definitely - you`ll see what I mean!!!
Old Dec 12th 2005, 2:24 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of contrary opinions here
Old Dec 12th 2005, 2:50 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Lots of contrary opinions here
It all depends. If you have low end UK furniture replacable by cheap or cheaper Canadian equivalent, then there is probably nothing to gain by shipping it. e.g. 5k GBP worth of Ikea grade stuff might cost $10k here. Selling it will "cost" less than shipping it all.

For mid to upscale grade UK furniture, check out replacement cost and/or whether equivalent product/style is available. If it is available chance is it's more expensive. There is no way we could obtain the type of furniture we had in the UK, in Canada. As it goes, what is available here in Canada would compliment what we have and there's no complaints re price or quality of stuff here.

It's just that if you've spend many thousands of GBP on nice kit, why try to dispose of it for a relatively low shipping cost ? To my mind people who are encouraging others to "flog everything" are just adding to the level of expense on top of what is already an expensive act.

My 2c. We're happy with the decisions we made.

Rich.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 5:01 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Sounds like the same as we decided Rich. We sold some stuff off but a lot of our furniture is comming over. Having had a look around since getting here I feel it would cost more to replace it and the hassle of going around the shops and having it delivered etc - no thanks not for me.

Originally Posted by Rich_007
It all depends. If you have low end UK furniture replacable by cheap or cheaper Canadian equivalent, then there is probably nothing to gain by shipping it. e.g. 5k GBP worth of Ikea grade stuff might cost $10k here. Selling it will "cost" less than shipping it all.

For mid to upscale grade UK furniture, check out replacement cost and/or whether equivalent product/style is available. If it is available chance is it's more expensive. There is no way we could obtain the type of furniture we had in the UK, in Canada. As it goes, what is available here in Canada would compliment what we have and there's no complaints re price or quality of stuff here.

It's just that if you've spend many thousands of GBP on nice kit, why try to dispose of it for a relatively low shipping cost ? To my mind people who are encouraging others to "flog everything" are just adding to the level of expense on top of what is already an expensive act.

My 2c. We're happy with the decisions we made.

Rich.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wiggs1034
Any truth to the "dryness theory"?
Don't most homes have a built-in humidifier? I wouldn't live in AB without one...my face cracked and nearly fell off on my last visit, never mind the furniture

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.